• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    I was wondering if I could purchase a pistol that is NOT on the MSP list - like the Vektor V53 pistol but get it turned into an SBR.

Have it shipped to an FFL here, have the FFL SBR it and then I could do the purchase as an SBR and not a pistol.

Basically wondering if an FFL can take the transfer of a pistol not on the MSP list?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I believe they can. I think this is essentialy what midcountygunshop was going to do with the Draco AK pistols.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    FYI pilotguy, if you've never dealt with midcounty, I have and would vouch for him. Very friendly guy and real easy to work with.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Midcounty is good people! I send AK Build work, and all Kinds of C2/C3 to him whenever I get the chance.

He builds some neat stuff, and Im a perfectionist so I dont compliment other work without cause. Buy with confidence.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    I'm just looking for my next one right now and I have to wait for my Colt SBR first. It's a matter of money!

I have been working in Kansas City and Dallas, and get to see a few gun shows and have seen some nice pistols there.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I was wondering if I could purchase a pistol that is NOT on the MSP list - like the Vektor V53 pistol but get it turned into an SBR.

Have it shipped to an FFL here, have the FFL SBR it and then I could do the purchase as an SBR and not a pistol.

Basically wondering if an FFL can take the transfer of a pistol not on the MSP list?

Yes, but they must be an FFL07. They can also turn it into an AOW and the transfer cost is only $5 instead of the $200 for a SBR. (although I am not sure if there is anything that would bolt to the front of a V53 to accomplish that.)

Mark

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Yes, but they must be an FFL07. They can also turn it into an AOW and the transfer cost is only $5 instead of the $200 for a SBR. (although I am not sure if there is anything that would bolt to the front of a V53 to accomplish that.)

Mark

Wait - so you can get around the MD Handgun Roster by AOW'ing the pistol in question just by having an FFL add a vertical foregrip, paying $5 to the ATF, and waiting a long-ass time? Does this also get around the banned "assault pistols"? Like, I could get a skorpion by AOW'ing it with a vertical foregrip?

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    MSP states that if it is on the approved handgun roster it is legal for sale, as they interpret the roster to supersede the banned assault pistols list.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Wait - so you can get around the MD Handgun Roster by AOW'ing the pistol in question just by having an FFL add a vertical foregrip, paying $5 to the ATF, and waiting a long-ass time? Does this also get around the banned "assault pistols"? Like, I could get a skorpion by AOW'ing it with a vertical foregrip?

To answer your question directly. YES. Although, it would be a real gray area based on how the law is written. I would feel more comfortable SBR'ing it to make it a "short barreled rifle" and that way no one could claim it was even remotely a pistol.

4-301 states, and this is where is gets tricky,

§ 4-301. "Assault pistol" defined.

In this subtitle, "assault pistol" means any of the following firearms or a copy regardless of the producer or manufacturer:

At what point does the assault pistol no longer remain that "firearm" or a copy of? A short barreled rifle is not a pistol, but it certainly is made from one of those firearms. Take an UZI carbine for instance... the only difference is barrel length and a folding stock over the "banned" uzi assault pistol. If that small cosmetic change is enough to make it legal, then certainly an AOW or SBR should also be legal. However, I would expect to get flak over it by overzealous LEO's.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom