• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Florida ‘red flag’ gun law used 3,500 times since Parkland
    https://apnews.com/6560501986455adcb0ef57fdb370035a

The law, supported by legislators of both parties , has been applied more than 3,500 times since, with the pace accelerating during the last half of 2019. Even so, an Associated Press analysis of the law showed its use is inconsistent, with some counties and cities using it rarely and others not at all.

The AP analysis shows that from March 2018, when the law was enacted, through December 2019, there was a wide disparity in its per capita usage in Florida’s 67 counties. Twenty issued at least one for every 5,500 residents during that time period, the statewide average. Three issued at least one for every 2,000 residents, including Gualtieri’s Pinellas County, which includes the Tampa Bay area, and has nearly 1 million people. Highlands County, near Lake Okeechobee, ranked No. 1, issuing one for every 850 residents.

On the other extreme, 12 counties issued one for every 30,000 residents or less. Two neighboring Panhandle counties — Escambia and Santa Rosa — issued one for every 100,000 residents or more. Another nine small, rural counties issued none.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Who knew ther were so many people in FL just about to go unhinged shoot-em ups? With that many people, I would have thought FL would have been a regular shooting gallery before the law was enacted.

/sarcasm

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    As a Florida resident this is some complete BS. That being said, it seems everyone I know down here, including females, owns guns

And then 7 million Floridians have concealed carry permits. We have some of the largest indoor gun ranges in the country here, so as bad as this sounds, gun culture is still very alive and well down here. We are fighting to get this repealed, we just got the AWB defeated, again.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    I’d like to know how many of the initial red flags have moved to further long term denial of rights.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    The red flag is supposed to be there to prevent crime but it appears the article is lumping in post arrest crimes. Generally a term of release or probation is the defendant must not be around guns. Are the police/probation using red flag to remove firearms post arrest instead of release conditions or is the article reporting wrong?

I don’t like the red flag at all but if it’s being used post arrest i hate it even more since there are already processes in place for that!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I bet the number is high because the red flag law is being used instead of/replacing regular ex parte orders. LEO I have spoken to here in MD say they see little or no difference between ex parte and red flag.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I bet the number is high because the red flag law is being used instead of/replacing regular ex parte orders. LEO I have spoken to here in MD say they see little or no difference between ex parte and red flag.
    Yeah, i think that is likely. AP, the US' premier news agency writers another one story that shows no knowledge of gun laws or issues. These county numbers seem to in the main reflect violent gun crime rates so what is likely underlying the rate differential it is post arrest seizures by police under red flag.

ie most of this maybe guns that would have already been seized

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom