Krag 30-40 Action, Conversion to other calibers possible?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    To get this part out of the way first: I intend to do this as a random parts build first and foremost. That out of the way, I want to know the feasibility of setting up a Krag in something other than 30-40 Krag.

I would like to know what other calibers I could consider setting one up in for fun as getting 30-40 Krag (or just components to load for it) can be a pain at times. Plus, I love the action of Krags and would shoot this alot, so having a common source ammo would be great. So, anyone got any ideas or knowledge to share?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Do you own any Krags and are you familiar with their mechanical functioning?

The rimmed case and magazine, being designed specifically for that rifle, may be difficult to overcome.

Are you thinking of going with an 8mm Mauser/.30-06 rimless parent case for your build?

The first thing I would try is .30-30 Winchester. The Krag case rim is .040 inches bigger in diameter though. Based on the two cases I just measured.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    444 marlin is about the only other cartridge I can think of that is worthy of the conversion for a US rifle. 6.5x55 would be another but not really a conversion because rifles can already be found chambered as such.
    Cartridge pressure should be the primary concern because of the design with only one locking bolt.
    30/40 is what I would stick with. Plenty of bullet selection, brass is out there and you can get a CBI rifle or carbine barrel from the cmp.
    I just rebuilt a shooter rifle not long ago that can be seen in the gunsmith forum. Pretty easy to do at home and fun to do.
    Krags are beautifully made rifles but a little quirky in comparison to the later service rifles.
    Especially the trigger group but easy once you study the mechanism.
    I’m trying to obtain a bubba’ed example now for something to do.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I don't own any Krags but know their basic functioning from using a friend's and examining more than a few in greater detail than just eyeballing it (taking down actions and such for deep cleaning).

That being said, I want to get my hands on an action for myself as I might end up going a bit... extreme with this. I wonder if there would be a market for a Krag-style rifle in a modern caliber? (and for the record the patents on the Krag are all long expired).

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I don't own any Krags but know their basic functioning from using a friend's and examining more than a few in greater detail than just eyeballing it (taking down actions and such for deep cleaning).

That being said, I want to get my hands on an action for myself as I might end up going a bit... extreme with this. I wonder if there would be a market for a Krag-style rifle in a modern caliber? (and for the record the patents on the Krag are all long expired).

This country's firearm manufacturers couldn't produce a Krag action.

Too much attention to detail would be required.

Manufacturers barely deburr their work.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    You would really want to have to do it. Compound radius curves on the inside plus the complicated exterior have fun.
    Most would have to completely strip the loading gate and pop the side plate off one to appreciate them. Unbelievable machine work.
    I think a Garand action is like 279 separate machining operations, a Krag has got to be right up there or more.
    If it didn’t have a split bridge, one bolt lug and a trigger that moved downward as it moved rearwards with a starboard mounted box it would just be a Mauser.
    Have fun.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Keep in mind, the Krag is NOT I repeat, NOT the strongest action out there. Contrary to what some may think and say... ONE locking lug. The 30/40 is really a pretty good damn round as it is. Being well over 100 years old I load DOWN for it, not up.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The Krag has three points that take chamber pressure when being fired.

A locking lug on the bolt/chamber.

A machined rib on the bolt body that meshes with the receiver.

And the receiver recess that houses the bolt handle.

Keep in mind, the Krag is NOT I repeat, NOT the strongest action out there. Contrary to what some may think and say... ONE locking lug. The 30/40 is really a pretty good damn round as it is. Being well over 100 years old I load DOWN for it, not up.

Two lugs, but you are spot on.
    The US Springfield Krag has a pretty weak action. Look into SAAMI specs for a .30 Army/.30US/.30-40 Krag. The acceptable pressure is quite low and it is not because of the chamber.

I am a Kragaphile.

ETA- The US Krag has the smoothest bolt function in the history of bolt action rifles.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Two lugs, but you are spot on.
    The US Springfield Krag has a pretty weak action. Look into SAAMI specs for a .30 Army/.30US/.30-40 Krag. The acceptable pressure is quite low and it is not because of the chamber.

I am a Kragaphile.

ETA- The US Krag has the smoothest bolt function in the history of bolt action rifles.

You're probably talking the bolt handle in it's recess... correct? I could be wrong but I think one can put a feeler gauge between it and the cutout.

Either way it's inferior to both the 03 and 1917 from a strength POV. It is without doubt SLICKER than snot slippery smooth. That and the looks of the odd box appeal to me.

Now that all being said I'll give you even up 1 .22LR for a 30/40 round. :innocent0

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back in the day , there were a plethora of .30-40 based Wildcats , necked up and necked down . In addition to converted Krags , were used in various single shot actions .

To approach from the reverse direction , scour the offerings of Redding , RCBS, HDS, etc to what dies are available on special order Off the top of my head a .35/.30-40 should make an interesting cast bullet rifle . I think .25Krag was somewhat popular in the day .

And of course , the .30-40 is a great ctg in itself , the long neck being a favorable design feature for cast bullet use .

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I'll post back here this weekend, but going to investigate what it would take to get a Krag in 30-30. You guys have seriously piqued my interest there and now I want to follow the idea through. Yes, I am crazy about projects.

You're probably talking the bolt handle in it's recess... correct? I could be wrong but I think one can put a feeler gauge between it and the cutout.

Either way it's inferior to both the 03 and 1917 from a strength POV. It is without doubt SLICKER than snot slippery smooth. That and the looks of the odd box appeal to me.

Now that all being said I'll give you even up 1 .22LR for a 30/40 round. :innocent0

I have some ".30 Army" marked brass. I will give you one.

I'll post back here this weekend, but going to investigate what it would take to get a Krag in 30-30. You guys have seriously piqued my interest there and now I want to follow the idea through. Yes, I am crazy about projects.

Bubba Krags can be had for peanuts.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I have some ".30 Army" marked brass. I will give you one.

Bubba Krags can be had for peanuts.

This would be cool but unless you had a ton of it I'd rather you keep it because it's getting hard to come by.

I bought maybe 20 rounds of loaded 30 Army for 5 bucks... turned out it was reformed and loaded into 303 Brit. :rolleyes:

If I can find it I need to pull the bullets and reform it back if it isn't work hardened.

This would be cool but unless you had a ton of it I'd rather you keep it because it's getting hard to come by.

I bought maybe 20 rounds of loaded 30 Army for 5 bucks... turned out it was reformed and loaded into 303 Brit. :rolleyes:

If I can find it I need to pull the bullets and reform it back if it isn't work hardened.

Hornady now makes Krag ammo and brass. I would grab a few hundred or so cases while it is still being made.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Just tried running some .30-30 through my Krag.

The cartridge will enter the magazine. The bolt will pick up a round. But common flat nosed .30-30 bullets nose dive and won't enter the chamber.

I placed a round in the chamber and was able to close the bolt completely. The extractor claw barely pulls the case from the chamber. Which makes sense. Since the .30-30 rim is so much smaller. Ejecting is non-existent. For the same reason.

I'm going to load up some dummy rounds with cast spitzer bullets to see if a longer, more tapered round, will enter the chamber when stripped from the magazine. Didn't look close enough to decide whether the extractor claw stop can be relieved some. So it will drop closer to the center of the bolt. It only has to be relieved/moved .020 inches. Since the .30-30 rim diameter is .040 smaller than the .30-40 rim diameter.

The bolt face would have to be welded up and machined to fit the .30-30 rim.

As the wise man said: YOU CAN DO IT!!!

PS: The spitzer bullet will allow the .30-30 cartridge to be stripped out of the magazine. BUT...the rim diameter is too small to allow the bolt face to continue pushing the cartridge all the way into the chamber. The bolt face rides over the rim and the bolt face bites into the side of the case. Jam city. Can't increase the bolt face/bolt body diameter. So I'm not sure how this would be overcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom