• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WIMN

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 10, 2016
    Hello all,

I wanted to see if you good folks could offer some insight for me, because I read a comment here which had to do with something that weighs on my mind frequently.

Like many MD'ers, I would like, but cannot have, an MD Wear and Carry permit. Many times I have toyed with the idea of going through the training and submitting an application just for the hell of it, to see if reason might prevail...(yes, I know. But hope springs eternal)...But I have always been stopped by concern for what happens if the application is denied:

Being possessed of one non-resident permit, and having researched others, I know that some states require you to disclose whether you have been denied a CCW. I have therefore hesitated, as I don't want to disqualify myself. However, I read here earlier today that MD makes some distinction between being "denied" and "disapproved" or some such, which negates that concern. So the question I pose is this: Have I anything to fear from being denied?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Hello all,

I wanted to see if you good folks could offer some insight for me, because I read a comment here which had to do with something that weighs on my mind frequently.

Like many MD'ers, I would like, but cannot have, an MD Wear and Carry permit. Many times I have toyed with the idea of going through the training and submitting an application just for the hell of it, to see if reason might prevail...(yes, I know. But hope springs eternal)...But I have always been stopped by concern for what happens if the application is denied:

Being possessed of one non-resident permit, and having researched others, I know that some states require you to disclose whether you have been denied a CCW. I have therefore hesitated, as I don't want to disqualify myself. However, I read here earlier today that MD makes some distinction between being "denied" and "disapproved" or some such, which negates that concern. So the question I pose is this: Have I anything to fear from being denied?

Others have run into this and have gotten by by disclosing that they were denied a MD permit and then used the "if yes" to mention that they did not meet statute ("good and substantial").

Haven't done this myself yet. I've been denied by DC twice specifically for not meeting their equivalent of "good and substantial". That said, I am a Utah CFP holder and instructor and if I were a prohibited person, Utah would have already yanked my credentials.

IANAL and YMMV

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I did not have a problem obtaining, and renewing a UT permit based on disclosing was disapproved for a Maryland permit. I think all the freedom loving states know that we are F'kd.
    As mentioned in another thread I think the wording is along the lines, denied for prohibitive reasons.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    if denied,yes. If disapproved, no. .

IMO, they arr different terms and mean different things. My W&C permit was disapproved by MSP for lack of G&S. IMO, Disproved is used for admin reasons, denied is used for prohibitive reasons, like a criminal history. My letter has the word disapproved in bold, indicating there is a difference to be noted.

I don't recall how many apps I have filled out have asked this question, but I have always answered NO if they ask if I have been denied. I have never had an issue,m and I have 8 permits.

To me I don't see a disapproval as a denial. But IANAL either

my disapproval letter is attached

Attachments

• license letter.jpg
      license letter.jpg
      53.9 KB · Views: 597

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    if denied,yes. If disapproved, no. .

IMO, they arr different terms and mean different things. My W&C permit was disapproved by MSP for lack of G&S. IMO, Disproved is used for admin reasons, denied is sued for prohibitive reasons, like a criminal history. My letter has the word disapproved in bold, indicating there is a difference to be noted.

I don't recall how many apps I have filled out have asked this question, but I have always answered NO if they ask if I have been denied. I have never had an issue,m and I have 8 permits.

To me I don't see a disapproval as a denial. But IANAL either

my disapproval letter is attached

^^THIS, and it's been discussed multiple times in the past. Words are everything in the law, that's why vague terms require court interpretation. DENIED means denied-you don't get it, period. DISAPPROVED means it wasn't approved for any number of reasons. Disapproved is not a DENIAL although the practical results are the same in this state.
    The state of Maryland is smart enough not to overtly deny CONSTITUTIONAL rights.

WIMN

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 10, 2016
    Thanks all!

Sounds like I've some classes to take, and a letter to write. :D

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    That's an urban legend as far as I'm concerned. I've never heard of anyone getting denied in another state because of not meeting "good cause", "justifiable need," or whatever the Jim Crow equivalent language is.

I disclosed I had been denied in NJ because of "justifiable need" on the Maine CCW and had no issues at all.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    This came up again when the PA thing was going on. Pa stopped accepting FLA, Utah and a bunch of others, but they started accepted NH nr permits. There is a long thread about it. Being part of the 365, I was disapproved, not denied, so i answered no to the question. Had my NH nr in a few weeks.

RadialXX

Jan 3, 2016
    Something I wonder is, with all the applications that are disapproved, what happens if Hogan or MSP change SOP and "self defense" is G&S, Do all these applicants have to retake the 16hr class, reapply again? wonder how that would all play out. I would think if application was less than 2 years old it would get a quick review and approved...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    training is good for 2 years

prints for 30 days.

who knows what MSP would do. Given their past history, they will not make it easy or cheap.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    No one cares if you were denied in MD (or NJ). It's all BGOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom