• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I was actually weighing this in my mind a little bit, even though it would mean a major pay cut. I still miss police work and have thought about going back in. Would be tough at age 50 but if I started working for it I could get in shape for an academy, I think. Since it's been five years I would have to repeat an academy anyway in order to be sworn again in this state, so why not go with one of the best agencies in the country. I actually mentioned it to Mrs. Zoo tonight. At which point she asked me if I was f****ng crazy and had I ever heard of a program on TV called "the news."

That's one thing I love about my wife. She always helps me see things clearly.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    I was actually weighing this in my mind a little bit, even though it would mean a major pay cut. I still miss police work and have thought about going back in. Would be tough at age 50 but if I started working for it I could get in shape for an academy, I think. Since it's been five years I would have to repeat an academy anyway in order to be sworn again in this state, so why not go with one of the best agencies in the country. I actually mentioned it to Mrs. Zoo tonight. At which point she asked me if I was f****ng crazy and had I ever heard of a program on TV called "the news."

That's one thing I love about my wife. She always helps me see things clearly.

Starting that late in life wouldn't be very beneficial. MSP has a mandatory retirement age of 60

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Exactly, which is why a friend went into MDTA Police as a second career instead.

MDTA does not have a max out age for retirement I think. Lots of retired city guys go there and laugh all the way to the bank.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    MDTA does not have a max out age for retirement I think. Lots of retired city guys go there and laugh all the way to the bank.

Same thing with AA County. I have a number of friends who have gone there post-retirement and one who is even now a supervisor.

From what I am told it is head and shoulders above what the old Toll Facilities Police Department was like. That was a miserable agency if ever there was one. It's one redeeming feature was it wasn't the Port or MTA police. MacElhenny turned that all around under Ehrlich. MDTA seems to be well managed, well funded, and they make better money there sitting at the airport desk or writing tunnel tickets than they did getting stabbed in the back on a daily basis with the county.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Starting that late in life wouldn't be very beneficial. MSP has a mandatory retirement age of 60

That's okay. I could retire at 60 and be a consultant. Maybe write a book and come back and lecture everybody 59 and under on their "youth privilege." :D

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    MDTA is not a police agency. There is MTAP and MTA police. MTA is MarylandTransit Administration or light rail cops and Maryland Transportation Authority Police. The "toll facilities" cops.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    MDTA is not a police agency. There is MTAP and MTA police. MTA is MarylandTransit Administration or light rail cops and Maryland Transportation Authority Police. The "toll facilities" cops.

They refer to themselves, and so does everybody else, as the MDTA Police. I've never heard them referred to as MTAP police, unless that's something new their administration wants them called.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

Um...never heard them refereed as MTAP...it's always MDTA Police or MdTA Police.

Friend went to a recruiting session with them and someone mentioned MTA, the officers were flabbergasted and offended that someone would think they were the same thing

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Can a person with well controlled asthma get hired by MSP?

We had a guy in my academy class for the county who had well controlled asthma. Not sure what the state's policy is.

We even had a line of cadence for him while we were running.

"Ricky it's OK if you're turning blue
    At the end of the run we'll have some O2."

Back then, when people could take a joke, such things were considered funny. Don't think you could do that today. :) Definitely be a hurt feelings report.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Friend went to a recruiting session with them and someone mentioned MTA, the officers were flabbergasted and offended that someone would think they were the same thing

Yeah, they don't like that. Don't want to paint with a broad brush because I am sure MTA has some good people. But most of my interactions with them over the years I dealt with people who were, ummmm, as we would say on a performance evaluation, "less than enthusiastic."

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I've thought about a career change for a few years now, think I'm just to far into what I'm doing and couldn't take the pay cut.

TD

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Think long term..

My son joined the Cadet Program at 18 yrs old 1994. He' now a Det/Sgt with 22 yrs on and can retire this Sept. He's making about $96,000.00 a year and can earn more if he works OT.( take home vehicle, gas, vehicle mantenance and clothing allowance). Limited off-duty use if the State vehicle. I forgot to mention, a high school grad. no college.

If he stays another 5 1/2 yrs he'll be able to retire with about 73% of his last three highest yrs of salary. MSP retirement has an annual COLA increase which is compounded annually until you die. Then your spouse gets about 75% (same terms) until she dies. (unless she remarries).

Hard work and dedication pays off long term. I'm proud of him.:thumbsup:

Rob

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    For those complaining about the money, certainly police (including state police) should be paid better. But, all state and local government employees tend to be underpaid. That new State Trooper making just under $47K/yr can get that job with only a high school diploma (though probably has a year or two of college on average) plus the 6 months of training that is the academy during which they are paid $36K/yr. In comparison, a first year teacher for Anne Arundel County has to at minimum have a bachelors degree for training (which they paid for themselves) and many have a masters degree. With a bachelors that teacher is being paid about $1000 less than the State Trooper, and with a masters the new teacher is making only $1760 more than that State Trooper with a high school diploma.

Compared to a private sector job (especially a professional, degreed job) it doesn't pay well. Compared to other county and state jobs it pays pretty well, and as others have said, when you consider regular promotions, overtime, benefits, and retirement, it is a pretty decent deal. If I was in better physical shape in my 30's I probably would have gone into police work (though probably the counties instead of the state) as it isn't a bad deal.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I understand your concern for teachers (which I share with you) but you're comparing apples to oranges in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom