Marlin 980v - opinions? School me please!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    I ran across a Marlin 980v with a Leupold 2-7x33 Rifleman glass on it. I have never paid much attention to Marlin before as I never wanted a bolt .22, but, times change. Any help you all could give me would be appreciated. What about aftermarket stocks, upgrades etc... does its action fit other chassis etc? Thank you in advance

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have no direct experience with the Marlin but my opinion is to buy a Savage. Same ballpark price, tons of aftermarket support, and are known to be tack drivers. You cannot beat them for the price.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I ran across a Marlin 980v with a Leupold 2-7x33 Rifleman glass on it. I have never paid much attention to Marlin before as I never wanted a bolt .22, but, times change. Any help you all could give me would be appreciated. What about aftermarket stocks, upgrades etc... does its action fit other chassis etc? Thank you in advance

I have a Marlin 60 that's solid. I would expect the same from the 980V.

Not sure about after-market support. You could probably get a Boyd's stock for it. But it may shoot well out of the box and not require anything.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Nothing wrong with that Marlin rifle. In my experience Marlins are under rated. The 17 and 22 rimfire magnum versions of the 980 are tack drivers. A new 22 Mag sporter I bought about 2 years ago shoots fine.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The bolt action Marlin .22s are fine little rifles . The oem synthetic stocks do what a .22 stock needs to do . If I looked the 980v up correctly, it has the heavier bull bbl , with no iron sights , so that would be refering to scope choices ?

If I needed another quasi- sporter.22 bolt gun , I'd be happy with that, unless it needed bedding or somthing on purpose. And I've been known to paint black synthetic .22 stocks spruce green , just because I like spruce green.

But everybody isn't me , and increasingly they aren't . Changing everything on a perfectly good rifle is valid and popular . If you are so inclined, a Ruger is your Huckleberry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom