• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I'm sitting in my blind typing this. Its been raining since I got here. Wind is just starting to pick up. Seen 1 gobbler but too far for a shot. Seen more deer than I saw the entire deer season. I walked by one about 15 yards away. It just stood there looking at me. Haven't heard a cluck or Gobble all morning. Still beats sitting at home during this lockdown.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Had a hen come to 28 yards. Just running a full choke so was happy to get a bird this close. Then driving out saw 4 small gobblers together at 1226 PM.

No blind, no calls. Just hiding behind a big tree playing slice the pie as she got close. Snow was not appreciated. No birds came home, but still fun.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    #1 son and his buddy smoked some good gobblers at around 1100. On other ends of the farm nearly at the same time.
    He was ready to come earlier but they stuck it out. No hens around he said they must have been sitting because of the rain. I should have went:( When I told him I was going to go out he said I was going to mess them up lol.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Got up at 3:15
    Sat in the rain in a patch of poison ivy
    Watched a hawk attack one of the decoys
    Saw two bald eagles and saw a fox eating breakfast
    Had a five guys burger for lunch

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    Guess I just got lo lucky. Can't believe I called him away from a hen on the other side of a property line fence row. 22lbs 10.5 beard, 1in spurs. The lack of snow this year must have been easy on the beard

Attachments

• 20200418_071057.jpg
      20200418_071057.jpg
      164.4 KB · Views: 256

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Went out this morning. Heard one gobble a couple times way off in the distance and had to leave around 8 to go fix a machine at work.

I hear them gobbling constantly.

I’d shoot one when I see them, but I think my neighbor’d be losses if I shot one of his turkeys (he’s got like half a dozen gobblers and a few goats).

Do domestic turkeys pull in wood turkeys? I doubt I can call one in to my 4.4 acres. I do know they are out in the woods not too far from here and I see them often in Potapsco state park half a mile from here.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Gobblers will not pull in gobblers but hens calls could if they are close enough. It can be very hard and frustrating to hunt a small property for turkeys.

We hunted Sunday in two groups. One guy saw a bunch of turkeys and didn't get one due to a mis fire on the gun. We tried getting my daughter a bird and couldn't pull the gobbler with several setups and attempts. From what I see they are just beginning matting. Boys are all puffed up and strutting, but the girls aren't broken up yet and ready to nest at our spot. My buddy killed one in Clear Spring and that bird was pretty worn on the chest from mating. They need another week or two at our spot. We saw a group of jakes and they wouldn't even respond to a hen decoy and a hen call.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    This morning has been frustrating to say the least. Heard the gobbler go up on roost last night on neighboring property. This morning, not a single gobble. I heard some hens behind me towards the state park, but it's been pretty quiet so far. Only have another hour or so to hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    We setup on one Gobbler yesterday and we knew a hen was there. After waiting a while three hens came down the hill and started dust bathing 15 to 20 yards in front of my daughter. Put on a show for a while and then noticed her, putted a bit and walked off. The gobbler never showed again.

The hens don't seem like they are quite ready this past week. The gobblers are just warming up too.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I let a friend hunt the farm Saturday and today

He short a nice Tom today

We have a lotta turkey for some reason and just taking care of the chicken this weekend we say 19 birds

The guy hunting saw, called in, 24 sat and he said 32 today before he picked the one he shot

He’s acting like we have the best turkey hunting in the world lol

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Gobblers will not pull in gobblers but hens calls could if they are close enough. It can be very hard and frustrating to hunt a small property for turkeys.

We hunted Sunday in two groups. One guy saw a bunch of turkeys and didn't get one due to a mis fire on the gun. We tried getting my daughter a bird and couldn't pull the gobbler with several setups and attempts. From what I see they are just beginning matting. Boys are all puffed up and strutting, but the girls aren't broken up yet and ready to nest at our spot. My buddy killed one in Clear Spring and that bird was pretty worn on the chest from mating. They need another week or two at our spot. We saw a group of jakes and they wouldn't even respond to a hen decoy and a hen call.

So try some hen cutting to see if I can get some wild gobblers? My neighbor has seen them at the end of the road my neighbor's house is on (and it wasn't the neighbor's birds). I've seen them in the park a bunch not far away (usually when deer hunting). I've found a couple turkey feathers on my property, but that could have been blown over from the neighbors (he's got some kind of heritage breeds. From a distance, looks like wild turkeys). My wife's been wanting to get turkeys, but I hear bad things about them. Pain in the butt, gotta clip their wings, need a ton more space than chickens, tend to be mean, takes a lot longer to get to slaughter weight. My great grandfather (died before I was born) was a turkey farmer.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Man I swear this gobbler is taunting me. Had a rough night with the kids last night and didnt get out this morning. I just let the dogs out and hes back there gobbling right where I was set up

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Man I swear this gobbler is taunting me. Had a rough night with the kids last night and didnt get out this morning. I just let the dogs out and hes back there gobbling right where I was set up

I ran out and set up at the edge of my horse pasture. Called him in, he was only 20 yards away, but hung up in a creek bed below me where I couldnt see him. Then he shut up and was gone.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    ). My wife's been wanting to get turkeys, but I hear bad things about them. Pain in the butt, gotta clip their wings, need a ton more space than chickens, tend to be mean, takes a lot longer to get to slaughter weight. My great grandfather (died before I was born) was a turkey farmer.

None of that is true (except maybe the growth part). Turkeys are awesome. Way cooler than chickens, especially if you get heritage breeds. I was sceptical when we first got ours, but we won't be without them. Have two babies in the starter pen on the table right now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom