• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I know a few MDS members expressed intersts in LEO jobs.

http://www.harfordsheriff.org/

NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR DEPUTY SHERIFF RECRUITShare
    Today at 10:50am
    POSITION VACANCY #10-S02

HARFORD COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
    DEPUTY SHERIFF RECRUIT
    (Eligibility List Only)
    $42, 973

CLOSING DATE: APRIL 7, 2010
    WORK LOCATON: VARIOUS SHERIFF’S OFFICE FACILITIES
    HOURS OF WORK: ALL SHIFTS

NATURE OF WORK: Harford County Sheriff’s Office is seeking to establish an eligibility list for the position of Deputy Sheriff Recruit, with responsibility for delivering law enforcement service throughout the County. A Deputy Sheriff patrols the County to maintain law and order, responds to calls for service, executes on-view arrests, checks County businesses for security, responds to reports of criminal complaints and makes necessary investigations, delivers personal service upon inhabitants of the County of civil process issued out of Circuit and District Court of Harford County and also those civil papers forwarded from other jurisdictions within the state and out of state, executes by arrest all warrants issued, transports prisoners to and from penal institutions and courts in and out of Harford County, and maintains courtroom decorum during criminal trials and juvenile proceedings.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
    High school graduate or possession of GED certificate; valid Class D or Class C non-commercial driver’s license with no more than three (3) points and relatively clean driving record with no convictions for DUI or DWI, including Probation Before Judgment. Ability to obtain a working knowledge of Annotated Code of Maryland, Harford County Ordinances, Uniform Traffic Code, Harford County Sheriff’s Office Rules and Regulations, Harford County Government resources, state and federal agencies, District Court Commissioner system, Circuit and Juvenile Court processes, and Law Enforcement Code of Ethics; become skilled in the use of firearms, defensive driving, and self-defense techniques; complete Firearms Qualifications, Physical Training, Academic Standards and other training by the Sheriff’s Office. Knowledge of problem solving techniques, grammar, spelling, arithmetic, and verbal and non-verbal communication skills.

SELECTED CANDIDATE: Must be 21 years of age and a U.S. citizen. Pass thorough background and criminal record check; entrance level exam with or without reasonable accommodation (min. score 70%); pass physical agility test; provide handwriting sample for review; medical exam and drug/alcohol screening; polygraph exam and psychological screening; appear before and receive favorable recommendation from Oral Interview Board; attend mandatory pre-employment orientation program. Selected candidates must successfully complete MPCTC Entrance Level Training Academy. Academy has a rigorous fitness program and quasi-military atmosphere.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    CANDIDATE SELECTED FOR POSITION MUST PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION AND MUST UNDERGO AND PASS A COUNTY PRE-EMPLOYMENT MEDICAL EXAM TO INCLUDE URINE DRUG SCREENING. CANDIDATE MUST ALSO PASS A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK. AN EMPLOYEE DESIRING A TRANSFER MUST APPLY.
    *****************************************************************************************************************************************************************Application must be obtained from the Harford County Sheriff’s Office, 45 S. Main Street, Bel Air, MD 21014 or call 410-836-5456 or toll-free 877-562-3888. APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED IN FULL, SIGNED IN ALL DESIGNATED AREAS, AND RETURNED TO THE HARFORD COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE RECRUITMENT UNIT BY APRIL 7, 2010. If mailing application, please send to Julie Oakes, P.O. Box 150, Bel Air, MD 21014.

WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
    WE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF DISABILITY
    POSTED MARCH 10, 2010

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    CANDIDATE SELECTED FOR POSITION MUST PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION

Uh, okay, glad they cleared that up.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    As long as they'll take me at rank, tenure and pay, sure! Actually that's not half bad for local starting pay.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    As long as they'll take me at rank, tenure and pay, sure! Actually that's not half bad for local starting pay.

actually....laterals now keep their time up to 10 yrs experience and on a differnent pay grade based on prior service. you won't keep your rank of course. we have LEOPPS now and it pretty stable retirement. take home car and except for our MDT's state of the art equipment. also military is front loaded instead of back so a lateral with 10 yrs LEO and 4 yrs military gets 14 yrs toward retirement...thats not bad!!! 25 yr Ret:thumbsup:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Anyone else interested, the Harford County Detention Center should be hiring soon!! For those who are under 21. At this time the county looks like we will be participating in a buy out of employees eligible to retireand then consilidating position. This will be good for the county b/c HCPS is very fat w/ employees w/ 30+ yrs. IMO I anticipate job openings in Education and Public Safety. Good Luck!!

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    FYI...i'm not a recruiter. if you have any questions best bet it to contact the Office

Application must be obtained from the Harford County Sheriff’s Office, 45 S. Main Street, Bel Air, MD 21014 or call 410-836-5456 or toll-free 877-562-3888. APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED IN FULL, SIGNED IN ALL DESIGNATED AREAS, AND RETURNED TO THE HARFORD COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE RECRUITMENT UNIT BY APRIL 7, 2010. If mailing application, please send to Julie Oakes, P.O. Box 150, Bel Air, MD 21014.

I don't want to make it sound like I don't want to help but i'm far removed from the hiring process. I do teach in the academy...you'll see me there

Punchabearinnamouf

High Tech Redneck
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hollywood, MD
    Me and a buddy are applying for St. Mary's Co. Sheriff.
    Can't get the preliminary tests for 9 months, so we're gonna go in corrections first and go after Deputy when the opportunity comes up :D:thumbsup:

I thought about starting a thread called "Police" or something to ask LEO members some questions, but somehow I just didn't think that'd work out the way I planned it... :innocent0

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    Been considering a career change myself so thanks for the info.Had been hoping for Baltimore or Howard County but couldn't hurt to give it a try.Would also be taking a sizeable pay cut but the way things are at work it might be worth it.Law enforcement was the plan when I was in my early twenties but I took the advice of the fiancee and started another career.That choice was good for the time but have always wondered if I should have kept trying to become a police officer.The time for a change is here..hell rumor has it my employer will be making a very tempting offer for me to leave voluntarily.

Nejer9

Sweet lil girl w/ a Gun
    Jan 17, 2009
    Bel Air, MD HarCo
    Can anyone give me insight in to the 10 week training "boot camp" for Correctional officers? There accepting apps for CO's right now as well..... I'm interested in possibly going in to it.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    are you talking about the CO academy?? in order to be certifed you have to complete the academy...i think its 13 weeks here at HCC. If you're intersted in being a CO...apply for it. its involved....my friends are instructors and one run the academy for CO.

pm...i'll give you her info you can call her on Mon. she's very easy to talk to and dating a guy on my shift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom