• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgatz

Sep 11, 2013
    My buddy and I use it, and it is great stuff...easy to clean up.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That is accurate. That's why I suggest people that do use it apply an external protectant, which can be safely used along with motor oil.

G96, Eezox, Barricade, and so on. Heck even WD40 is a good protectant, but it can lead to issues if you let it get into internals over time.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    It's been posted many times before, but for the uninitiated here is a great writeup on lubes:
    http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Every year it seems like someone comes out with a whiz-bang new CLP which competes with printer ink in cost per ounce. But the chemical/mechanical principles of cleaning, lubing, and rust protection have been around forever. There's nothing new besides new marketing and a formulation that can be patented as the next, perfect all-in-one.

My take is if you use one product for all three, then you aren't doing any of them adequately. And if you use one expensive product for all three you might be buying snake oil. There is a place for all-in-one--it's in my range bag--but if I have the luxury of a separate solvent for cleaning, a grease & oil for lube, and a good rust-protective as a wipedown then I'll go with the 3-4 cheapest products that meet those requirements.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    It's been posted many times before, but for the uninitiated here is a great writeup on lubes:
    http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Every year it seems like someone comes out with a whiz-bang new CLP which competes with printer ink in cost per ounce. But the chemical/mechanical principles of cleaning, lubing, and rust protection have been around forever. There's nothing new besides new marketing and a formulation that can be patented as the next, perfect all-in-one.

My take is if you use one product for all three, then you aren't doing any of them adequately. And if you use one expensive product for all three you might be buying snake oil. There is a place for all-in-one--it's in my range bag--but if I have the luxury of a separate solvent for cleaning, a grease & oil for lube, and a good rust-protective as a wipedown then I'll go with the 3-4 cheapest products that meet those requirements.

I found a place online that sells the oil and grease he recommends in a smaller quantity. I bought some to try out and so far I like it just fine.

I also mixed up a bottle of the ATF/STP concoction he mentioned in the article as well and tried it on a AR and used it in a 2 gun match. I was real happy with it. It stayed where it should, didn't burn off and ran just fine for me.

I'm going to shoot a lot more ammo through it and just oil it up to get it nice and gunked up and see how it cleans up versus the gun I am running the oil and grease combination he recommended.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I did a degrease job on all parts that had froglube on them a while back and went to fireclean, and am sure glad I did.

I still have the same bottle I bought almost a year ago, half full actually, it goes a long way.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I've tried just about every lube and CLP out there. Might as well give this a try. Any local IP's carry Fireclean?

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    This looks like it has the same issue as Frog Lube. Aside from a carb cleaner strip down you can't switch products in a pinch. Is that correct Clandestine?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    This looks like it has the same issue as Frog Lube. Aside from a carb cleaner strip down you can't switch products in a pinch. Is that correct Clandestine?

That's what I'm still testing (compatibility with other lubes). I also do not adhere to the light coat of oil mantra. Unless were talking about a grease, no lubricant for a gun should require a delicate application. The degreasing part is also something I don't like either.

I respect Mr Vickers tremendously, but not 2 weeks ago he posts a video about how too much lube won't cause a problem, now he is saying how a measured application of a lube is necessary. It screams of doublespeak IMO. I know he is an honorable man, but I strongly disagree with his discussion on lubes.

Mr Vickers used to be a Miltec proponent too, those write-ups were removed from his website though.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Mr Vickers used to be a Miltec proponent too, those write-ups were removed from his website though.

Did the hinges on his front door rust up overnight, because his wife couldn't find the WD-40? :lol2:

Seriously though. Every fanboy of Miltec eventually walks away from it, because they finally saw the light. I still get sh!t from guys that remember my escapades with Miltec. :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Did the hinges on his front door rust up overnight, because his wife couldn't find the WD-40? :lol2:

Seriously though. Every fanboy of Miltec eventually walks away from it, because they finally saw the light. I still get sh!t from guys that remember my escapades with Miltec. :D

You used Miltec? I don't remember such a thing! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom