• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    What camo clothes are everyone using? I'm interested to hear what pattern, brand, and so on works for you.

I mainly wear Midway brand stuff in realtree or mossy oak. Also, about 6 layers, cause I get pretty cold in the stand.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    I use woodland BDUs for warmer weather, $10 per set... White coveralls over everything warm when it snows. Used against coyotes, deer, crows, and turkeys successfully. I have a few t shirts that are different variations of real tree as well but those are just to show off my mad hunting skills.

Also planning to get a set of multicam to be gucci in lighter, brighter environments/boog...

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I’ll probably get blasted, for my comments, but here it goes.

Depends on what you’re hunting.
    I believe if hunting from a tree stand for deer, camo isn’t Necessary.

Now turkeys, waterfowl, crows, and Predators, yes You will want a good camo, that blends into your background.

I hunt geese in a “coffin blind”. Since my blind covers everything but the top of my head, in warm weather I only wear a camo hat. In cold weather, I wear camo, not because I need it, but because it’s usually the warmest clothing I own.

Same thing, if hunting from a blind for deer, or turkey, since the blind is camo, you really don’t need to wear it. I do however, at least wear camo on my upper torso. If hunting from a blind, by law you are to have orange that can be seen from all sides, of the blind, or within a certain amount of feet from it.

Also remember, if deer hunting in muzzleloader season, or rifle season, you have to wear orange, so camo is a moot point, IMHO. Same thing if bow hunting during these seasons, you have to wear orange, as well.

Small game, once again, orange is required for most of them as well.

For deer, I’ve worn everything from complete blaze orange from head to toe, completely covered in camo, traditional red and black checks, blue jeans, and everything in between. Even dirty sinking coveralls, I wore all day on the construction site. I’ve killed, wearing all/any of it.

Please let us know, what you intend to hunt, we can help you more.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Age old debate. People wear what they find works for them in their given way of hunting - open on the ground, in a blind, low tree stand, high tree stand, hard woods, pines, brush, marsh, ridges, bottoms, reliable winds, unpredictable winds, etc.. Scent control and the wind are the biggest deal breakers but assuming you have done your best with scent control or are completely hunting the wind then this is my stuff.

I do not like mossy oak for the same reason as above, too dark and has no break up for my situations. I'm not on the ground in the southern swampy thick woods. I have been busted too many times with Realtree AP and sniper when in a low tree stand.
    My absolute #1 go to is Ultimate Camo. I have the early and late season stuff. Works great for every critter. I've had deer look at me, hear something, or catch some wind and they may get nervous but they don't bolt and usually calm down if not an egregious offense. I'm a cold puss so the late season with an added polar union suit base and a thin mid layer pant and shirt/jacket usually gets me ok into the 25-30 deg range if light or no winds.
    My #2 is my Sikta bibs and light jacket. I got them and a vest for a real steal. Comfortable and with a light base layer and light jacket in between will get me into the mid 30s without too much of a problem unless real cold winds. High tree stands or in open no back drop conditions mostly.
    My former #1 or #2 was my skyline apparition coveralls (I out grew it). Same as my ultimate camo, rarely had a deer bolt if it looked at me.
    boots are rubber styles. 3 mm neoprene cabelas for early and mid season, 1200 gm cabelas for late season.
    nat-gear snow over layer for snow
    full breathable stretch face/head mask in realtree hd or ap, gloves unless real warm

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Also remember, if deer hunting in muzzleloader season, or rifle season, you have to wear orange, so camo is a moot point, IMHO. Same thing if bow hunting during these seasons, you have to wear orange, as well.

Curious as to what you mean, that orange would make camo a moot point.

From what I've read, deer see reds and yellows very poorly, but blues much better than we do. Orange doesn't pop out to them like it does to us.. it just looks like another shade of brown.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    I've pretty much switched all my camo over to Sitka. It's expensive but imo it is very well built, and keeps me warm, dry, and cuts the wind.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I have a Sitka Forest camo in a lightweight. I have some predator camo with just a shirt and trou. I have a a Weatherbystandard camo wool outfit for cold. For damn cold, I have a charcoal gray Filson bib and double mackinaw that I will throw a white camo cotton cover on if appropriate.

Mostly, I hunt in Filson hunting overalls that are tin cloth and cover cloth. Then I add a jacket appropriate to the WX.

I agree with previous posts. You can hunt in your fn u trou...white boxers...and be successful. If you’re a good hunter, luck will favor you, even if it’s while wearing a pink tutu and smoking a big old stogie.

Rain does drive some different decisions. The other thing that used to cause me heartburn was sitting on a stand then pushing deer/stalking in Rough country. Layers are your friend.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    .45 ACP

...and face paint...

Attachments

• it.jpg
      it.jpg
      20.2 KB · Views: 393

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Curious as to what you mean, that orange would make camo a moot point.

From what I've read, deer see reds and yellows very poorly, but blues much better than we do. Orange doesn't pop out to them like it does to us.. it just looks like another shade of brown.

Well, let me explain. You are correct, in that fact that it’s not a moot point, for most. All you really need is a blaze orange ball cap to be legal.
    I on the other hand, always wear at least a full orange hunting vest, to be more visible to others, except when bow hunting. So for me, Since my entire torso, front and back, are covered in orange, the camo is kinda worthless.

Personal choice of mine, but I want to be visible.

Ive also heard deer can see the colors you listed. My grandfather always wore blue and white striped coveralls, (think train engineers) with either a orange coat, or the black and red “buffalo check” jacket. He never, had any issues not getting deer.

I hunted everything as a kid while wearing blue jeans, pretty much all the time. No issues, even bow hunting, from a stand.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Seriously, camo plays very little in hunting. Movement does. If there was only one color I could have in the woods, it would be OD green. Solid.

Picture wearing a real nice camo(of any brand) and an Orange vest. That orange vest is almost a white vest to a deer's vision, in that it is a light solid color. Now, try moving your gun up to your shoulder. As your camoed arms sweep over your solid colored vest, think of the contrast and movement occurring.

Another big problem with some camo clothing is UV brighteners. A great many animals can see UV reflection. Test your chosen camo with a UV or black light. Does it glow? The deer will see that without the aid of a black light. There are commercial products available that can neutralize that, but many detergents contain UV brighteners. Make sure your detergent says on the label "No UV Brighteners".

People 'learn' what camo brands(patterns) work best for where they hunt. For me, I'd rather be a little on the dark side so as to blend in with the shadows, but a truly good camo has dark and light mixed in. Why I loved and hunted for years in the (actual) Vietnam Tigerstripe. But I still maintain, camo only works when you are not moving. As soon as you start moving, especially on a calm day, your chances of being picked off by your quarry go way up wearing camo as opposed to a solid OD green. You've got to pick your time to move into position, raise your gun, draw your bow, if you want any chance of getting a good shot on a relaxed animal.

Camo looks good, but solid hunting practices trump all.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Seriously, camo plays very little in hunting. Movement does. If there was only one color I could have in the woods, it would be OD green. Solid.

Picture wearing a real nice camo(of any brand) and an Orange vest. That orange vest is almost a white vest to a deer's vision, in that it is a light solid color. Now, try moving your gun up to your shoulder. As your camoed arms sweep over your solid colored vest, think of the contrast and movement occurring.

Another big problem with some camo clothing is UV brighteners. A great many animals can see UV reflection. Test your chosen camo with a UV or black light. Does it glow? The deer will see that without the aid of a black light. There are commercial products available that can neutralize that, but many detergents contain UV brighteners. Make sure your detergent says on the label "No UV Brighteners".

People 'learn' what camo brands(patterns) work best for where they hunt. For me, I'd rather be a little on the dark side so as to blend in with the shadows, but a truly good camo has dark and light mixed in. Why I loved and hunted for years in the (actual) Vietnam Tigerstripe. But I still maintain, camo only works when you are not moving. As soon as you start moving, especially on a calm day, your chances of being picked off by your quarry go way up wearing camo as opposed to a solid OD green. You've got to pick your time to move into position, raise your gun, draw your bow, if you want any chance of getting a good shot on a relaxed animal.

Camo looks good, but solid hunting practices trump all.

Excellent write up! Exactly the point is was getting at.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I like BDU type pants and was wearing US military stuff but its god aweful expensive sometimes, even used. I started wearing the German Flecktarn uniforms and just unstitch the german flags off the shoulders. Cheap and affordable and pretty tough. Most of it used but you can't tell when you get it.

I also have the Cabelas outfitter camo overwear when I can find it on sale. I like the Flecktarn camo, Cabelas Outfitter and old school kind when I can find it. Most of the new stuff looks like a dark blog in the shadows to me.

I found a lot of stuff comes with UV glowing strands in it you didn't know was there. I also found my crossbow strings look like they are glowing green under the UV flashlight. UV blocking wax didn't help either. I actually threw out some older clothes I had from using it.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Best camo of all is to sit still and be quiet.

This!
    I take and have taken a lot of kids hunting over the years, and this is where the hunting blinds shine. Try getting a young kid to sit still for hours, it’s no fun for anyone. I want them to enjoy the hunt, get hooked, so they will go again.

I don’t have to worry about getting kids in and out of tree stands. No fall risk! They can also move around a bit more, without being seen, and are more comfortable.
    Heck, I hunt a lot in blinds myself these days, because of these same benefits. Plus, if it’s raining, I don’t get wet!

Don’t get me wrong, I still get in tree stands, but if the conditions and terrain allow, I’m hunting in a blind. Put in a nice camping chair, add a few snacks, sitting all day, isn’t bad at all.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I agree with the others... the best camo for deer is whatever clothing keeps you warm, dry and comfortable so you can sit still. The only times I've screwed up big time is when I've gotten cold and started fidgeting to keep warm. To that end, my other "camo" is a neutral colored book to read. Others probably disagree, but I always read in my tree stand to help me sit still and thus enhance my concealment. I just glance up at the end of every page to see if anything has come into my zone. I've killed a lot of deer while reading.

...But I also think a big part of hunting is mindset. The hunting mindset is what keeps your head focused on hunting, sitting still, listening, watching that freaked out squirrel run around, etc. To improve my mindset, I like to use face paint for bow hunting and waterfowl. That's how I "dress for success" and I have no empirical data whatsoever to prove that it works. I also normally won't eat a big meal before going out. I think the hunger makes me hunt better.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Thanks everyone.

I struggle with getting cold too. By about 9-930 in the stand two things start to happen. One is the shivering. Two is the need to go to the bathroom.

Sitting still isn't my main problem until those kick in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom