• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I use 2.226" as the OAL for all of my .223 hand loads which admittedly is long, but still within specifications. They have proven to feed reliably in every AR I have. If the rounds fit into the magazine without difficulty, it should be within specifications. Not sure I would agree that the length is a problem on your ammo. Perhaps something else is causing the problem.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    short OAL can be bad also. its going to float around front and back in the magazine plus some potential other things.
    look for any scrapes or such near the neck.
    If you were to get a pic of the round in the action when a failure happens, that may clue some people into what is going on.

I know avoiding that ammo will likely solve your issue but everyone likes to have a fault tolerant firearm in the end.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    So after some home testing here is where I'm at.

1. Loaded single rounds into the magazine and could not reproduce the issue. However since the malfunction I did give it a good cleaning, possible it dislodged something causing the issue?

2. I did come across one round that would strip out of the magazine either by releasing the paddle or racking by hand. Loaded a few more rounds under it and it still wouldn't strip out. Had a look at the round everything looks in order and it measured the same as the others.

I did load both "sizes" to see if there was much of a difference and there wasn't. Just that one round. I'm going to hit up Free State tomorrow morning and run a couple of boxes of the Frontier to see if I can duplicate it.

The only thing I can think of is it happens with 10, 9, and 8 rounds in the magazine (this is judging by the original day last week when the failure to feed popped up) . Today untested with single rounds.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    Translation if you don't speak Chad:

STOP USING THE AMMO, IT MAY BLOW UP IN YOUR FACE.

I don't know who Chad is. But if he has a language to his own, I would like to add it to the several I speak now...

That being said, based on the response of this thread I am going to trash my Frontier ammo at this point. Doing my OSINT on the matter it seems several people are discussing Frontier's ability to load ammo properly and have bullets the same size.

I'm not one to pass it off as ammo, but it seems the safer bet at this point.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I measured a few of my ammo types (including American Eagle) and that all come in at 57 +/-.4 mm, not 2.17 (55.1 mm).

Maybe you can return it purely based on that. It seems way out of spec.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    I measured a few of my ammo types (including American Eagle) and that all come in at 57 +/-.4 mm, not 2.17 (55.1 mm).

Maybe you can return it purely based on that. It seems way out of spec.

I got it locally here, the LGS is a stand up guy, he may. Its not a big deal either way to me. I just want to bring it to his attention in case of other customers

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    I don't know who Chad is. But if he has a language to his own, I would like to add it to the several I speak now...

That being said, based on the response of this thread I am going to trash my Frontier ammo at this point. Doing my OSINT on the matter it seems several people are discussing Frontier's ability to load ammo properly and have bullets the same size.

I'm not one to pass it off as ammo, but it seems the safer bet at this point.

Chad, AKA Clandestine, is the resident MDS AR guru. When Chad speaks, MDS listens. Check out the School of the American Rifle in the Industry Partners forum. Found under Firearms Training section.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    Chad, AKA Clandestine, is the resident MDS AR guru. When Chad speaks, MDS listens. Check out the School of the American Rifle in the Industry Partners forum. Found under Firearms Training section.

Ahhh. That guy. Been following him for a while on social media. Damn good videos. Am planning in his course hopefully after the holidays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom