• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    Just an FYI,

I got an email 25 days after receiving my Not Disapproved notice from MSP, reminding me to pick up a recent firearm purchase from my FFL. It said to contact them if I had already taken possession, which I had. I contacted them and they told me that my FFL had not fully completed the transfer of the firearm under the new online 77R procedure (an honest mistake). I was told to return the firearm to the FFL, have them complete the transfer (5 minutes), and then I would be allowed to legally take immediate possession. I have since gotten this all taken care of.

Part of the email said, "There are components of the approval that will expire in 5 days. Expiration of these components may result in a delay of the firearm transfer."

Apparently, the NICS check would need to be done again if the firearm isn't transferred within 30 days of receiving your Not Disapproved notice.

I just want to make you all aware that this can be an issue. If MSP sends you this email and you miss it, or that 5 days otherwise expires, you are now in possession of a firearm that doesn't show as ever being legally transferred to you. Big problem. The only other issue is that the 30 day waiting period to buy another handgun now begins on the new transfer date.

The silver lining is I was forced to submit Designated Collector paperwork to avoid the wait, surprisingly at the recommendation of the MSP rep I spoke with.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Just an FYI,

I got an email 25 days after receiving my Not Disapproved notice from MSP, reminding me to pick up a recent firearm purchase from my FFL. It said to contact them if I had already taken possession, which I had. I contacted them and they told me that my FFL had not fully completed the transfer of the firearm under the new online 77R procedure (an honest mistake). I was told to return the firearm to the FFL, have them complete the transfer (5 minutes), and then I would be allowed to legally take immediate possession. I have since gotten this all taken care of.

Part of the email said, "There are components of the approval that will expire in 5 days. Expiration of these components may result in a delay of the firearm transfer."

Apparently, the NICS check would need to be done again if the firearm isn't transferred within 30 days of receiving your Not Disapproved notice.

I just want to make you all aware that this can be an issue. If MSP sends you this email and you miss it, or that 5 days otherwise expires, you are now in possession of a firearm that doesn't show as ever being legally transferred to you. Big problem. The only other issue is that the 30 day waiting period to buy another handgun now begins on the new transfer date.

The silver lining is I was forced to submit Designated Collector paperwork to avoid the wait, surprisingly at the recommendation of the MSP rep I spoke with.
    Growing pains..... as FFL I have a final online step that must be completed when weapon transferred. Sort of like old way of mailing in signed 77r when transfer complete. That one didn’t catch me but confess it might have on first one I did if I wasn't checking on types of reports it will create.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    Yeah, growing pains for us all. And like I said, I'm sure it was an honest mistake. It's been completely rectified, and I even watched them contact other customers to make them aware. I just wanted to give a heads up to fellow customers and FFL's alike that are navigating this new system.

I do, however, like that the MSP generates an email when the Not Disapproved comes back, and the 5 day pickup warning. Saved my hide.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have only done one. When I did it, they went online to do what I believed was their part.
    They printed me a copy.
    Steyr40, did they print you a copy?
    I wonder if there is a status when you log in to show you have not picked it up and they have not finished it off.

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    I have only done one. When I did it, they went online to do what I believed was their part.
    They printed me a copy.
    Steyr40, did they print you a copy?
    I wonder if there is a status when you log in to show you have not picked it up and they have not finished it off.
    They did not print me a copy at first because it's all available online now. But, I watched as we did all the online stuff, and it all seemed completed. Apparently, there's a final step they have to log back in to complete, where they'll need your PIN again. I did get a copy on the return visit when I got the transfer corrected. Your question prompted me to check my account and it's all there. It has my application date, my Not Disapproved date, and now my Transfer date. So, great question! That's a good way to know if the entire process was done correctly. I guess I had to learn the hard way.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    It is ridiculous to be transporting a firearm that needs a paperwork completion.

If it stays at home while the paperwork snafu is corrected, nobody gets hurt and nobody goes to jail if stopped with a firearm that cannot be verified as belonging to the driver. Seriously, what does the presence of the firearm at the FFL on this "return trip" have to do with anything? The FFL has the serial number, or the new owner can snap a pic and bring it in.

And if they new firearm owner is Not Disapproved, what's the crisis? If the new owner has to return to the FFL to check the boxes and re-sign all over again, it is just a formality because the Not Disapproved is already a fact.

More MSP stupidity.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I'd have been tempted to contact them back to let them know they should either rewrite their SOP's or be more careful about sending out Not Disapproved dispositions when all the paperwork isn't done correctly. Have a nice day, and call my lawyer if you want to contact me further about this matter. This was their dropping of the ball if they approved a transfer without everything being correct. If someone set up the system so a transfer could be approved and completed before all critical paperwork was completed then that's also their responsibility. Not the citizen's responsibility to go back to the FFL with the gun and get it fixed. Just my opinions.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I'd have been tempted to contact them back to let them know they should either rewrite their SOP's or be more careful about sending out Not Disapproved dispositions when all the paperwork isn't done correctly. Have a nice day, and call my lawyer if you want to contact me further about this matter. This was their dropping of the ball if they approved a transfer without everything being correct. If someone set up the system so a transfer could be approved and completed before all critical paperwork was completed then that's also their responsibility. Not the citizen's responsibility to go back to the FFL with the gun and get it fixed. Just my opinions.
    Just speculating, but it seems to me this final process is the online version of mailing signed forms to MSP. In that short time frame that paperwork under old way was in the mail you had your copy of paperwork to prove you aquired weapon correctly. The actual enhancement now is MSP sends you a notice if everything was not finalized. Under manual system you would have had no way of knowing if form was never mailed back to MSP. Just my thoughts....

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    It is ridiculous to be transporting a firearm that needs a paperwork completion.

If it stays at home while the paperwork snafu is corrected, nobody gets hurt and nobody goes to jail if stopped with a firearm that cannot be verified as belonging to the driver. Seriously, what does the presence of the firearm at the FFL on this "return trip" have to do with anything? The FFL has the serial number, or the new owner can snap a pic and bring it in.

And if they new firearm owner is Not Disapproved, what's the crisis? If the new owner has to return to the FFL to check the boxes and re-sign all over again, it is just a formality because the Not Disapproved is already a fact.

More MSP stupidity.
    That was my exact argument. I even asked what my recourse would be if I'm stopped on the way back to the FFL. Full disclosure, my FFL was on conference during this conversation and fought for me every step of the way. We were transferred to a Sgt. He said as long as the serial # matched the paperwork, and I was the actual transferee, there was no need for the firearm to be present. But he made it sound like he was doing me a favor.

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    Just speculating, but it seems to me this final process is the online version of mailing signed forms to MSP. In that short time frame that paperwork under old way was in the mail you had your copy of paperwork to prove you aquired weapon correctly. The actual enhancement now is MSP sends you a notice if everything was not finalized. Under manual system you would have had no way of knowing if form was never mailed back to MSP. Just my thoughts....

Exactly. My argument was that the system was put in place as a safeguard, knowing people may be taking possession without the final transfer being completed properly. Hence the "If you've already taken possession" part. The email begins the 5 day period in which you must get the transfer completed, or return the firearm. Seems to me the email should be generated a week after the Not Disapproved. Who waits 25 days to pick up their gun?

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Exactly. My argument was that the system was put in place as a safeguard, knowing people may be taking possession without the final transfer being completed properly. Hence the "If you've already taken possession" part. The email begins the 5 day period in which you must get the transfer completed, or return the firearm. Seems to me the email should be generated a week after the Not Disapproved. Who waits 25 days to pick up their gun?
    Suspect triggered by 30 days for NICS and then it needs to be updated if weapon not transferred.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

They should split the difference and make it "2 weeks" that way if you haven't picked it up in 2 weeks, which would cover pick up of the majority of transactions, you have plenty of notice. Sometimes it is a couple of days before I check e-mail and if it then hits a weekend or holiday a 5 day window could make you scramble.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    The new system, though in its infancy and imperfect, is a HUGE improvement over the old one and has made selling and transferring handguns exponentially easier for dealers, especially with regard to proper record keeping; I like it.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The new system, though in its infancy and imperfect, is a HUGE improvement over the old one and has made selling and transferring handguns exponentially easier for dealers, especially with regard to proper record keeping; I like it.

So transfer fees are $5 then, right? :popcorn:

;) :D

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen

More MSP stupidity.

I understand your thought process, but the leaving home of the firearm isn't going to happen. As a gun store employee, "I" swear or affirm that the above information is true. MY name goes on the verification line, not my employers. Unless I have the firearm in my hand to verify the serial with my own eyes, it doesn't happen.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Steyr40, your doing a good service to point this out.

I think one way to check for ourselves is that once you are not dissapproved by MSP, if you log in, you will see an expiration date in the right column. You will also see the resend email button.
    Neither exist if all the actions were done. If you click the Print application button, you will see in the application the part where you digitally signed the receipt of the firearm (they actually do the clicking though I recall). "Sign upon Transfer of firearm". That date is the date you received it. If that is not completed, then the dealer did not finish the transfer. On future transactions, I plan to see if I can view on my phone before I leave the shop as a double check. Last year and before this online system, you got a copy of your transfer pages to take home. I can see where they are asking you to bring it in, because part of the process of the FFL is to verify Sn to finish the transfer. They did not finish it properly and needed to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom