• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I picked up a Ruger 10/22 Takedown a couple weeks ago and of course I want to replace the bolt release. I picked up a Volquartsen replacement. My problem is when I went to do the install. In all the videos online, it seems to be fairly easy to remove the pins holding the trigger housing to the receiver. Either mine are super tight or I am just being too timid with the hammer and punch tool. Has anyone had this problem, or do I just need to not be afraid to whack them harder? Of course, while trying this, the pin to hold the magazine release will fall right out. :sad20:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I think I remember having to get a little bit vigorous with mine when I put my Kidd bolt release in it, but it's been a while.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Totally depends on the gun and how lucky you got with tolerances. My first 10/22 required some effort to get the pin out. My second 10/22's (the "0% Ghost" I 3D printed) pin basically falls out if I tilt the trigger pack at all. IMHO, the latter is far more annoying than the former.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Just bring it to me. I will gladly do the job. However, I am busy and it may take me somewhere in the 10-12 month period to get the job done. BTW, did I mention I will test fire the rifle for you too? :D

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have taken apart two 10/22s in my life, and neither of the trigger assemblies required any more than a light touch. As other said, mine pretty much just fall out.

They are designed to come out. Perhaps they have started getting better tolerances in, or maybe the pins have a burr.

I would just apply a bit more pressure and I am sure they will come loose.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Well, I tried again to change out the bolt release and had no problems. It is amazing how well things go when you use the proper tools like a real hammer and proper punches. It required a stiff smack, but them came out and went back in fine.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    LOL, I need to be careful mine don't fall out on their own. I put a BX trigger in mine last week all I had to do was tilt it to the side and out they came!

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    LOL, I need to be careful mine don't fall out on their own. I put a BX trigger in mine last week all I had to do was tilt it to the side and out they came!

Yep, and when you put the action back in stock, any slight tilt while installing, mine fall out. Then you hunt on the floor.
    I did the BX as well. Kind of strange you have plunk down more money to get a trigger that should be stock.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Yep, and when you put the action back in stock, any slight tilt while installing, mine fall out. Then you hunt on the floor.
    I did the BX as well. Kind of strange you have plunk down more money to get a trigger that should be stock.

That trigger cost me over half of what I paid for the rifle!

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I had an idea about this....

Have you tried to push them out from both sides? Perhaps they are a bit thicker on one side. You can't see them, so if you mar them a slight bit, who cares.....

You can also call Ruger. Just say, if they aren't coming out should I just use a bigger hammer or.......... :shrug:

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    You can also call Ruger. Just say, if they aren't coming out should I just use a bigger hammer or.......... :shrug:

I am sure that will go over well...Dear Sirs, I am trying to replace what is probably the most hated part on the 10/22 with the possible exception of the trigger itself.

I don't understand why they haven't changed the design of the bolt release. I am assuming that they feel that having it operate the way that it does serves some purpose, but I can't figure out what. Unless they are worried about someone accidentally catching the charging handle on something and releasing the bolt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom