• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -In the late 80's the Australian government decided to auction off the entire store of SMLEs, parts and tools to a single successful bidder. When the dust cleared John Jovino Co of New York, NY got the whole shebang. You'll find their import mark on the right side of the receiver, just behind the stripper bridge.
    -So many of the Australian SMLEs that you run across here in the US will be JJCO imports. While the vast majority are original Australian assembled and fielded rifles there are some that were assembled by JJCO staff from brand new spares. The No1 MKIII*s will have an "A" prefix serial number. The No2 MKIV .22 trainers will have a "T" prefix. The No1s don't get much love as JJ didn't bother to install recoil blocks, a must if you're going to shoot it. That tends to scare most away and thus drive the value of them down. I've installed copper recoil blocks in the past and it's not difficult, you just need to be very patient and careful.
    -20 or more years ago I ran across the only JJCO No2 MKIV I've seen in the flesh at a PA gun show. It wasn't identified as a "clone" and it certainly got lots of attention. Even when listed at $500 in a time when a nice, original No2 MKIV sold for around $300.
    -Just a couple of months ago I watched a JJCO No2 hammer on GunBroker for $1.2K. So when the opportunity to grab this one for $325 OTD came the shooter in me over-rode the collector. Not often do you get to buy an unfired No2, even if it's not original.
    -Rear sight is new, along with everything else, but for a No1 in .303 so the range marks are of little value. Will try to dig up another Canadian Cooey No2 sight, a favorite of mine.

Attachments

• IMGP8912.JPG
      IMGP8912.JPG
      20.1 KB · Views: 403
    • IMGP8913.JPG
      IMGP8913.JPG
      25.6 KB · Views: 354
    • IMGP8915.JPG
      IMGP8915.JPG
      38.6 KB · Views: 361
    • IMGP8916.JPG
      IMGP8916.JPG
      48.3 KB · Views: 350
    • IMGP8917.JPG
      IMGP8917.JPG
      44.4 KB · Views: 345
    • IMGP8918.JPG
      IMGP8918.JPG
      46.7 KB · Views: 344
    • IMGP8921.JPG
      IMGP8921.JPG
      43.6 KB · Views: 346

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Exceptionally nice, I remember getting one for Christmas several years ago. Had a brand new coachwood stock on it. I was disappointed it was an "official" Enfield trainer, but I hear they're excellent shooters and still hold value (as you just pointed out).

Great pics and a nice piece!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    looks good, since its a 22, do you still need to install the recoil blocks?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    looks good, since its a 22, do you still need to install the recoil blocks?

Nope! No recoil to speak of so no stress on the forestock. Everyone should get the chance to shoot an Enfield trainer, rates high on the giggle factor. And the strange look you get from nearby shooters who are expecting more of a muzzle report is priceless.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Nope! No recoil to speak of so no stress on the forestock. Everyone should get the chance to shoot an Enfield trainer, rates high on the giggle factor. And the strange look you get from nearby shooters who are expecting more of a muzzle report is priceless.

Not unless you try to remove the forend by twisting it off from towards the muzzle! (Im sure you already knew that though)

Thats a great looking rifle and very clever find. The last one I seen someone ran a 22 mag reamer into it.:shocked3:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom