Who, if anyone, is The New "Colt" for AR's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Fellas, I recertified my Colt armorers cert in August. They instructor was a senior Colt rep....he assured us that Colt isn't out of the civilian sale business, they simply are catching up on their government contracts for a few months....why are we believing a left leaning article spewing such nonsense? .....cause it's fun to panic buy, that's why.. ;)

The original source of Colt suspending civilian rifle sales for a while was not a press release...Colt only sent notices to distributors and they leaked it. I think it was leaked likely to create a demand as they wanted to sell inventory that has been sitting due to slow sales. The Colt press release was after the fact...probably an effort to blunt criticism when it was simply a business decision to catch up with existing contracts. The press release was a bit too lawyerly and didn't help...they should have simply said it in plain language.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Personally, I'm waiting for GM's Turbo Hydromatic Division to jump back into the market. They made a helluva good M16A1 for the DOD in addition to really great transmissions back in the day.

J/K.....I shoot an Original Bushmaster Heat Dissipator so I go with a Windham.

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Personally, I'm waiting for GM's Turbo Hydromatic Division to jump back into the market. They made a helluva good M16A1 for the DOD in addition to really great transmissions back in the day.

I can tell you that the action on the one below is smoooooth. Probably slicker than any Colt I have shot. The lower is a repro but everything else is as it left the factory having come from the same almost new condition rifle; ex-police of all things. They were keeping the lower and "upgrading" it into a "more modern" carbine. I remember when you could buy these kits CHEAP. It's sad that we can't build stuff like this in this state anymore:
    P1180217_zpsczjbrql2.jpg

P1180218Modified_zps1qgr7pht.png

P1180219Modified_zpsodgzhbx5.png

P1180238_zpsn2j7wphm.jpg

P1180236_zpsdss28qpu.jpg

P1180235_zpstyzugefy.jpg

P1180234_zpsi72kgil7.jpg

P1180232_zpsxtuqzmic.jpg

P1180231_zpsemw3vcgp.jpg

P1180230_zpsvlwhtl23.jpg

P1180229_zpsjsctjoq3.jpg

P1180227_zpssdqdp3c9.jpg

P1180226_zpsddhwzqgv.jpg

P1180225_zpsg5tp6bux.jpg

P1180224_zpsbjee38qz.jpg

Jun 4, 2015
    I'm no snob, but S&W, Windham, several others mentioned, are...second tier at best. They're cheaper because they use cheaper materials. "Fit and finish" is fine, but durability matters, too. ESPECIALLY the buffer tube on the carbine. There's a 70% difference in strength between the actual milspec material AND PROCESS (impact extruded), and the ones that are merely milled to the right dimensions.

It is possible to do better than milspec. Stoner and a couple of others exceed the standards by a margin.

As far as stock ARs, here's a compiled chart of materials and processes from M4C:

m4-chart-comparison%5B1%5D.jpg

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I can tell you that the action on the one below is smoooooth. Probably slicker than any Colt I have shot. The lower is a repro but everything else is as it left the factory having come from the same almost new condition rifle; ex-police of all things. They were keeping the lower and "upgrading" it into a "more modern" carbine. I remember when you could buy these kits CHEAP. It's sad that we can't build stuff like this in this state anymore:

Oh, man that looks great!

And with the fun switch? Totes jelly.

:party29:

Sirex