• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    It appears they did some extensive drop testing on the Sig P320 and have decided to no longer sell it as a result. The Sig P320 will fire if dropped at a certain angle.
    Interestingly enough when they put a lighter trigger in the gun it reduced or eliminated the occurrence of firing a round when dropped at that angle. I'm probably going to just put a lighter flat faced trigger in mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch7si_VQsGA

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    I guess it's good that we have a handgun safety review board that catches all of these safety issues. Kind of makes you wonder what the handgun review board is actually for? :lol2: I'm still waiting for the Ruger Mark IV Tactical to get on the roster. Guess they don't like the word Tactical in the name? :innocent0
    :lol:

Perfessor

Mar 6, 2017
    Anne Arundel
    Holy crap, that's a compelling video. The P320 Compact was on my wish list ...

More importantly, we clearly have to change the government/industry testing protocol.

Perfessor

Mar 6, 2017
    Anne Arundel
    But I just realized some of the shots have the person standing right there, dropping the damned things onto concrete *with their bare hands* ... no protection, no evident barrier, no nothing (see, e.g. the video at 1:52). From the Omaha Outdoors video (not the kid in the garage), it's clearly not an automated/robotic test, which I would think to be the obvious method.

I find it *really* hard to believe that an actual firearms-safety tester would put him/herself in such danger. What's the chance the video clips are fake?

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    So they took a couple pistols after "torture testing" them, and found they would fire when thrown repeatedly in a way that nobody else tests? Seems like a lot of variables, even if there is something to their results. Probably a lot of other pistols that would "fail" whatever test criteria or lack thereof they are applying. Wonder if they are re-testing everything they sell and pulling them, being they sell Hi-point and Taurus, their standards must be lofty.

Perfessor

Mar 6, 2017
    Anne Arundel
    Yeah, I suspect that a competitor who DIDN'T get the US Gov't contract spent a lot of time and money finding and publicizing the gun's weakness/es. And similar weaknesses would be found with many other guns, because that particular drop angle is not part of the industry/gov't drop-test protocol.

f1racecar

MDS Supporter
    Feb 11, 2011
    Havre de Grace
    These tests were conducted with primers only. Bullets were pulled from the cartridges. You can even see the slides did not cycle when the gun went off.

Perfessor

Mar 6, 2017
    Anne Arundel
    Okay, I don't know enough of cartridge & chamber mechanics ... is that a completely valid test? Is there any way that a gun behaves differently if/when a bullet is present in the cartridge? (other than the obvious)

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Yeah, I suspect that a competitor who DIDN'T get the US Gov't contract spent a lot of time and money finding and publicizing the gun's weakness/es. And similar weaknesses would be found with many other guns, because that particular drop angle is not part of the industry/gov't drop-test protocol.

The seller decided to replicate the findings of the Dallas TX PD.

This test was NOT sponsored by any competitors.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Okay, I don't know enough of cartridge & chamber mechanics ... is that a completely valid test? Is there any way that a gun behaves differently if/when a bullet is present in the cartridge? (other than the obvious)

Yes. Same way dryfire replicates the ignition cycle of a firearm. Only difference is the bullet itself being launched.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    So I pick up my Sig P320 from my dealer tomorrow and I couldn't care less about this issue. Even if it is as bad as some people suggest, I will just make a mental note that in the EXTREMELY rare circumstance that I need this pistol in a self defense scenario, I will hold the loaded firearm in my hands and point it towards the person/people I intend to shoot rather than throwing the loaded firearm at them. Should clear the issue right up.

Perfessor

Mar 6, 2017
    Anne Arundel
    I think the issue is more that the guy next to you on the range might accidentally knock his loaded pistol off the bench. Just like driving - WE'RE not the problem, it's all the other idiots on the road. :D

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    So I pick up my Sig P320 from my dealer tomorrow and I couldn't care less about this issue. Even if it is as bad as some people suggest, I will just make a mental note that in the EXTREMELY rare circumstance that I need this pistol in a self defense scenario, I will hold the loaded firearm in my hands and point it towards the person/people I intend to shoot rather than throwing the loaded firearm at them. Should clear the issue right up.

I used to be the same way regarding non drop safe guns. Oh I'm just going to shoot them and not drop it.

Then someone smarter than me enlightened me to 2 things.
    1. Slipping and falling is bad enough. Slipping and falling AND shooting yourself(or worse someone innocent) is a bad fvcking day.
    2. When the nice policeman says drop the gun, 9 times out of 10 it's not a polite suggestion. And God forbid you drop it and it discharges cause then you're deffo getting shot.

Only drop safe guns for me please.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Probably a lot of other pistols that would "fail" whatever test criteria or lack thereof they are applying. Wonder if they are re-testing everything they sell and pulling them, being they sell Hi-point and Taurus, their standards must be lofty.

This^^^. The drops were all in line with the trigger pull. Inertia is a bitch. I'm just really surprised to hear that the lighter trigger pulls resolved the issue, that seems counter intuitive.

I'm not a sig fan boy, but I wonder how many other firearms would fail the same test. It does sound like the drop testing protocol needs to be updated as the current conditions do not seem to be the worst case scenario for the test. I guess we will see what Sig does to address this issue.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I used to be the same way regarding non drop safe guns. Oh I'm just going to shoot them and not drop it.

Then someone smarter than me enlightened me to 2 things.
    1. Slipping and falling is bad enough. Slipping and falling AND shooting yourself(or worse someone innocent) is a bad fvcking day.
    2. When the nice policeman says drop the gun, 9 times out of 10 it's not a polite suggestion. And God forbid you drop it and it discharges cause then you're deffo getting shot.

Only drop safe guns for me please.

Touche sir, Touche. Those are both great points that make way to much sense for me to try and argue with. Internet battle won, good day to you sir.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    so, the weight of the trigger is what they are saying is an issue. But won't the springs also be a factor?
    It is the mass of the trigger vs the spring is it not? Plus any friction from the sear contact , correct?
    I would expect MORE variation from spring to spring then from weight of one trigger to the next.
    I am by no means an sig expert , not even close but the Sig (don't recall the model) my friend let me try has a VERY light first stage to the 2 stage trigger.

Juche90

May 10, 2014
    I wonder if this will have any implications for the P320 80% project that ghost guns is working on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom