• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Take a look at the actual white paper when you get a chance ...

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/do...the-white-paper-on-firearms-regulations/2325/

It's more far reaching in its suggestions than the Post is covering (15 or so different areas). I can understand the Washington Post focus (with Donald Trump Jr pics) on removing this regulatory burden from suppressors as this has some Congressional support/interest. Other things this guy touches on include green tip 5.56 ammo, the stabilizing braces, using the more appropriate terminology of "modern sporting rifles" instead of the (incorrect) pejorative assault rifles, the importance/significance of sporting activities such as 3-gun shooting, enabling FFLs to sell at out-of-state gun shows, getting rid of outdated/useless regulations, etc. Just amazing.

:party29::party29:

The important part: Without impacting crime.

I'd add getting rid of SBRs as a classification. Who cares if you put a stock on a pistol.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I guess I'll just remember how it was going to be "The Wild West!" if anybody got liberalized CCW.

OK. Never believed in that one. I'm all for CCW though I prefer to OC.

Don't see the point. Are you agreeing with the anti position that items like suppressors should remain controlled because some may use them in crimes? That there is going to be an "explosion" in crime if suppressors and FA are suddenly unregulated?

Just saying it WILL happen. Can you imagine the MSM giving it a fare shake?
    I can see the headlines now..."Trump Makes Guns Deadlier For Inner Cities"

I personally don't believe they ever belonged in the NFA.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    outrider58;4689694Can you imagine the MSM giving it a fare shake? I can see the headlines now..."Trump Makes Guns Deadlier For Inner Cities" I personally don't believe they ever belonged in the NFA.[/QUOTE said:
    Good lord, don't give them any ideas.....

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    I hate to piss on yawls campfire, but soon as the hood rats can lay their hands on readily available suppressors, they will probably be used quite heavily in street crimes.
    guys who are committing street crime want CONCEALABLE guns. and it's not like you couldn't make illegal suppressors right now anyway.

yeah, i think it's fair to say the more of them out there, the more you'd see in crime, but other than that...

media's going to hype it as EVIL no matter what the result is. when the federal AWB expired, we didn't see an increase in crime. hasn't stopped countless politicized cops from testifying about explosions in violent crime that the sunset of AWB totally, totally caused.
    Kinda liken it to when GB legalized heroin, ya know, to cut down on crime and such. Heroin addictions exploded.
    i do know that Portugal decriminalized heroin use, and heroin use did not increase.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    dancing banana , this might be good, do we sit on our hands and wait or is there something we can do?

As for criminals using suppressors ... they are sold at Jerry's! Just hear say but PG cop friend on the scene of a murder told me they were finding small pieces of food (two all beef patties, pickles, lettuce, onions and a sesame seed bun) just splattered everywhere, then realized a sub sandwich was used to suppress the noise. "Watch your movies people" ... Danny McBride I believe? I guess I know what I am having for lunch and with this weather today I will be in the field! pew, pew, pew.

maybe post the article on the book of faces, or twitter it to the Donald? sorry just thinking out loud and ICBW

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    guys who are committing street crime want CONCEALABLE guns. and it's not like you couldn't make illegal suppressors right now anyway.
    Yup.

Outrider you are sounding like you live in a tightly controlled state of MD, my friend, please don't take offense and I see where you are coming from but hell, this is a little positive.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    [Tin foil hats on] Could this be a preemptive action, knowing that SCOTUS is not going in their favor, thus preserving what little power they honestly do have?

If the NFA act was challenged, could it hold up against a new SCOTUS?

Basically what I am wondering, if by taking the steam out by removing the 'low hangin fruit,' does this not in a sense distract the organized resistance?

Trust me, I'm all in favor of what is stated in this white paper, but I am a cautious soul and this seems a little to good to be true - given as others have said, this came from a career civil servant.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    OK. Never believed in that one. I'm all for CCW though I prefer to OC.

Just saying it WILL happen. Can you imagine the MSM giving it a fare shake?

MSM wouldn't give a fair shake to anyone but police and military owning a cap pistol. And that's as long as they're on duty when they have the cap pistol.

I can see the headlines now..."Trump Makes Guns Deadlier For Inner Cities"

I personally don't believe they ever belonged in the NFA.

Ok, fair enough.

Other things that won't happen:

The Soviet Union will never dissolve.

Trump will never beat Hillary.

No team who's behind in the first half of the Superbowl will ever win it.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Some states REQUIRE Federal Registration for NFA devices to be legal. Im not saying reduced regulations is a bad thing, but it may be a bad thing for some residents of some states.

I believe MD is one of those states.

This would finally cause me to abandon Maryland.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Yup.

Outrider you are sounding like you live in a tightly controlled state of MD, my friend, please don't take offense and I see where you are coming from but hell, this is a little positive.

I can see where he's coming from and I have other issues. Lets just say that suppressors come off of the NFA list. Now they can be bought just like anything else. Lets go 4 years into the future. Lets say that just a few of the thousands of suppressors bought are used in crimes. Don't you think that the Libs are going to use that information to try to make these weapons of mass murder illegal? Completely illegal. Now we don't have the NFA to keep them legal. They can, with the swipe of a pen, be made illegal for ALL to own. Don't bet that they won't be used as a bargaining chip either. Since there won't be that many out there, some politician could say okay sure Libs, I'll give up the legality of suppressors if you give me this or that.

Don't say it couldn't happen. That fact that they lose their NFA "protection" is scary in my books.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    This would finally cause me to abandon Maryland.

Me too. Reading the bill seems to imply that we are good as they will be considered registered without the registration.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/367/text
    “(f) Firearm silencers.—A person acquiring or possessing a firearm silencer in accordance with Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, shall be treated as meeting any registration and licensing requirements of the National Firearms Act (as in effect on the day before the date of the enactment of this subsection) with respect to such silencer.”.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I can see where he's coming from and I have other issues. Lets just say that suppressors come off of the NFA list. Now they can be bought just like anything else. Lets go 4 years into the future. Lets say that just a few of the thousands of suppressors bought are used in crimes. Don't you think that the Libs are going to use that information to try to make these weapons of mass murder illegal? Completely illegal. Now we don't have the NFA to keep them legal. They can, with the swipe of a pen, be made illegal for ALL to own. Don't bet that they won't be used as a bargaining chip either. Since there won't be that many out there, some politician could say okay sure Libs, I'll give up the legality of suppressors if you give me this or that.

Don't say it couldn't happen. That fact that they lose their NFA "protection" is scary in my books.

They can do that at any time *now*, and they certainly do not need to resort to *facts*. I mean, the anti-gun anti-suppressor campaign consists of mostly quoting a Hollywood move (Bond). :lol2: Seriously, when was the last time you saw them using facts and evidence?

I would not worry about what they *might* do. The crime/murder rate in Baltimore and Chicago is astronomical. I doubt legality of suppressors will affect that.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

They can do that at any time *now*, and they certainly do not need to resort to *facts*. I mean, the anti-gun anti-suppressor campaign consists of mostly quoting a Hollywood move (Bond). :lol2: Seriously, when was the last time you saw them using facts and evidence?

I would not worry about what they *might* do. The crime/murder rate in Baltimore and Chicago is astronomical. I doubt legality of suppressors will affect that.

It would be much more difficult to make them illegal now, but once they are unregulated, it will be much easier for the Libs to use their power of spouting "factual information" to work on making them illegal.

You have to worry what your opponent might do. It's like a game of chess, you have to think of both your opponent's next move as well as your won.

If you never worry about that may happen, you'll find yourself looking back and asking what happened.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    They are not using suppressors now, so I doubt anything would change. They could use oil filters or make their own cans easy enough if they wanted. NFA laws only impact us, not criminals. In fact, a prohibited person caught with an unregistered machine gun is not subject to NFA penalties. Seriously.

What in the world? Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom