Buying a non regulated long gun in a contiguous state?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/n...s-licensees-newsletter-february-2011/download

Page 3:

Contiguous State

The “contiguous state” provisions of the Gun Control Act (GCA) generally permit unlicensed purchasers to acquire long guns from Federal firearms licensees (FFLs) located in a State contiguous to the State in which the purchaser resides if:

(1) the purchaser’s State of residence permitted such sale; and
    (2) the sale fully complied with the legal conditions of sale in both such contiguous states.

This provision of the GCA was amended in 1986 to allow FFLs to sell or dispose of long guns to residents of any other state (not just contiguous states) provided:

1. the transferee meets in person with the FFL to accomplish the transfer; and

2. the sale, delivery and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in the buyer’s and seller’s States.

A number of States patterned their laws after the original provision of the GCA that allows nonresidents to purchase long guns from FFLs only in contiguous states. Many of those States have not revised their laws to reflect the 1986 amendments to the GCA that allow over-the-counter sales of long guns to residents of any State, as outlined above. This has caused confusion among FFLs, who often read such “contiguous state” State laws as prohibiting sales to residents of noncontiguous states.

ATF does not read State laws that refer to “contiguous states” as prohibiting sales of long guns to residents of noncontiguous states unless the language contained in that State’s law expressly prohibits residents from acquiring firearms outside that State. Thus, if the language in the State laws authorizes sales of long guns to residents of contiguous states, that State law also authorizes the sale of long guns to residents of all other states.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Eve...is that, you guys?

It's a harmless question(to me). It's what brings people here.

I am not saying your wrong, but the ATF has the MD annotated code. It mentions that "– If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in the
    adjacent state."

I assume this is old?

Is that true? I saw a thread a while back that said you have to be in adjacent states only to purchase a long gun. But what confused me was that there was no law that said you can't buy a long gun out a contiguous state. sorry I'm soo confused.

To clarify In section 5-204 of MD code It says you can buy a long gun in a adjacent state but if buying a long gun in a contiguous state is legal why would they only say you can buy in an adjacent state? is it no longer law?

What kind of reply to his question is this? Not only that, but you make it sound like he has multiple personality disorder. "Tell us about yourselves."

Is there really a requirement that people post an intro about themselves? I never did that. This being the internet, mine would go something like this:

I am a 27 year old woman. I am a doctor, specifically a neuro-surgeon, making $650,000 a year. I live in Ellicott City and work at the University of Maryland hospital in Baltimore in the ICU. I've got a slew of NFA items, including a couple machine guns, several SBR and SBS, and suppressors for every caliber they make. I also happen to own a couple of sporting shotguns and rifles, and a slew of handguns. Big handguns for home defense and tiny ones for CCW. My daily driver is a Mustang GT350 or a F150 Raptor, and on the weekends I like stretching the Mustangs legs at the track or taking the F150 for a stroll through the woods or to the range. For elegant evenings out on the weekend, I take the Ferrari. Oh yeah, I am 5' 9", bright blue eyes, dark ebony waist length hair, 36-25-36, and I love stilettos.

Looking for some companionship at the range.

You know what.....
    I will let you fill in the rest sense you seem to know about everyones intent on the internet!

§5–204.

(a) In this section, “adjacent state” means Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia.

(b) If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in the adjacent state.

(c) If a resident of an adjacent state is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of this State, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in this State.

Nothing in that statute says that a person cannot purchase a rifle from Missouri. If you read through 5-201 through 5-206, there does not appear to be anything whatsoever on Maryland's books that prevents one of its citizens from buying a rifle in another state if the rifle is legal in Maryland.

OP, is there something more that worries you, because 5-204 would not worry me. If I saw a great deal on a Benelli while hunting ducks in Arkansas, I would not hesitate to buy it. Maybe just ask in the Outdoor Sports forum on here if any Maryland residents have bought a long gun from states that are not adjacent to Maryland.

See above!

The American

Sep 25, 2018
    Maryland
    Great 1st post.
    Go to the introduction section and tell us about yourselves.
    Sept 2018

Why do you want to know who I am? I'm just an 18 year old that wants to make sure if buying a long gun out of state legal since my cousin has an outdoor range and wanted to have some fun. Sorry If I offended you in anyway

The American

Sep 25, 2018
    Maryland
    §5–204.

(a) In this section, “adjacent state” means Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia.

(b) If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in the adjacent state.

(c) If a resident of an adjacent state is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of this State, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in this State.

Nothing in that statute says that a person cannot purchase a rifle from Missouri. If you read through 5-201 through 5-206, there does not appear to be anything whatsoever on Maryland's books that prevents one of its citizens from buying a rifle in another state if the rifle is legal in Maryland.

OP, is there something more that worries you, because 5-204 would not worry me. If I saw a great deal on a Benelli while hunting ducks in Arkansas, I would not hesitate to buy it. Maybe just ask in the Outdoor Sports forum on here if any Maryland residents have bought a long gun from states that are not adjacent to Maryland.

Thanks a lot! I just wanted to make sure if buying a long gun out of state is legal since I have opportunities to use my family members range while in Missouri. I'm also 18 and don't know much about gun laws lol. thanks again.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Why do you want to know who I am? I'm just an 18 year old that wants to make sure if buying a long gun out of state legal since my cousin has an outdoor range and wanted to have some fun. Sorry If I offended you in anyway

No offense taken or given!

However, introducing oneself in a forum helps others to learn about you.

We don't care about your personal business.
    If you read the forums suggestions it would help.

Unlike fabs who knows everyones intent, it always seems as if when people ask these types of questions and then responds to the answers qiven like you did..

We have too many folks asking questions to gain I site into how to screw us next legislation session...

Unlike fabs who doesn't care, most on here do care about are rights being slowly taken away.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Keep in mind that the law is often written to say what you can't do. When discussing out-of-state purchases, if it doesn't say that you "can only buy from adjacent" states or doesn't say "can't buy from non adjacent states", then you can buy from contiguous states (as per federal law) and MD is not saying that you can't. As mentioned upthread, probably the greatest limiting factor will be the gun store that you purchase from (and you must, for out of state long gun purchases), as some have restrictive policies for out of state residents. Give them a call when there, say you're visiting from out of state, and ask them if they sell to non Missouri residents. Not being a restrictive state (like nearby Illinois), you shouldn't run into a problem.

Obviously, make sure whatever you're purchasing is MD legal. You can get some guidance here for semi-automatic rifles that are banned (as well as reviewed examples for ones that they say are not) ...

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

Although folks will point out that some of the entries that are listed as banned are debatable. As long as they're not short barreled, you should be fine with any bolt action, pump school, or lever action long gun (as far as I can remember).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Unlike fabs who knows everyones intent, it always seems as if when people ask these types of questions and then responds to the answers qiven like you did..

We have too many folks asking questions to gain I site into how to screw us next legislation session...

Unlike fabs who doesn't care, most on here do care about are rights being slowly taken away.

No, I realize that if somebody has half a brain and they really have some ulterior motive, then post an introduction that will be just fine by you, me, and almost everybody else on here.

So, you ask for an introduction. MSP on the other ends gives you what you want. The 48 year old sergeant on the other ends writes that he just turned 18, is driving his beater that his parents gave him to Missouri to shoot with a cousin, wants to buy a 10/22 while out there versus buying one here in Maryland before leaving, and how would you or I be any bit the wiser?

This is the internet. Anybody can be anybody else they want, until you really start getting to know the person ftf, and even then an undercover would probably fool you as to who they are.

I just find it hilarious that you think somebody posting an intro on here would 1) be entirely truthful about it and 2) that it would allow you to actually figure out what their intent is in asking the question.

Heck, I am still trying to figure out who you are and what your intent is in asking for an intro.

OP - I'll take you at your word about being 18 and heading out to Missouri to do some shooting. Really long drive though for some shooting.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

It would be nice if we could move away from the adhomenim attacks on fellow members.

Oops. There I go again...:rolleyes:

The American

Sep 25, 2018
    Maryland
    No, I realize that if somebody has half a brain and they really have some ulterior motive, then post an introduction that will be just fine by you, me, and almost everybody else on here.

So, you ask for an introduction. MSP on the other ends gives you what you want. The 48 year old sergeant on the other ends writes that he just turned 18, is driving his beater that his parents gave him to Missouri to shoot with a cousin, wants to buy a 10/22 while out there versus buying one here in Maryland before leaving, and how would you or I be any bit the wiser?

This is the internet. Anybody can be anybody else they want, until you really start getting to know the person ftf, and even then an undercover would probably fool you as to who they are.

I just find it hilarious that you think somebody posting an intro on here would 1) be entirely truthful about it and 2) that it would allow you to actually figure out what their intent is in asking the question.

Heck, I am still trying to figure out who you are and what your intent is in asking for an intro.

OP - I'll take you at your word about being 18 and heading out to Missouri to do some shooting. Really long drive though for some shooting.QUQUOTE
    I'm going to Missouri to see family and mainly to do fishing. This time of year White Bass are in spawns
    And my dad wanted the opportunity to take me where he grew up. I just wanted to ask a question to see if buying a rifle out of state was legal. I already own an AR but I thought it made more sense while I'm on vacation to buy a 10\22 to also enjoy some shooting. I really shouldn't have to explain myself.

The American

Sep 25, 2018
    Maryland

Sorry if my question came off suspicious to you. I wanted to make sure if it was legal to buy my graduation present while in Missouri during My fishing trip and seeing family. But because I didn't introduce myself to strangers on the internet and responded to answers "suspiciously" you assume I'm a fab? First of all I'm not trying to break the law. So that's why I asked this question when I wasn't sure of the answers. I find it ridiculous that I get questioned for asking a question.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Sorry if my question came off suspicious to you. I wanted to make sure if it was legal to buy my graduation present while in Missouri during My fishing trip and seeing family. But because I didn't introduce myself to strangers on the internet and responded to answers "suspiciously" you assume I'm a fab? First of all I'm not trying to break the law. So that's why I asked this question when I wasn't sure of the answers. I find it ridiculous that I get questioned for asking a question.

Lol, don't want to guess what you think a "fab" is. FWIW, he's not referring to you. It's a gun board, so don't take offense as most everyone who's posted, HRDWRK, fabsroman (Fabs), etc is trying to help you. Sometimes, folks will ask questions of new posters (a certain, largely benign Chick-fil-A fan on this forum is famous for this and threatening a shine box otherwise) but it's simply a protective response. There are people that come here seeking ways to break the law or seeing if others will aid and abet in this process.

Hope you find a great 10/22 rifle on your trip and post up some pics after you get it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    .... Sometimes, folks will ask questions of new posters (a certain, largely benign Chick-fil-A fan on this forum is famous for this and threatening a shine box otherwise)....
    Ouch, I think. :)

'Largely benign' = partly malignant. :party29:

Mr. American, the only problem you may have buying a rifle in Missouri, is an ignorant FFL who won't sell to you.

Good luck, welcome aboard, and no shinebox on order. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom