• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    With a lot of people getting into building AR's, especially right now, I thought I would start a discussion for "budget but not junk" AR builds.

What can you put together that would blow away my list below for $850 or less? Not including tax, shipping or background check fees.

I think I did pretty good, but feel free to flame me for my parts list.

Parts list and links:

- BYOL - Any decent mil spec lower - in my case I found a Spikes for $97.

- Ballistic Advantage 16 inch mid gas HBAR - $165 - headspaced with go/no-go gauges with BA BCG's.

- Aero Precision Atlas S-One handguard - $150

- BA .750 low pro gas block, pinned and set screw by BA - $30

- BA mid length nitride gas tube - $15

- Aero Precision Assembled Upper - $100

- BA Nitride BCG - $130

- Standard A2 flash hider and 7075 Aluminum Charging Handle - $22

- Palmetto State Armory MOE Lower Build Kit (LPK, MOE stock and grip, buffer tube assembly, mil spec trigger) - $125

All in for bare rifle - $834 (not including tax or shipping).

I know PSA gets a bad wrap, but I had zero issues with the 4 LPKs or buffer tubes I recently used for friends. I called PSA and confirmed that these ship with 7075 T6 aluminum buffer tubes, not the cheaper stuff they have sold in the past. All 4 triggers actually feel very nice, less gritty than the ALG QMS I just bought for myself, sadly.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit/

I just ordered one of these. Seem impossible to beat coming in just over $850 with the stripped lower.

No heavy barrel option for this kit, at least that I can see. If building an SBR or pistol, this is a great option.

If we lived outside of MD, I think it would be much easier to beat my list.

Parts availability right now also played a part. I wanted BCM blem uppers but I just wasn't able to catch them in stock. Would have shaved off a few dollars.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You can find an assembled IWI Zion-15 for about $850 these days. Not sure I'd bother trying to build a budget AR with that option around.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You can find an assembled IWI Zion-15 for about $850 these days. Not sure I'd bother trying to build a budget AR with that option around.

That is indeed a great option. Pretty much checks all the boxes especially for the price.

In stock currently on PSA for $899.

Is there a MD compliant HBAR version of this though?

That seems like a great rifle, for someone not in MD.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Is there a MD compliant HBAR version of this though?

That seems like a great rifle, for someone not in MD.

The IWI Zion 15 is MD compliant.

The barrel is listed in most places as "4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium HB", HB for Heavy Barrel. Other listings are more explicit in describing it as heavy. The barrel is indeed a heavy profile.

I am confident you would be good to go, the questions being will PSA or another online retailer send one to your FFL, or can your FFL find one to order for you.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    The IWI Zion 15 is MD compliant.

The barrel is listed in most places as "4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium HB", HB for Heavy Barrel. Other listings are more explicit in describing it as heavy. The barrel is indeed a heavy profile.

I am confident you would be good to go, the questions being will PSA or another online retailer send one to your FFL, or can your FFL find one to order for you.

HB, is that right?

MSDP seems to think its BANNED as of 8/12: https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

IWI model Zion-15 BANNED Copy of an enumerated banned weapon. 8/12/2020

Of course, they also got it wrong on the other IWI products quite a few times, cough cough, and had to correct themselves, cough cough, so there is that. Maybe they dont like Israeli guns. This is one area where i totally support defunding the police.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The MSP list is frequently wrong, and given that the gun is advertised from the factory as having a heavy barrel... send the MSP an email and ask why it's banned if it has an HB. Or just ignore them.

Hell, you could even ask IWI to spell it out on the website, they're a cool crowd and have been receptive to me before.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am, ahem, familiar with IWI excellent customer service and the MDSP repeated failures on their website, particularity with IWI products.

It takes the MDSP about 2 years to correct their mistakes.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Palmetto State Armory MOE Lower Build Kit (LPK, MOE stock and grip, buffer tube assembly, mil spec trigger) - $125

All in for bare rifle - $834 (not including tax or shipping).

I know PSA gets a bad wrap, but I had zero issues with the 4 LPKs or buffer tubes I recently used for friends. I called PSA and confirmed that these ship with 7075 T6 aluminum buffer tubes, not the cheaper stuff they have sold in the past. All 4 triggers actually feel very nice, less gritty than the ALG QMS I just bought for myself, sadly.

Just to be clear, PSA doesn't advertise it's LPK, including the trigger, as mil spec.

I run this parts kit and had rust issues with the receiver end plate. No harsh use. It runs fine but for the money you can do better.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Been a while since I built an AR...but I used a Spikes enhanced lpk and like it and the trigger that came with it.

Greg9781

Sep 25, 2020
    Hanover Armory

I just picked up a complete AR for $840.

Plus irons and foregrip.

Anyone else have experience with them? Seems like a pretty well built rifle minus the charging handle.

Full disclosure - my first AR so I dont have much to compare it to other than it was very similar to an LWRC I was checking out for $600 more

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Just to be clear, PSA doesn't advertise it's LPK, including the trigger, as mil spec.

I run this parts kit and had rust issues with the receiver end plate. No harsh use. It runs fine but for the money you can do better.

Interesting observation.

The end plates on the 4 I recently ordered, along with the castle nut appear to be nitride finished, although I could be wrong.

There were some minor variations in the kits, mainly in that 2 of the buffer tubes had the anti rotation tab for retainer pin, whereas 2 did not. Didn't matter in the end and so far I am happy with them.

PSA def is a mixed bag, especially right now. I originally ordered 3 "premium BCG's" but sent them all back. 2 looked fine but the 3rd one pretty obviously missed a step or two in the manufacturing process and definitely slipped through QC. The BA Nitride BCG's I ordered as replacements all look great, headspaced properly, staked well and passed the reverse torque test without issue.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Interesting observation.

The end plates on the 4 I recently ordered, along with the castle nut appear to be nitride finished, although I could be wrong.

There were some minor variations in the kits, mainly in that 2 of the buffer tubes had the anti rotation tab for retainer pin, whereas 2 did not. Didn't matter in the end and so far I am happy with them.

PSA def is a mixed bag, especially right now. I originally ordered 3 "premium BCG's" but sent them all back. 2 looked fine but the 3rd one pretty obviously missed a step or two in the manufacturing process and definitely slipped through QC. The BA Nitride BCG's I ordered as replacements all look great, headspaced properly, staked well and passed the reverse torque test without issue.

The end plate looked fine. Certainly not nitrided. It just rusted pretty quickly. The rest of the parts kit has been fine so far but it's drenched in lube so I doubt rust will appear.

I have an older phosphate PSA premium BCG that passed all SOTAR tests. As you mentioned, QC can be spotty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom