Who, if anyone, is The New "Colt" for AR's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    They should put a warning label on that. Buyers are expecting to get a finished rifle.

Then the OCD afflicted will have nothing to obsess over :innocent0

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The one Windham I saw in person had an un-staked castle nut. Not "poor staking" but none at all. Yes, I realize it's a sample of one. Still, that observation does not inspire confidence.

Castle nut? Meh! At first I read that as gas key; in which case I would say that be very bad.

pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    Not only is this chart old and not kept updated, it's been widely discredited as causing more problems than it solved. MPI never catches anything. HPT is murder on bolt lifespan. Recoil once did an interview with Reed Knight (who owns KAC), and he said that it HALVES the life on SR-25 bolts.

It's 2019, the chart is not a thing anymore.

FN is the new Colt. They have the M4 contract. It's pretty much that simple. Are there other companies that do as good a job, if not better? Absolutely. But if you want so-called mil-spec, FN is where to go if you don't want a Colt.

SR-25s are 7.62x54...so yeah, you are subjecting it to way more pressures than HPT on a 5.56...Plus, all mil-spec BCGs are MP/HPT tested and its lasted for this long.

And yes, you are correct that FN has the mil contract. However, just like Colt, you don't think FN will/already has marked up their products because of that? Chris Bartucci (sorry for the spelling) on Small Arms Solutions went in-depth on the downfall of Colt after they got the mil contract-single focus on mil-spec model, lack of urgency to innovate or improve, neglect of civilian sales (to Colt today). Hope it doesn't affect FN the same. Mil contracts are just a contract and usually for the lowest cost, doesn't mean it's the best overall product. I mean, by that logic we should all get DD Mk18s because SOCOM/DEVGRU use them to kill Bin Laden so it must be the best right?

FN makes high tier products for sure but we are also discussing the realm of civilian availability. This chart is dated, but it outlines comparisons between manufacturers that are more civilian available in my opinion. It's awesome that we have so many options nowadays. At the top tier with similar track records and QC it really comes down to personal preference.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    SR-25s are 7.62x54...so yeah, you are subjecting it to way more pressures than HPT on a 5.56...Plus, all mil-spec BCGs are MP/HPT tested and its lasted for this long.
    1. It's 7.62x51, if we're going to be pedantic.
    2. The relative amount of overpressure is the same.
    3. "Lasted this long" must be a joke. 5.56 bolts are infamous for having lug failures across from the extractor. They absolutely do get replaced in the military. HPT isn't helping their lifetimes. The military simply doesn't give a shit, because they have massive .mil budgets. I don't.

FN makes high tier products for sure but we are also discussing the realm of civilian availability. This chart is dated, but it outlines comparisons between manufacturers that are more civilian available in my opinion. It's awesome that we have so many options nowadays. At the top tier with similar track records and QC it really comes down to personal preference.
    The comparisons are all out of date. It is simply not fair to use a chart that's like a decade old with sometimes questionable-criteria to compare companies in 2019. Just for reference, PSA and BCA would score EXTREMELY WELL on that chart with some of their uppers. It does not make them good choices.

Jofus007

Apr 28, 2019
    In my humble opinion....

Colt has always been an iconic name....that being said... it’s fairly easy and less expensive to build your own AR. Palmetto State Armory has some quality components. I’ve put over 10k rounds through my 5.56 & 300 BO with zero malfunctions and they’re both in extremely good condition. I don’t need a fancy brand name on my rifle.... I just need it to function as intended.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    When I went through submachine gun instructor school back in the early '90s the instructor talked about the Uzi smg. He said FN was building a very nice licensed version of it. He also said if you wanted a nicely finished Uzi get the FN. He further said if you wanted a smg to stake you life on...get the Israeli made Uzi because their lives did depend on it functioning even if it wasn't pretty. The same might arguably be said for the AR-platform rifles and carbines...many make them but when your life depends on it get a Colt or FN as they are made for dire circumstances and keep running.

Just a thought on the subject.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Our department issues Colts and LWRC. That gives me a strong belief in the LWRC platform to meet or exceed standards. I'm not sure if they are big nationwide, or simply a local gun though.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I haven't done recent GunBroker research, but heard from a friend that looked, that the Colt M4 SOCOM may have doubled in price (based on what's actually selling - vs what's been asked). Wondering if the 6920 HBPW rifles, that use the same barrel, have bumped up a bit too.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This is the only Windham complete AR-15 rifle that's MD compliant, right?

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/firearms/rifles/223-556-caliber-rifle/hbc-md/

Does anyone know if it's a 5.56 or a .223 barrel?

They also have a dissipator model that is MD compliant
    https://www.windhamweaponry.com/firearms/rifles/223-556-caliber-rifle/dissipator-hvy-bbl/

And an M4 style rifle that is HBAR (I saw one at United Gun Shop in Rockville):
    https://www.windhamweaponry.com/firearms/rifles/223-556-caliber-rifle/hbc/

All of these are 5.56 NATO

Not sure if they will substitute a 10 round mag, they might.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom