• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jskello

Oct 23, 2016
    Bowie MD
    I am looking for some assistance building an AR9 under $400. Can my Maryland shooter folks help me out.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I agree with those above, you can't put together an AR9 for that little. The suggestion of the PC Carbine is a good one.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not sure it can be done and have it run reliably.

This. I built a budget AR-15 and an AR pistol for that or slightly less. However the problem is that 9mm parts are proprietary enough and uncommon enough you probably aren’t going to be able to get them as cheap.

Example, you can find AR-15 lowers for $50 in MD. But AR-9 dedicated lowers are going to be hard to find for less than $100. Or you are spending $50-100 on a magwell adapter. BCG can be bad for $60 for an AR-15, but an AR-9 you are going to be hard pressed to find one under $100 and more likely $150+

It isn’t an impossible task, but you are going to spend a ton of time finding sales and accumulating parts and often they don’t run quite right the first time, which means investing in a replacement part of two to get it tweaked and running right.

I’d budget $500 as a minimum budget AR-9 and figure reasonable, quick and running right may be more like $600-800.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Example, you can find AR-15 lowers for $50 in MD. But AR-9 dedicated lowers are going to be hard to find for less than $100. Or you are spending $50-100 on a magwell adapter. BCG can be bad for $60 for an AR-15, but an AR-9 you are going to be hard pressed to find one under $100 and more likely $150+

It isn’t an impossible task, but you are going to spend a ton of time finding sales and accumulating parts and often they don’t run quite right the first time, which means investing in a replacement part of two to get it tweaked and running right.

I’d budget $500 as a minimum budget AR-9 and figure reasonable, quick and running right may be more like $600-800.

Its easily doable if you hunt for sales. Mine is close to that using a really expensive semi-molithic Aero COP upper. Colt 9mm BCGs are $100 on GB if you wait for a sale. I have 2 extras. Its a blowback bolt though so not really all that different than my cheaper one. Even Hipoint can make a reliable blowback gun. Metal magwell inserts were $30 from PSA on sale. I have 3. (FWIW, They drop in if you modify the BHO feature.) W/ an insert you don't need another lower. Just drop in the insert, swap the spring & buffer, and go. Someone was blowing out 9mm barrels for $30-40 last month.

Any 9mm you build is going to take a little fiddling. For example: I have my SBR upper happily digesting 147gr w/o a suppressor but it doesn't like lighter loads unsuppressed. I'd need to go to a lighter spring or buffer.

The suggestion to just go buy a Ruger PCC instead shouldn't be overlooked.

blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    For that price get a Kel-Tec sub2k or the superior Ruger PCC.
    My dad has both and he and I both like the Ruger waaaay more.

As others have stated, you'll need $700-800 to get a proper AR-9 setup and running reliably.
    Believe me, I just went through it. I love the damn thing and it runs like a top, but it took some money and some doing.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Don't go cheap on AR-9 parts. I broke 2 cheaper BCGs before I bought a better one that has not failed. Now I have 2 separate uppers for difference kinds of competition.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    My AR9 was not cheap at all. Maybe prices have improved. The Ruger is excellent and can be had under $500 on sale.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I second the Ruger PCC. Superb carbine that fits in a backpack. I like it better in most ways than the 9mm ar.

To answer your question, it’s a tough proposition that can be accomplished if you aren’t picky about what you end up with and aren’t in a hurry. It’s going to take some fiddling though, so if you don’t have the patience for that or to wait, go ruger.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Don't go cheap on AR-9 parts. I broke 2 cheaper BCGs before I bought a better one that has not failed. Now I have 2 separate uppers for difference kinds of competition.

Ya, this! The AR pistol rounds guns can be sketchy budget builds.

A friend of mine had a PSA ar45 in which the bcg catch was defective, I told him to get rid of it, it was dangerous. Sure enough he put a round in the wall.

They're not near as standard as an AR and therefore not as cheap for the quality you get.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OP, if it's an AR9 you crave, save your money (and time and patience), double it, and you can have the AR9 you want and will love to shoot.

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    I like the AR-9mm as it uses mostly AR-15 parts that are easy to get.

You could look for used parts and may save some money.

I would do what outrider58 says above. Get the good stuff. For lowers, I can say that the Black Creek Precision 9mm dedicated works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom