• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knuckles

Feb 28, 2012
    Ceciltucky, MD
    Howdy y'all!

Long time lurker here, 1st time poster.

Anywho... finally decided I need an AR & for many reasons, I have decided on the S&W M&P Sport AR-15.

I travel past the Cabelas in Hamburg PA about once a month & they stock it for $700

I've been an Elkton, MD Resident for 10yrs & have gone thru the 7 - 10 - sometimes 14 day wait period BS for the handguns iv'e acquired, but my shotgun, 10/22, & Henry lever-action have all been brought home that day thru instant background checks done at the point-of-sale.

My question is, does an instant background check satisfy MD requirements for the S&W M&P Sport AR-15, or do I have to jump thru all the hoops I have done for all of my other out-of-state handgun purchases?

I didn't see it on the 'Regulated' list but wonder if since it is similar to some on there, applies anyhow.

Thanks in advance.

Knuckles

Feb 28, 2012
    Ceciltucky, MD
    K.

Guess I was just wondering if I would be able to walk out the door with it the day I walked in & bought it...

But, as per the goofy MD regulations, i'm getting that "maybe"/"maybe not" .... may be the official answer.

why am I not surprised :crazy:

thanx anyhow

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    I think the letter of the law is such that an hbar is (the only version that is) unregulated. The problem is that most MD dealers have a cya policy because MDSP may get their panties in a wad for not understanding the difference. IANAL, YMMV

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    You're going to have to wait.

Not a big deal, just buy it fill the paperwork out, come back in a week.

You could go the 308 route, and not have to wait.

Sep 6, 2011
    Garrett County, MD
    From my experience, only the Colt HBAR is listed as okay for insta-check. I believe that is the way it is actually written "Colt HBAR". The S&W M&P 15-22 is insta-check as well. I bought one of those in WV not long ago and walked out with it. Anything else in an AR platform is regulated. The Armalite AR-10 (.308) fixed stock may be insta-check, not sure, but I would bet that anything with an adjustable stock would be regulated.

That being said, I have had a few shops tell me they could insta-check anything that has the original sized (Vietnam era) fixed stock (not the fixed adjustable-look-a-likes), and a 20" heavy contor barrel. I guess the M4 pattern barrel is what gets them in an uproar.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    From my experience, only the Colt HBAR is listed as okay for insta-check. I believe that is the way it is actually written "Colt HBAR". The S&W M&P 15-22 is insta-check as well. I bought one of those in WV not long ago and walked out with it. Anything else in an AR platform is regulated. The Armalite AR-10 (.308) fixed stock may be insta-check, not sure, but I would bet that anything with an adjustable stock would be regulated.

An HBAR is an HBAR. It doesn't need to be Colt.

AR-15 rifles are regulated. Not all AR rifles are regulated. A good example is a 9mm AR with an integral magwell.

AR-10 rifles and copies are not regulated. They are not on the regulated list. The stock can be fixed or adjustable; it doesn't matter.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    There are IP's here that sell the sport as cash and carry

And most will not.

If it is not marked hbar, which the SW is not, then most places will not.

Are there places that will? Of course, everyone does things differently.

I would plan on waiting the 7 days, if you don't have to, then gtg.

Sep 6, 2011
    Garrett County, MD
    An HBAR is an HBAR. It doesn't need to be Colt.

AR-15 rifles are regulated. Not all AR rifles are regulated. A good example is a 9mm AR with an integral magwell.

AR-10 rifles and copies are not regulated. They are not on the regulated list. The stock can be fixed or adjustable; it doesn't matter.

I don't disagree with anyone on anything in this topic, I was just pointing to the way it was written up. From experience, the shops in my red-neck of the woods are so afraid of stepping in a pile of poo-hockey that they treat almost everything as regulated anymore.

It really sucks that I can see WV from my front porch, where a guy can walk in, pay his $, and walk out with (almost) anything he wants, and here we have to beg for permission and pray the NOT part of the stamp isn't out of ink.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As a practical matter , you need to work backwards. Inquire at your local dealers and or our IPs , to ask "what do you have in stock non-regulated? " .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom