• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was going to do it earlier, but I only recently have gotten enough time to pronounce my new 1911 as "fit for HD". Whatever else I may complain about with the CZ-82, it's a gun I'd trust my life to.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Well considering the CZ83 is already on the list, adding the CZ82 shouldn't be a problem. They're the same damned gun.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had ordered a C&R CZ82 from AIM about a week ago without realizing that they had changed their ad to read "not for sale in MD". I checked my cc account and sure enough it had not been charged. Two days ago I got a shipping confirmation from AIM, I confirmed that my credit card had been charged and I just now took delivery of a 1990 CZ-82 in excellent condition from the UPS man. Included was a cleaning rod, a lanyard, a brand new after-market holster and... get this... a gun lock! Either they got clarification from someone in MD or someone goofed. Either way, I've got another C&R purchase to add to my small collection and another gun lock to throw on the pile.

CraZ4GunZ

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    Coincidentally, I called them a couple days ago about this also...notice that they say "Dealer Sales Only". From what I was told, an 01 FFL from here brought the MD Handgun roster issue up and I guess they put the restriction up as a CYA - but there is no prohibition from IMPORTING and owning this gun in this state (as an 03 FFL) AFAIK. I too recently ordered one with no prob.

Yea! - my 100th post!

Last edited:

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Coincidentally, I called them a couple days ago about this also...notice that they say "Dealer Sales Only". From what I was told, an 01 FFL from here brought the MD Handgun roster issue up and I guess they put the restriction up as a CYA - but there is no prohibition from IMPORTING and owning this gun in this state (as an 03 FFL) AFAIK. I too recently ordered one with no prob.

Yea! - my 100th post!

So a dealer in MD brought the issue up to AIM? I would like to know who it was so I can add them to my do not do business with file.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Coincidentally, I called them a couple days ago about this also...notice that they say "Dealer Sales Only". From what I was told, an 01 FFL from here brought the MD Handgun roster issue up

Nice, I guess it's one of those dealers who tell customers they either can't use a C&R in Maryland to buy handguns in Md. or Md. doesn't recognize C&R period. I too, would love to know who this was.

CraZ4GunZ

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    So a dealer in MD brought the issue up to AIM? I would like to know who it was so I can add them to my do not do business with file.

Whoaaa -- I'd do the same if I was a dealer. One transfer is not worth losing your license.
    Blame the politicians like Frosh, not the dealers for making this state so backwards in 2a issues.

Triggerscan

Shooting Ventures, LLC
    Feb 11, 2010
    Monrovia, MD
    Uninformed Customer Anger is the problem

Here's what the Maryland State Police website states about the "1985" rule:

"In Maryland, it is illegal to sell or offer for sale a handgun manufactured after January 1, 1985, that is not on the Handgun Roster."
    There is nothing in that language that states one cannot purchase these items, nor does it prohibit inter-state sales of said items. Is there anything different in the actual letter-of-the-law from what's written here?

This happens all too often and is one of my sore points :mad54:. The law doesn't prevent a dealer from shipping a non-C&R handgun to a MD dealer. It DOES prevent a dealer from doing the transfer if it's not on the roster. In talking to one online stores, they ship, the dealer won't transfer, so the customer (who didn't check to make sure it was on the roster in the first place) complains and the store backs down and eats the return postage. Result - a change in company policy that they won't ship to MD if it's not on the list. I get handguns periodically that are NOT on the list and work the customer to petition the Board. For new models, the Board even requires me to send them the handgun for testing by their lab. The lab report becomes part of the petition. I have had luck (only on one occassion) of talking to store management (who actually listened). Most (AIM, Cheaper-Than-Dirt, etc) will just tell you its company policy or were told by their lawyers not to sell to MD. It has nothing to do with MD law as written, just their ignorance of it.

Like most others have said, just give your money to someone more reasonable.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    An FFL01 telling AIM they cannot transfer a handgun not on the list is one thing. Them telling AIM it applies to C&R transfers is another. If you don't think any dealers would do this, search for the posts of dealers who have told members that Maryland does not honor C&R, period.

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Someone at Continental once told me MD doesn't honor C&R's....rifles, handguns, anything. Being new I believed them until I came on here.

They also had a fairly overpriced Mosin on one of their racks.....hmmm.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Whoaaa -- I'd do the same if I was a dealer. One transfer is not worth losing your license.
    Blame the politicians like Frosh, not the dealers for making this state so backwards in 2a issues.

A local 01 dealer has nothing to do with an 03 collector making an internet purchase from a distributor. While Frosh and the rest of the boneheads in the Maryland GA deserve their fair share of scorn, a dealer that makes it harder for a licensed collector to purchase a C & R arm deserves their share as well. There are some dealers that feel the average guy should not possess a C & R and make purchases interstate.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Dave.B said:
    A local 01 dealer has nothing to do with an 03 collector making an internet purchase from a distributor. While Frosh and the rest of the boneheads in the Maryland GA deserve their fair share of scorn, a dealer that makes it harder for a licensed collector to purchase a C & R arm deserves their share as well. There are some dealers that feel the average guy should not possess a C & R and make purchases interstate.

Word.

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    My understanding is that if the hangun is manufactured before 1985, you can legally purchase it from a dealer via MD FFL even if it's not on the handgun roster. I checked on this with J&G about a month ago and they will sell you a VZ-82 with a pre-1985 date (if they have one) via a MD FFL. You don't need a C&R license to make this purchase.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Maryland doesn't honor C&Rs. But that's intrastate; I can't use my C&R to buy a C&R pistol from a MD dealer.

But if they're outside MD, it's no problem. It's a Federal license; MD can't do squat about my using it to buy something from outside the state.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Bob A said:
    Maryland doesn't honor C&Rs. But that's intrastate; I can't use my C&R to buy a C&R pistol from a MD dealer.

But if they're outside MD, it's no problem. It's a Federal license; MD can't do squat about my using it to buy something from outside the state.

AIM is just doing CYA now. Mine came in from them two years ago no problem and it's a 1990 model.

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    AIM clarified when I asked recently: MD law states that any pistol made after 1985 must appear on the approved handgun list. The CZ82 does not, and we do not have any made before 1985.

A dealer may have raised this issue, but since other dealers are saying similar things, I suspect MD contacted them (this has been done before as mentioned in earlier posts). Everything I could find on MDSP web sites is vaguely written about this. I can see a distributor taking an official web site posting literally, I don't expect them to research every statue in every state for wording and exceptions, especially if contacted by an official agency.

This is an example of with a C&R if you snooze you lose. On the other hand sometimes more come on the market after the original group and the pricing gets better.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    AIM clarified when I asked recently: MD law states that any in-state transfer of a pistol made after 1985 must appear on the approved handgun list. The CZ82 does not, and we do not have any made before 1985.
    Fixed that. AIM is wrong. It is 100% legal for an FFL to import into Maryland a post-1985 pistol not on the roster. It is 100% illegal to transfer within Maryland a post-1985 pistol not on the roster. That difference is how shops have pistols before they are on the approved list. And how C&R licensees get pistols not on the list.

Everything I could find on MDSP web sites is vaguely written about this. I can see a distributor taking an official web site posting literally, I don't expect them to research every statue in every state for wording and exceptions, especially if contacted by an official agency.

The MDSP website may be "official", but it is not the law. The only place AIM's lawyer should be looking is the COMAR.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It would have to go through either an FFL Dealer, or be transfered at a State Police Barracks, just like any other handgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom