• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I Have a Bushmaster AR.
    Has the carry handle iron sights that I since removed then mounted a red dot sight in it's place.
    Now I want to mount a Nikon M223 scope.
    Problem is I don't want the fixed front sight in the scopes veiw.
    Prefer not to raise the scope so front sight is not in the picture.

Whats involved in replaceing the front sight post.
    Can it be replaced with a flip up type front sight?
    Are there other options other then grinding off the front sight?
    I understand this sight is also needed to connect the gas tube. Just not sure what my options are.:)

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    im sure you could redneck it and grind it off...the right way to do it is punch out the pins and install a flat top front gas block. you have to get the right one for that particular set up though...

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    If you have a fixed carry handle stop wasting your time. Your cheek weld will suck! Get a flat top and change over your barrel or get another complete upper.

Front sight will be a ghost, ie: a none issue. Try it.

My 2¢

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have a Nikon M223 on my Colt HBAR the front sight will not be a issue . Mount it and go make holes in things :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      79.9 KB · Views: 250

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I doubt you will see the front sight post. If you get the 1-4x M223 you may see it slightly but it most likely won't be an issue.

I Have a Bushmaster AR.
    Has the carry handle iron sights that I since removed then mounted a red dot sight in it's place.
    Now I want to mount a Nikon M223 scope.
    Problem is I don't want the fixed front sight in the scopes veiw.
    Prefer not to raise the scope so front sight is not in the picture.
    You need to use high rings so that you will have the proper check weld. An AR has zero drop at the comb. Once you raise it up, the part of the sight that's in line with the scope will not be visible, or just a blur at most.

LEAD2SPREAD

Apr 20, 2011
    Middle River
    You can get a fold down gas block sight or a low profile gas block if its not a pre ban rifle, My buddy has a fold down gas block sight by ARMS it a nice sight, but it is on a flat top ar

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Rifle has the removable carry handle so scope mounting is not a problem.
    From the feedback seems I should just mount the scope then decide whether
    the front sight will be bothersom. Appears it won't be the problem I feared.
    I did locate on line, gas blocks. Now that I know what their called:)

Thinking I'll buy a rear and front flip up sights as a pair once funds build back up

Kais

Mar 20, 2011
    Halethorpe
    Most likely won't be a major issue, but as you've discovered there are ways to replace it with new gas blocks with and without a front site. I'd like to mention with a 4x ACOG there is a slight dark blur where the front site would be but it's hardly noticeable.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Do not get a replacement gas block. Aftermarket ones are usually clamp on, or set ecrew models. Both are not durable on guns that may see serious use. When barrels heat up and loosens screws, or something contacts the Gas Block it will turn the gun into a single shot. The factory Gas Block/FSB is cross pinned and is as rugged and reliable as they get.

The proper way is to cut the Front Tower off leaving the lower gas block. You can also install a longer FF Rail to cover the gas block. I recomend YHM rails for this.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Chad thanks.
    So cut off stock front sight. Then add aftermarket front sight to take it's place?
    Adding a flip up rear sight is no problem since it already has the flat top rail.

The end goal is to if needed or wanted. Be able to go back to open sights, but I understand the stock carry handle sight won't work with mod'ed front sight.
    Thanks all for the input:)

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    The proper way is to cut the Front Tower off leaving the lower gas block. You can also install a longer FF Rail to cover the gas block. I recomend YHM rails for this.

There is a very good youtube video walking through this process. Sorry I don't have the link, but should turn up in a search. I was considering this a while back on one of my ARs as I didn't like the post in my EOTech sight picture.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I agree with Chad. I just did one for the kid that works at the shop. He got his hands on a never used Bushmaster HBAR bbl with nothing but the front sight, gas tube, and barrel extension on it. He wants to build it into a DMR, and I figured it would be a good chance for him to learn. So we knocked the front sight off, and I showed him how to cut it off, then flatten and round it. He used my Varminter as a model. It isn't hard. cut it off, then grind to contour. In his case, I'm gonna plug it all up, then parkerize it again.

Don't be afraid to try.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Not to dig up an old post but.
    I finally mounted up my new Nikon M223 scope. Also used the free mount it came with as part of the promotional deal they had. Quality mount and scope.

Now when looking thru the scope on low power. If you look for it. You'll faintlly see the front sight post. Otherwise a non issue.

On the higher power you can't see any of the post.
    So do those wondering about useing this scope but at the same time seeing the front sight post in the picture.
    Forget about it. It's a non issue and a good option if you want to switch from open sights to scope.

Mounting the scope was straight forward. Lay a level on the rail. Next level on the scope. Aligned it to have the recommended 4" of eye relief that puts mount at the very front of the flat top rail.

So far I'm very happy with my choice. Everything I've read and seen sugest this a very good option for the AR platform useing the 55 grain bullet.
    Thanks to all that help with their input.

Now I just need to find range time to sight this baby in.:)

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Not to dig up an old post but.
    I finally mounted up my new Nikon M223 scope. Also used the free mount it came with as part of the promotional deal they had. Quality mount and scope.

Now when looking thru the scope on low power. If you look for it. You'll faintlly see the front sight post. Otherwise a non issue.

On the higher power you can't see any of the post.
    So do those wondering about useing this scope but at the same time seeing the front sight post in the picture.
    Forget about it. It's a non issue and a good option if you want to switch from open sights to scope.

Mounting the scope was straight forward. Lay a level on the rail. Next level on the scope. Aligned it to have the recommended 4" of eye relief that puts mount at the very front of the flat top rail.

So far I'm very happy with my choice. Everything I've read and seen sugest this a very good option for the AR platform useing the 55 grain bullet.
    Thanks to all that help with their input.

Now I just need to find range time to sight this baby in.:)

:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom