• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Crap, I forgot. Get a copy of "Recreating the American Longrifle". Even if you never build totally from scratch, it's a fantastic reference of technique and tools.
    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'm sure CombatAK will learn from your input.

He was shooting his Kentucky flintlock pretty dayum good at our Hooligan shoot last Sunday.

The target below was at 50 yards. There are actually three shots on the paper. His first two were slightly low and to the right - both hit the same spot...

... And, well, his third shot speaks for itself...

Nice chootin', my friend! :thumbsup:

:)

Attachments

• DSC00417 CombatAK Target SNIP.JPG
      DSC00417 CombatAK Target SNIP.JPG
      67 KB · Views: 205

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Nicely done man! One thing I've learned for sure in shooting flinters; if you can shoot a flintlock well, you can shoot ANYTHING well. A well-built and well-maintained flinter is not really that much slower than a caplock or really even THAT much slower than a cartridge gun. But, it is slower to ignition. Plus the longer barrels, having a flash right near your eyes, and whatnot, and it really tests your fundamentals of trigger squeeze and follow-through.

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    Nicely done man! One thing I've learned for sure in shooting flinters; if you can shoot a flintlock well, you can shoot ANYTHING well. A well-built and well-maintained flinter is not really that much slower than a caplock or really even THAT much slower than a cartridge gun. But, it is slower to ignition. Plus the longer barrels, having a flash right near your eyes, and whatnot, and it really tests your fundamentals of trigger squeeze and follow-through.

Thanks! The .45 flinter I used is WAAAAYYYYY more accurate than my .45 caplock. I am hoping my .50 flinter will be just as accurate when it comes back from Fort Chambers muzzleloaders. I am addicted to black powder now. ;)

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    A flintlock is a postgraduate education in follow-through. And that goes double for a flint pistol, triple for a smoothbore. A flintlock dueller is a cast-iron beast to master, but if you learn to shoot one well, you can shoot anything.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    I am addicted to black powder now. ;)

I know that feeling. It was a good 5-6 years after I started shooting money before I got back to shooting cartridge guns seriously. And they're pretty much all cowboy guns now. I love the smell of black powder smoke.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    The .50 Cal flintlock is on its way to get some TLC from Fort Chambers Muzzleloaders. I am really looking forward to getting her back and getting some range time in. This year I plan on using one of the flinters for Muzzleloader season. My inline just doesn't have the same appeal anymore. Are there any flint knappers on the forum?

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I have owned a couple of Brad Emig's Yorktown rifles. I'm down to one that's my favorite, it's a shorter barreled rifle which works for me since 5'6". Hard to load those 54" rifles. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom