Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    cheap Wolf ammo is a must for me to own a firearm now

so this could be interesting

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    awesome. Thanks for the heads up. I wish they'd also have a loading down in the 110-125 gr range to be more consistent with a zero for lots of the defensive loads, but cheap practice stuff is always a good thing.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nice. Makes we really want to consider a 300BO now. Brass prices have dropped a lot on it and with steel in the mix, makes it a lot more attractive.

Especially since my next supressor I am thinking of a .30 cal can.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Nice. Makes we really want to consider a 300BO now. Brass prices have dropped a lot on it and with steel in the mix, makes it a lot more attractive.

Especially since my next supressor I am thinking of a .30 cal can.

Apparently it's gonna hit the market at like $0.27/round. Idk if that's cheap enough for me...but it's close to .223 brass so it's getting there.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Cheap FMJ subsonic is awesome, currently most is either made with really really expensive match bullets or plated/cast

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Apparently it's gonna hit the market at like $0.27/round. Idk if that's cheap enough for me...but it's close to .223 brass so it's getting there.

If this is the price for subsonic rounds I will be surprised. The big question will be how reliably the subsonic stuff will cycle an unsupressed AR.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    This is apparently 145gr super, which is an odd choice, but the guy claimed 200gr subs will be released in 2020.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This is apparently 145gr super, which is an odd choice, but the guy claimed 200gr subs will be released in 2020.

That would be cool. On an AR platform I am not especially concerned about bimetal jackets as barrel changes are easy and quality barrels aren’t stupid expensive.

But a subsonic bimetal jacket is even less of a concern. The rifling wear is so much less from the reduced velocities.

I guess the only real issue is I bet they’ll dirty up suppressors that much more as they tend to also use dirty propellants for Wolf. I guess just gotta make sure to run a mag or two of supers through on a regular basis to blow it out.

Getting me real interested in 300BO.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Coincidentally enough, I built out a 300 AAC upper a few weeks ago using a CMMG blem barrel and some random parts I had lying around.

145gr supers is a pretty good start, and 27cpr makes them affordable enough for use in classes/training. Wouldn't mind some non-bimetal-jacket simply because it's more convenient for some ranges, though. Definitely looking forward to buying a case of this stuff and seeing how it performs. Steel-cased ammo for 6.5 Grendel was a total game change for that caliber, and it could be for 300 AAC. too.

Agree that once you get good with barrel changes on an AR platform, the whole world opens up a little. It's even faster if you're running an Aero Enhanced Upper, since timing the barrel/handguard nut no longer becomes such a time waster... just gotta pull the muzzle device, gas, and barrel nut off, pull the old barrel out, put the new one in, barrel nut on, (hopefully) check headspace, and then put the gas and muzzle device back in. Easy-peasy with the right tools.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I look at 27 cpr differently. 27 cpr for steel case now means that its will soon be .20-22 cpr, and brass will be 27 cpr. In other words, they think that there is a mass market - other suppliers will be soon behind them. I have been holding off a 300blk until I saw whether it would last and ammo prices would come down. Seems like 2020 is the year to get into 300blk.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    This is not what happened with 6.5 Grendel.

The difference between 6.5 Grendel and 300 blackout is that 300 blackout is based on 556 cartridge, so 300 blackout is much more easily mass produced with little retooling. Ultimately, 300 blackout should only be marginally more expensive (cost wise) than 223.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Coincidentally enough, I built out a 300 AAC upper a few weeks ago using a CMMG blem barrel and some random parts I had lying around.

145gr supers is a pretty good start, and 27cpr makes them affordable enough for use in classes/training. Wouldn't mind some non-bimetal-jacket simply because it's more convenient for some ranges, though. Definitely looking forward to buying a case of this stuff and seeing how it performs. Steel-cased ammo for 6.5 Grendel was a total game change for that caliber, and it could be for 300 AAC. too.

Agree that once you get good with barrel changes on an AR platform, the whole world opens up a little. It's even faster if you're running an Aero Enhanced Upper, since timing the barrel/handguard nut no longer becomes such a time waster... just gotta pull the muzzle device, gas, and barrel nut off, pull the old barrel out, put the new one in, barrel nut on, (hopefully) check headspace, and then put the gas and muzzle device back in. Easy-peasy with the right tools.

Issue I have with wolf 6.5 is out of my 18” hunting rifle that is sub MOA it shoots 6-8MOA. Unless plinking at 25yds, not worth shooting it period. Out of my 24” upper it will shoot about 3MOA which is fine. But the 24” is a very recent build for me.

I’ll get more, but wish it would shoot acceptable out of both. I’ve tried rounds from 3 Different lots and all perform as horribly out of my 18”.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Wolf 6.5G does not shoot well out of random rifles. You need specific barrels. AA is one. Ruger is acceptable, at least thus far for me. There's no guarantee this steel-cased .300AAC is going to be a barn burner out of every barrel, either.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    My understanding with the wolf 6.5g ammo is that you can't run .264lbc or anything from the other manufacturers who don't use the actual 6.5grendel spec. Needs to be Alexander Arms or a few others that can be googled. Good information to know going in, though annoying in the limitation of choice in available barrels and custom manufacturers is irritating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom