• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    *** I have no desire or plans to do this - it's just a question we were kicking around at work***

This started when someone commented that you can buy an upper without going through an FFL.

Say you have a Maryland legal HBAR AR. Can you legally swap out an upper with a NON-HBAR upper?

For example - Can you legally put a Colt 6920 upper with the M4 Barrel with Grenade Launcher cutout on a Colt 6721 lower?

Common sense tells me no but I know common sense and MD gun laws don't always align. This is an academic debate - my guns are all legal and I have zero desire to change uppers on them.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Not unless that lower was purchased prior to October 2013. The law is dumb.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    But yet uppers can be purchased online WITHOUT going through an FFL. Makes no sense but oh well :shrug:

But you can't buy the lower even if it is stripped of all parts without going through an FFL. In the eyes of the law the upper is the same as buying a new barrel to replace one that is damaged.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Even if you make your own lower, after Oct 2013 it can only be topped with an HBAR in Maryland.

We're on the honor system here - and its belief suspended.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    But yet uppers can be purchased online WITHOUT going through an FFL. Makes no sense but oh well :shrug:

Makes perfect sense. For AR platforms, ATF defines the firearm as the lower receiver, more specifically the stripped lower receiver. Everything else on the rifle is non-regulated, meaning no FFL dealer is required to buy everything else.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    get whatever uppers you want and ride to VA, WVA, Delaware, oe PA abd switch them out and shoot to your hearts delight and change them back to our BS standards before you come home. dont short yourself of fun because of the MGA, fvck them.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    get whatever uppers you want and ride to VA, WVA, Delaware, oe PA abd switch them out and shoot to your hearts delight and change them back to our BS standards before you come home. dont short yourself of fun because of the MGA, fvck them.

:beer: I concur.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i bought a DD 10.3" upper. I could not even legally store it with a lower until I had my tax stamp in hand.

not the exact same thing but the concept is the same

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    i bought a DD 10.3" upper. I could not even legally store it with a lower until I had my tax stamp in hand.

if your lower was never built into a rifle could you not store them together since you could build it into a pistol?? i believe so.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    yeah i could but i had no pistol buffers so I didn't want to chance being charged with constructive possession. I was simply pointing out you can't put a MD illegal upper on a legal lower.

probably not a good analogy

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    yeah i could but i had no pistol buffers so I didn't want to chance being charged with constructive possession. I was simply pointing out you can't put a MD illegal upper on a legal lower.

i was just wondering. shit is so crazy in this state i thought i may have missed something.:thumbsup:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Let's not erect restrictions that don't exist. The state of MD has no legal construct regarding intent. Regardless, it wouldn't be wise to transport a post-ban lower (sans upper) next to a pre-ban upper. But, assuming you're not prohibited, there's nothing MD can legally do if you transport a complete post-ban rifle in the same vehicle as pre-ban uppers.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

All you need is a carbine buffer with the stock removed from what I understand.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Let's not erect restrictions that don't exist. The state of MD has no legal construct regarding intent. Regardless, it wouldn't be wise to transport a post-ban lower (sans upper) next to a pre-ban upper. But, assuming you're not prohibited, there's nothing MD can legally do if you transport a complete post-ban rifle in the same vehicle as pre-ban uppers.

i dont believe there are any banned uppers. nothing they can do about uppers that would cause a rifle to be banned until its installed on a lower. according to the atf uppers are just parts until they are installed on a lower, as far as i know. if not someone enlighten me.

not a dig, just trying to figure this out for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom