• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RolfeJr

Oct 23, 2018
    In the mail this AM.
    Will report back.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Wait for the general assembly to come back and eliminate concealed carry for business owners entirely.

Ridiculous that if you OWN a business you are "allowed" to protect yourself 24/7, but if you simply WORK at a business you can't protect yourself at all. Good old Maryland - don't try to make any sense of it, it is impossible

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Anyone else have an issue with the $10.00? I mean you would think at this point they would just automatically mail an unrestricted permit rather then us having to request it and pay even more $$$$

-D

What’s anyone’s guess of the most amount of money someone paid an attorney to help get their restriction lifted?

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    Wait for the general assembly to come back and eliminate concealed carry for business owners entirely.

Ridiculous that if you OWN a business you are "allowed" to protect yourself 24/7, but if you simply WORK at a business you can't protect yourself at all. Good old Maryland - don't try to make any sense of it, it is impossible

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk

I think their logic is to prevent armed guards from having a 24/7 carry permit. That’s the first thought that I had when I read the new policy.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Just checked with MSP. New permits for those in the appeals channel are being printed and should be mailed out by the end of the week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    Heard this on the late night local news, I don't know what channel it was. Monologue went along the lines of 'while the rest of the country is demanding tighter gun control due to recent events, Maryland is doing the opposite'

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    how to become a "business owner?"

So I need to ask... how does one become a business owner in the eyes of MSP? I suppose one cant just "open" a business and apply the next day for the permit right? I personally think its absurd that business owners get to protect themselves and their "assets" but my family isn't considered valuable enough to protect. So basically I am looking to "create" a business and get a permit to protect my assets. Any advice for a dummy like me?

Thanks all.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    So I need to ask... how does one become a business owner in the eyes of MSP? I suppose one cant just "open" a business and apply the next day for the permit right? I personally think its absurd that business owners get to protect themselves and their "assets" but my family isn't considered valuable enough to protect. So basically I am looking to "create" a business and get a permit to protect my assets. Any advice for a dummy like me?

Thanks all.

On that same (similar) note...

I would ASSume this would mean that there's going to be an uptick of denials, business owner or not.

Just because you are a "business owner", don't they routinely DENY permits for those "special people" regularly?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So I need to ask... how does one become a business owner in the eyes of MSP?

You don't become a business in the eyes of the MSP, you become a business in the eyes of the Maryland government generally. Trade name if you're a sole proprietor, or form an LLC or incorporate. You can get this stuff done more or less instantly through someplace like Legal Zoom if you don't want to navigate those waters yourself. Then you have to actually DO some business. Show revenue, have a business checking account. Also very easy. But you can't open that account and start making deposits until the business entity or trade name exists. You COULD just do business as yourself, but then it's a lot harder to show what's going on.

It will also help if you can produce tax filings that show the money the business is making actually materializing as stated income to the feds and the state. But if you apply in the same year you form the business, there won't yet be a tax filing to produce. That makes it all the more important to be able to show financial activity in that business checking account.

I suppose one cant just "open" a business and apply the next day for the permit right?

See above. There is going to be some lag time between getting a business - no matter how small - up and running and (for REAL) generating some cash flow. Doesn't meant it has to be initially profitable, but it can't be pure theater.

I personally think its absurd that business owners get to protect themselves and their "assets"

The permit does NOT NOT NOT allow you to protect your business assets. The only reason they are willing to give business owners permits (by Maryland's absurd standards) is that there is the presumption your LIFE is more at risk because of some of the things that come with running a business.

So basically I am looking to "create" a business and get a permit to protect my assets. Any advice for a dummy like me?

Main advice: don't fake it. As much as the state's posture on all of this is in bad faith politically and constitutionally, YOU have to act in good faith and legitimately conduct actual business. Nothing wrong with starting a business for this one ultimate purpose, but it has to be an actual business. There are lots of ways to convert passionate hobbies into a small-scale business. Hell, you could just set aside a few hours a week to mow lawns at aggressive prices. But it's gotta be real.

We've already got someone selling ammo out of the back of his truck, so that gig's already taken :-)

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County

Thanks all.
    As a member since 2010, I would think that you have read threads on creating a business. Further, I would think that by now, you would also know that posting about creating a phantom business to deceive the MSP is not a wise move.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Just because you are a "business owner", don't they routinely DENY permits for those "special people" regularly?

Of late, that's usually because the applicant is clearly doing something in bad faith, or has failed to produce real paperwork, or the business isn't in good standing with the state gubmint, or in some other way isn't following the rules. Keep your nose clean with the state comptroller's office, keep that business checking account and your taxes more or less in order and alive, don't lie, don't get lazy and forget to provide your documents during the application, and any real business owners should be good to go.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    You don't become a business in the eyes of the MSP, you become a business in the eyes of the Maryland government generally. Trade name if you're a sole proprietor, or form an LLC or incorporate. You can get this stuff done more or less instantly through someplace like Legal Zoom if you don't want to navigate those waters yourself. Then you have to actually DO some business. Show revenue, have a business checking account. Also very easy. But you can't open that account and start making deposits until the business entity or trade name exists. You COULD just do business as yourself, but then it's a lot harder to show what's going on.

It will also help if you can produce tax filings that show the money the business is making actually materializing as stated income to the feds and the state. But if you apply in the same year you form the business, there won't yet be a tax filing to produce. That makes it all the more important to be able to show financial activity in that business checking account.

See above. There is going to be some lag time between getting a business - no matter how small - up and running and (for REAL) generating some cash flow. Doesn't meant it has to be initially profitable, but it can't be pure theater.

The permit does NOT NOT NOT allow you to protect your business assets. The only reason they are willing to give business owners permits (by Maryland's absurd standards) is that there is the presumption your LIFE is more at risk because of some of the things that come with running a business.

Main advice: don't fake it. As much as the state's posture on all of this is in bad faith politically and constitutionally, YOU have to act in good faith and legitimately conduct actual business. Nothing wrong with starting a business for this one ultimate purpose, but it has to be an actual business. There are lots of ways to convert passionate hobbies into a small-scale business. Hell, you could just set aside a few hours a week to mow lawns at aggressive prices. But it's gotta be real.

We've already got someone selling ammo out of the back of his truck, so that gig's already taken :-)

Thank you for the advice. Very thorough. I appreciate it. Guess I need to do some thinking to see if that is the way I want to go and make a long term plan. Until then, I just pray we start winning in the courts and get our right to carry back.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    As a member since 2010, I would think that you have read threads on creating a business. Further, I would think that by now, you would also know that posting about creating a phantom business to deceive the MSP is not a wise move.

That's not what I was doing but thank you for the education. God bless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom