Speaker Mike Busch Placed on Ventilator, Health "has significantly deteriorated"

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Traditionally the majority party delegate with the next highest seniority is "elected" into the position. I believe that would be one of the delegates from Baltimore. .

Ok, so a swamp monster again. It beats the alternative, at least, in the same way that getting hit by a car "beats" getting hit by the Acela...

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Get caught and you will be a prohibited firearms owner.

Huh, you weren't kidding.
    § 10-404. Cemetery -- Destroying funerary objects; indecent conduct
    (c) Prohibited -- Indecent or disorderly conduct. -- A person may not engage in indecent
    or disorderly conduct in a cemetery.
    (d) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on
    conviction is subject to:
    (2) for a violation of subsection (b) or (c) of this section, imprisonment not exceeding
    2 years or a fine not exceeding $ 500 or both.​

Interestingly, unlawful removal of human remains carries only a 1-year misdemeanor penalty ...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Traditionally the majority party delegate with the next highest seniority is "elected" into the position. I believe that would be one of the delegates from Baltimore. .

If it defaults to the Majority leader, that would be Dumais.

If not, then it might be an interesting event given that there is no heir apparent, so the power vacuum just created will also create a bunch of infighting and Democrats eating their own. This might might bode well with regards to the cohesiveness of the Democrats, or lack there of.

May he finally rest, and thoughts for his family.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

That is a new level of hell. I think Hieronymus Bosch did some paintings depicting this possibility.

If not, then it might be an interesting event given that there is no heir apparent, so the power vacuum just created will also create a bunch of infighting and Democrats eating their own.

I think Bosch covered that, as well.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    That is a new level of hell. I think Hieronymus Bosch did some paintings depicting this possibility.

I think Bosch covered that, as well.

This could be fun to watch. :popcorn:

This is what the MD Dims sent out:
    On Sunday news broke that Michael Busch, Speaker to the Maryland House of Delegates was placed on a ventilator due to complications with Pneumonia. Hours later, news outlets confirmed that Speaker Busch passed away. He was 72 years old.

Busch served as speaker for 16 years and is the longest-serving speaker in Maryland history. He was born in Baltimore City, and was a coach and teacher at St. Mary’s High School in Annapolis when he decided to run for office in 1987. Busch served as chair of the Anne Arundel County delegation from 1991 through 1993. In 1994, he was appointed to chair the House Economic Matters Committee, and remained in the position until being unanimously elected in 2003 to serve as Speaker of the House.

“The Maryland Democratic Party mourns the loss of Speaker Michael E. Busch. He dedicated more than 30 years of his career to public service in the House of Delegates,” Maryland Democratic Party Chair Maya Rockeymoore Cummings said. “Speaker Busch has left an indelible mark on the lives of all Marylanders through his longtime leadership of the House of Delegates as a champion for the people and the environment. It was an honor to serve alongside him this year as Party Chair. Our prayers and deepest sympathies are extended to the Busch family.”

Busch’s formidable policy wins include support for marriage equality, the repeal of the death penalty, passage of a $15 minimum wage, environmental protections for the Chesapeake Bay, an assault weapons ban, and the decriminalization of posession of small amounts of marijuana—among many other major policy victories over the decades.

Maryland State Senate President Thomas Mike Miller, Jr. released a statement regarding his longtime colleague and friend:

“My heart is broken for Mike Busch’s family, the State of Maryland, and the Speaker’s extended family—elected officials and staff that he has been a mentor and coach to over his time in public service...he cared for every corner of the state, but never forgot about the people he was elected to represent. I will miss him as a friend and partner in state government and I join all the state in mourning his passing.”

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

If not, then it might be an interesting event given that there is no heir apparent, so the power vacuum just created will also create a bunch of infighting and Democrats eating their own. This might might bode well with regards to the cohesiveness of the Democrats, or lack there of.

May he finally rest, and thoughts for his family.

IIRC, the Speaker Pro Tem, Delegate Adrienne Jones of Baltimore County, automatically becomes Acting Speaker. I'm guessing the House won't elect a new Speaker this session, but will wait until the 2020 session to permanently fill the job. At that point, it's up for grabs to whoever gets the most votes in the House, and it's going to be a bigger food fight than when Caspar Taylor was replaced by Busch in 2003.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I won’t speak ill of the dead. In other news, today was a fantastic day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom