• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For better or worse , is a carbine length gas system . But probably 90% plus 16in AR's in circulation do , so probably not any worse than typical 16in AR . It's 1:9 twist , as are probably +/- half of current AR's . Unless your primary ammo is 77 gr , probably a coin toss .

Advantages - If you go old school w/ irons , you have longer sight radius . You have longer front handgaurd real estate . Gives more flexibility in hand placement and/ or more room to hang stuff off of it .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The original Dissys were just cut-down 20" rifles with the gas port opened up. Really soft shooting, a bit handier, and reliable enough. Lots of the Dissy clones have carbine or mid-length gas for a longer dwell, smaller gas port, and reliability over a wider range of ammo, but have a bit harsher recoil. If you are going for an actual Colt Dissy clone, have to with rifle gas, and A2 upper. If you are not going for a dissy, and ever plan to use an optic, ditch the FSB for a plain 16" mid-length with low-pro gas block and long free float handguard.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For better or worse , is a carbine length gas system . But probably 90% plus 16in AR's in circulation do , so probably not any worse than typical 16in AR . It's 1:9 twist , as are probably +/- half of current AR's . Unless your primary ammo is 77 gr , probably a coin toss .

Advantages - If you go old school w/ irons , you have longer sight radius . You have longer front handgaurd real estate . Gives more flexibility in hand placement and/ or more room to hang stuff off of it .

Excellent analysis and I totally agree. I like iron sights.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Just to clarify, I'm considering this for looks - I like the style, and I don't plan to put an optic on it. The bayonet is kind of appealing though so may just go for an actual rifle instead of this.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    The Windham Dissipator

UR16M4DA4B.jpg

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/ur16m4da4b/

What is up with the area around the pins at the FSB? The block looks almost corroded around them...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've had these in the corner of my eye since they were the Original Bushmaster ( albeit never quite enough to pull the trigger on one ) .

I'm an iron sights guy , and I like the idea of full length sight radius on a 16in .

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Just saw PSA dissipator m4 profile no bcg or charging handle. $249.00. I'd grab one if I had the loot.

Here's my take on the dissipator...

Attachments

• 20201023_000955.jpg
      20201023_000955.jpg
      80.5 KB · Views: 176

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    There's a carbine length gas system under the hand guard. I'm into it for the combination of style and "handier" length, but could be convinced to buy a 20" A1 or A2.

That's good, I have a Delton Dissipater that was a kit with lower kit and stock with rifle length gas. I came with a lighter spring which you need or it may not fully cycle. Found out it was lighter when one day I put it on a different lower.
    I like the longer sight radius and shooting it with irons is flat out fun off hand at steel.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Just to clarify, I'm considering this for looks - I like the style, and I don't plan to put an optic on it. The bayonet is kind of appealing though so may just go for an actual rifle instead of this.

A friend of mine had one of their uppers. It was nice shooting once he got the sights figured out.

Something about their front sight being not "F" marked and he used a non-Windham carry handle/rear sight assembely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom