• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Shooter

Nov 28, 2010
    A.A. Co
    I asked a VA State Trooper about carrying in a vehicle thru the state and was surprised when he told me that even if the firearm is in the open (visibly on a seat) in the car it is still considered concealed.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I asked a VA State Trooper about carrying in a vehicle thru the state and was surprised when he told me that even if the firearm is in the open (visibly on a seat) in the car it is still considered concealed.

Here in NC, it is recommended that I leave mine on the front seat if open carrying. They also say the dash, but I am not about to sit at a traffic light with a gun up on the dash.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Wow. You'd figure a VSP guy to know the VA laws about firearms and vehicle carry. As VA Fish stated, he is wrong. I don't get advice on firearms laws from 2 places

1, Gun shops
    2. LEO's (no offense to those who do know.)

As Fish also stated, you can open carry in your vehicle and also keep a loaded firearm in your console or glove box. Neither is illegal, regardless of the incorrect information you got.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Here in NC, it is recommended that I leave mine on the front seat if open carrying.

that seems pretty dumb. one it can go flying upon a sudden stop or accident. and two, if you have windows down, easy for some walker-by to grab it. and three, the more times you move it to/from your holster (ie the more you handle it) the greater likelihood of AD/ND.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Yes with a VA non resident permit.
    So it's legal to carry as long as it's in the open,or in a container/glove box.
    But not concealed on your body?
    The confusing part for me was looking at VA gun laws it mentions nothing of transport "if" haveing a CCW permit.
    Thanks

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you have a VA NR permit-it's exactly the same as a resident permit. You can conceal it when carrying in your car.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Thanks.
    Going to Richmond for next few days to watch the race along with exsercize my 2A rights.
    Well that and hotel protection while there:)

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Definetly could not carry at the track.
    My main resaon for ccw while there was mostly being in or around the Hotel we were staying at.
    Not having ever been there before,not really sure what the surrounding area may be made up of.
    We ended up staying in Ashland, and must say it was a very nice area after all.
    Plus the Race was great:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom