• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    My eyes aint what they used to be.
    Reading is a choir without glasses, but "doable" if I hold the book away.
    Distance is ok. Each eye on it's own is marginal for distance, but somehow together they make a good picture.

All my long guns are scoped.

That brings me to pistols,, just getting back into pistol shooting.

cant focus on the sights.
    My understanding is lasik surgery would correct my vision for distance and I would need reading glasses?

What is the answer,, I am thinking a reflex/ red dot??
    I know there those older than me struggling with this,, whats your answer ??

DeadCenter

May 12, 2018
    You just need longer arms... :P

I am in the same boat.. without glasses, the front sight is blurry... with reading glasses (+1.75), the front sight is crystal clear, but everything beyond the front sight is blurry..

I picked up a RMR Red-Dot and it works just fine for me and my old eyes.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary, and testimonials are not claimed to represent typical results. All testimonials are by real people, and may not reflect the typical purchaser's experience, and are not intended to represent or guarantee that anyone will achieve the same or similar results.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I have done a few things:
    1) learned how to shoot with both eyes open
    2) improved my point shooting skills that don’t require use of sights
    3) added quality red dot sights to a few of my guns (3 MOA having a clear dot-Sig Romeo 1 Pro, to avoid the halo effect that can happen with 6 MOA)
    4) use targets with bright red or orange dots in the center
    5) have fun and embrace my age

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Lasik can be a life changing procedure but as with any medical procedure different people can have very different results. Three individuals I know who had it done: one loved it, one hated it and the third was like 'meh' because it fixed one problem but made another one even worse.

Red dots are a nice thing, I use Aimpoints on my collection.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Depends upon what kind of pistol shooting you’re doing but you could try some shooters bifocals. Basically the lenses are “upside down” so the “reading” lens is at the top. They will allow you to focus on the front sight better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I was going to buy a Walther PPQ SC,,, but that is one gun that you can not easily or effectively install a red dot on,, has to do with not being able to mill the slide.

I want a "factory" reflex ready gun, sub/compact, double stack. So there is:

Walther PPS M2 RMSC,, but they appear to be discontinued and are only single stack.
    Springfield Hellcat, it is a micro compact, really looking for a large sub compact or small compact.
    What else am I missing??

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I recently got a new pair of shooting glasses which have significantly increased my ability to see the front sight. I talked at length with my eye doctor about what I was going to use them for and explained that I needed to be able to see my front sight clearly at fully extended arms length. She worked through it with me in the office to fit the lenses in the frame so that the medium distance vision is basically right in the middle of the lens. The difference is very noticeable as I don’t have to tilt my head way back anymore to get the front sight clear. The top of the lenses still work great shooting rifle with an optic to see far distance.

The only problem that I have is that this isn’t a good solution for iron sighted rifles. Shotguns aren’t a problem because you focus on the target not the sights. I do have to tilt my head down just a bit more than normal to get crystal clear distance vision but it hasn’t really bothered me.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Been having the same issues

Hate glasses, prefer contacts, but several years back, contacts stopped working for focus up close.

Pistols and computer screens are too close, so now, only shotgun with contacts. The focus is far enough out the bead and then beyond. Are fine.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I was going to buy a Walther PPQ SC,,, but that is one gun that you can not easily or effectively install a red dot on,, has to do with not being able to mill the slide.

Walther PPS M2 RMSC,, but they appear to be discontinued and are only single stack.
    Springfield Hellcat, it is a micro compact, really looking for a large sub compact or small compact.
    What else am I missing??

Are you looking for a carry gun? If so, why are you messing with the sights and optics since you’ll never use either in a real gun fight. For self-defense, point shooting is where it is at. Just my two cents as a Wear and Carry instructor.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

What else am I missing??

S&W M&P compact with optic ready slide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I have done a few things:
    1) learned how to shoot with both eyes open
    2) improved my point shooting skills that don’t require use of sights
    3) added quality red dot sights to a few of my guns (3 MOA having a clear dot-Sig Romeo 1 Pro, to avoid the halo effect that can happen with 6 MOA)
    4) use targets with bright red or orange dots in the center
    5) have fun and embrace my age

The above and look to high vis pistol sights. Trijicon, XS Sights, or others. I can't speak to point shooting but for me the high vis sights are an edge. These are defense sights; center mass. And they work. G19 with Trijicon:D

Good luck

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Been having the same issues

Hate glasses, prefer contacts, but several years back, contacts stopped working for focus up close.

Pistols and computer screens are too close, so now, only shotgun with contacts. The focus is far enough out the bead and then beyond. Are fine.

I also went with the shotgun option until I saw the high vis sights. And that got me back into pistol. I think you can get high vis sights for a shotgun also but may need to braze.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I considered Lasiks but decided against after talking to others about it who had the procedure done as well as reading about it. My three reasons were:
    1. one needs glasses for closer seeing anyway;
    2. the eyes can still change;
    3. didn’t want unnecessary surgery.

I have prescription glasses for shooting. I am right eye dominant. My right lense is 26”-28” focal distance. The left lense is a full progressive lense. Yep, the eyes will play games with you once you get in the late 40’ - early 50’s range.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I recently got a new pair of shooting glasses which have significantly increased my ability to see the front sight. I talked at length with my eye doctor about what I was going to use them for and explained that I needed to be able to see my front sight clearly at fully extended arms length. She worked through it with me in the office to fit the lenses in the frame so that the medium distance vision is basically right in the middle of the lens. The difference is very noticeable as I don’t have to tilt my head way back anymore to get the front sight clear. The top of the lenses still work great shooting rifle with an optic to see far distance.

The only problem that I have is that this isn’t a good solution for iron sighted rifles. Shotguns aren’t a problem because you focus on the target not the sights. I do have to tilt my head down just a bit more than normal to get crystal clear distance vision but it hasn’t really bothered me.

If you don't want to talk to the doc about guns you could consider saying you want lenses for working on a desktop computer. The distance is pretty much the same.

I use progressive lenses most of the time but you don't want to tip your head halfway back for 8-10 hours so I ordered a second pair with the focus where a typical screen would be. Turned out they are also perfect for pistol sights.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The above and look to high vis pistol sights. Trijicon, XS Sights, or others. I can't speak to point shooting but for me the high vis sights are an edge. These are defense sights; center mass. And they work. G19 with Trijicon:D

Good luck

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20200711_115820.jpg
      20200711_115820.jpg
      81.2 KB · Views: 291

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member