• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Is it me, but doesn't the salary seem to be a few dollars short? Less than $48k?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    In case anyone doesn't want to hit the link...
    MSP Trooper Candidate

Academy Class 146
    Recruitment #16-005911-0001

DEPARTMENT Maryland State Police
    DATE OPENED 3/21/2016 2:00:00 PM
    FILING DEADLINE Open/Continuous
    SALARY $35,000/year; Upon successful completion of the academy, salary will increase to $46,920/year

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Is it me, but doesn't the salary seem to be a few dollars short? Less than $48k?

That's about right for starting salary. They also get company cars relatively quickly which saves a lot in travel expenses.

Not a lot around Baltimore but if you start at just under 50k in Western MD or Eastern Shore you aren't doing all that bad.

Also have to factor in working towards 25 year pensions, getting a fair bit of time off, and still relatively good health insurance benefits.

Never going to get rich but you can certainly have a quality standing of living and a much better than average retirement.

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    If you are responsible you can most certainly raise a family on a state troopers salary. Maybe you aren't familiar with their pay steps, but 46k isn't the start and finish pay. I guess though if that salary is what's keeping you from the job you probably aren't what they're looking for.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I had went to one of there hiring classes quite a few years back and the guy running the program said yes we are the least paid department in the state with one of the largest area to cover in the state (if you look at MDTA there is no distance from a port or toll facility that's they can't patrol or pull you over) and have one of the hardest academy's nation wide. I took strong thought to jumping to that but given my bill situation then and what it has become now with wife and daughter it would have been hard making that pay cut from what I average year to year being in union construction.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If the pension is still there at retirement, and you cannot raise a family on that salary.

Most are going to be 21-25 year olds. You can't make due off of that starting salary?

I'd look at their pay scale as well....they certainly don't max out at that 46k.

Folks aren't typically asked to raise a family on 46k..they are asked to start and working 2 years before they get a raise...and work 1 more years before a raise. Then another for a raise...then maybe once you get to ten work 3 years before a raise. Toss out getting a promotion, department O/T, and part time jobs.

While certainly not over paid there are plenty of folks in Western MD and the Eastern Shore who aren't making 50k and are raising a family. A bit tougher in Baltimore but like I said...most are 21-25 year olds.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    If the LEO got paid what they should for the job the LE world would attract quality candidates constantly...........just like teachers or any other field we need but don't seem to want to pay.

Yea that's a good salary for a 22 year old just starting out, but I wonder what the turn over is after the first 4-5 years once they get more familiar with the job.

Just FYI, one of the local grocery stores in my area was advertising for a store manager a few years back, no experience needed and 67K a year. :sad20:

TD

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Toss out getting a promotion, department O/T, and part time jobs

Is that completely fair assumption as a state employee to have to have a part time job ontop of your full time job. Not to mention that is you aren't the top of your class and only number one gets to pick his or her district that everyone else is assigned to districts that need officers not matter where your located in the state and where your placed. I was told by the instructor and a few friends that are MSP that they and knew people who asked to be placed in 1/3 locations closer to home got placed across counties and fellow class mates where placed in there choices. So that is fair to work a part-time job and also be and LEO of the state. No my personal opinion is that is really messed up considering they are held to a higher standard then us civilians. And if you are a responsible officer driving your state vehicle on personal time or to work you must stop at all accidents and "be on duty" while driving and if you do stop there is a 2 hour window of free unpaid time before you start getting paid in said situations.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    $47k isn't chump change. It's the low end of police starting salaries but it isn't bad for someone starting out. I wonder if they get any kind of tuition reimbursement as that would help pay back those student loans.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Just for grins, I pulled this off the Delaware State Police page.

Competitive salary - During training $46,335. After training, $54,927.
    Excellent pension plan - (Mandatory retirement at 55, the option to retire at 20 years, further details are available upon request or should be referred to the Pension Office and/or their website)
    12-hour shifts with option of standby status for court.
    State-share health insurance.
    Division-issued equipment and uniforms, with dry cleaning delivered to the troop.
    Liberal vacation and sick leave.
    College tuition assistance.
    Take-home car with state-of-the-art information technology after 18 months.
    Deferred Compensation/Investment Plan.
    Tax-deferred medical/child care program.
    Blood Bank membership.
    Eligible membership for employee's credit union.

http://dsp.delaware.gov/dsp_recruiting_requirements.shtml

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    Keep in mind, police & fire personnel have the highest divorce rate of all occupations. Shift work, OT, hold over shifts, mandatory work on holidays --- it all takes a toll on a family.

If you think MSP salaries are low, try working for the State Fire Marshal's Office.

And, county & local police can usually buy a house within a reasonable distance, & be pretty sure that this will be able to live there & send their kids to the same schools without worrying about a transfer to somewhere a couple of hundred miles away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom