• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammer42

Jun 18, 2020
    Tried to do a form 1/SBR my H&K SP5. Folding stock put it to 26 inches. I was denied because MD law apparently trumps federal law and requires 29 inches. Guess I will have to use a cheesy brace. I hate my brace for my Kalashnikov USA KP9. I’m not aware of any stocks that put the SP5 OAL over 29 inches. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    Tried to do a form 1/SBR my H&K SP5. Folding stock put it to 26 inches. I was denied because MD law apparently trumps federal law and requires 29 inches. Guess I will have to use a cheesy brace. I hate my brace for my Kalashnikov USA KP9. I’m not aware of any stocks that put the SP5 OAL over 29 inches. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

You should know the law before you submitted your form1. FYI, the 29" law was applied during obama presidency NOT Trump

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    You should know the law before you submitted your form1. FYI, the 29" law was applied during obama presidency NOT Trump

I think he was using "trump" as a word, and not to in the context of our President. :sad20:

Sorry about your luck - It definitely pays to do your research on local laws before you submit such a thing.

Also - if you have a folding stock, your OAL measurement is with it folded, so you are likely even further under 26 inches than you think. You would need to attached a fixed stock that would get you to 29OAL. Folding stocks are essentially a no-go in Maryland.

You might be able to get there with the right stock and a pinned and welded muzzle device.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Personally I feel anyone's first post should be an intro, not a rant or request for help. Just MHO

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia

Welcome to MDS and yes, the 29" rule has been around since 2013. I wanted to bring my SBRs to shoot with friends in Maryland and the ATF denied my form 20 because my SBRs were less than 29". :mad54:
    Go introduce yourself in the introduction section. This is a great place to learn and to engage with like minded people.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Someone really ought to make one of those "PDW style braces", with the telescoping support arms, that extends like a full 12 inches or something and with a stock. You could easily add additional "telescoping" sections to make virtually anything 29 OAL as defined by the ATF.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Someone really ought to make one of those "PDW style braces", with the telescoping support arms, that extends like a full 12 inches or something and with a stock. You could easily add additional "telescoping" sections to make virtually anything 29 OAL as defined by the ATF.

I seem to remember reading about that very thing here.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Also - if you have a folding stock, your OAL measurement is with it folded, so you are likely even further under 26 inches than you think. You would need to attached a fixed stock that would get you to 29OAL. Folding stocks are essentially a no-go in Maryland.

You might be able to get there with the right stock and a pinned and welded muzzle device.

This is incorrect. You measure with stock extended for an SBR. For a BRACE (talking about pistols now), IF the brace folds, you measure with it folded.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Personally I feel anyone's first post should be an intro, not a rant or request for help. Just MHO

Intros don't count towards post count, so even if it was his first post, this post would show up as post #1.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Seems to me you did something incorrectly.

Not sure if this is in response to my post, but I can guarantee I didn't do anything wrong. Prior to 2013, I had all my Form 20s approved to take into MD. I even sent them a copy of the law saying that any Pre FSA 2013 were allowed and they sent me a letter saying I couldn't take the guns in MD as they are now banned in that configuration.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    SBRs are considered handguns under Maryland law and thus the 29" law should not apply to them.

No I will not write a letter since I don't feel like making them take a look at other things they conveniently forget about.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    SBRs are both handguns and rifles for the purposes of MD law (depends on the statute). Google this and the MDSP (2014?) advisory on it for more.

There are ways to get to the 29". In fact there is a really long thread on this! Use the not-so-secret search button.

As for PDF "braces" for MP5 clones, they make them. :innocent0 There is a double secret ATF internal rule (uncovered from one of the many trials, google it) that a "brace" must be 10" or less. Nobody is going to make a special extra long stock just for a handful of merry-landers who want to SBR their MP5 clone. You gotta DIY. See above.

I still dont understand why people want to SBR their pistols in this state. They are both handguns and rifles under various statutes, literally the worst of both worlds. Get a brace.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Permanently attach a suppressor. Why would anyone shoot an SP5 without a suppressor?

Hammer42

Jun 18, 2020
    I appreciate the replies and suggestions for the helpful answers.

I apologize for my lack of forum etiquette Docster, I’d expect from an Air Force *****. Combloc, your dog is looks like a ***** as well lmao.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom