• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    So if you find a firearm on line (say, Gunbroker or similar) and you’d like to buy it, I know you have to work it thru a local FFL. This may sound stupid, but if it’s a handgun with magazines larger than 10 rounds, I assume we are NOT permitted by our wonderful state to buy it? We can only buy firearms with 10rd mags or less?

Sometimes you find a really good deal... is there a legal way to buy the gun? Will sellers swap to lower capacity magazines or disassemble the magazines before shipping? Would the FFL swap the magazines? Is there no way to buy a gun that happens to have a larger capacity on line?

Note: I’m not asking to do something illegal or get around the law. If the law says only 10or less, fine. Just wondering how I could still buy the gun. Sometimes the deal is that good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You can buy the gun, but cannot have the magazines over ten rounds enter Maryland with it

10+ handgun magazines MAY enter MD, but may not be transfered by the FFL to civilians in MD.

Specific questions need specific answers.

10+ magazines may be transfered to LEO's with authorization from their department, to other FFL's and to out of state buyers.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    An FFL can refuse to accept guns with 10+ mags or may destroy the mags or sell them thru one of the legal options. Many choose to refuse to avoid dealing with the legal follow up, their choice.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Call around there are many good FFLs that will pin or modify the magazines for an extra fee. The other thing I did not see mentioned was to make sure the firearm is in the MD Handgun Roster. If it’s not the dealer will need to submit the gun to the board for review and acceptance before they can transfer it.

cdub702

May 13, 2017
    Mr Rodgers Neighborhood
    Buds gun shop will not ship mags with over 10 capacity to MD at all. But they will gladly remove them from shipment free of charge with absolutely no exchanges offered for MD legal ones.So you're in luck

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Path of least resistance is to track down a ten round magazine version of that gun. Most manufacturers already have two SKU's for each - standard capacity, and ten round. Find that part number and start searching. You might not get a great price, but you'll get magazines.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Path of even lesser resistance is to get a C&R. Guns shipped to your door.

If a pistol with a >10 round mag is the goal, you can use your C&R license to buy a firearm in a free state, and bring it into MD yourself. (Obviously, you'd be buying the gun face-to-face, outside MD.)

There's always the option of joining MSI, volunteering to work a gun show in PA or VA - you get in free - and buy your standard capacity mags there, for your non-C&R guns.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Path of even lesser resistance is to get a C&R. Guns shipped to your door.

If a pistol with a >10 round mag is the goal, you can use your C&R license to buy a firearm in a free state, and bring it into MD yourself. (Obviously, you'd be buying the gun face-to-face, outside MD.)

There's always the option of joining MSI, volunteering to work a gun show in PA or VA - you get in free - and buy your standard capacity mags there, for your non-C&R guns.

Correct me if I am wrong, but a C&R does not allow you to purchase a "pistol" out of state, unless it is a C&R. That excludes over 99% of "pistols" ever produced with a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Correct me if I am wrong, but a C&R does not allow you to purchase a "pistol" out of state, unless it is a C&R. That excludes over 99% of "pistols" ever produced with a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds.

Of course, C&R eligible.

Browning HP, the Savage that was discussed in another thread, CZ82 for a few examples. I imagine there are a few others. Pretty much any pistol made before 1970 is good to go.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Of course, C&R eligible.

Browning HP, the Savage that was discussed in another thread, CZ82 for a few examples. I imagine there are a few others. Pretty much any pistol made before 1970 is good to go.

TY, did not know this.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some sellers will remove the mags and ship to another address.

Some will not.

Ask the seller.

As has been mentioned, some (the GOOD ones) FFLs will pin the mags to 10 for a fee.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia

Some will not.

Ask the seller.

As has been mentioned, some (the GOOD ones) FFLs will pin the mags to 10 for a fee.

This. Some sellers will have the magazine information in their about us/how to contact us if you win the auction/sale. Others will not have this information, and will need to be contacted by email or phone. Most of the sellers I have dealt with will remove the mag and ship only the firearm (provided it is legal in your state) to your FFL. Your local FFL may have issues, so talk with them before you ship it to them and find out about their fees and processes.

Q

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC

Some will not.

Ask the seller.

Also remember, buying those magazines and having them shipped outside of Maryland would still be quite illegal if you're in MD when you buy them. Even arranging for the sale from within MD would probably be prohibited (that's been discussed quite a bit). My armchair lawyer advice? Don't do it.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Also remember, buying those magazines and having them shipped outside of Maryland would still be quite illegal if you're in MD when you buy them. Even arranging for the sale from within MD would probably be prohibited (that's been discussed quite a bit). My armchair lawyer advice? Don't do it.

This is incorrect. A Maryland resident may purchase a 10+ magazine while sitting in front of a computer in Maryland and have it shipped to an address outside the State of Maryland. The law prohibits a transfer within the State. You cannot have a 10+ magazine shipped to you in Maryland, whether it comes with a pistol or otherwise.

Some dealers will ship magazines separately to an address out of state. Some will not.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    This is incorrect. A Maryland resident may purchase a 10+ magazine while sitting in front of a computer in Maryland and have it shipped to an address outside the State of Maryland. The law prohibits a transfer within the State. You cannot have a 10+ magazine shipped to you in Maryland, whether it comes with a pistol or otherwise.

Some dealers will ship magazines separately to an address out of state. Some will not.

I'm pretty sure doing the purchasing while you're in Maryland is prohibited. I'm not a lawyer, though, so I'm glad to be corrected. The way the law reads is:

A. Except as provided in §B of this regulation, a person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than ten rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

B. This section does not apply to:

(1) A .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine;

(2) A law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a law enforcement agency in the State; or

(3) An exemption listed in Regulation .02D of this chapter.

... which seems to clearly ban the act of buying the magazine no matter where it, the seller, and the eventual transfer are located.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I'm pretty sure doing the purchasing while you're in Maryland is prohibited. I'm not a lawyer, though, so I'm glad to be corrected. The way the law reads is:

A. Except as provided in §B of this regulation, a person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than ten rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

B. This section does not apply to:

(1) A .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine;

(2) A law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a law enforcement agency in the State; or

(3) An exemption listed in Regulation .02D of this chapter.

... which seems to clearly ban the act of buying the magazine no matter where it, the seller, and the eventual transfer are located.

The law is confined to activities that are completed within the state. I most certainly can order 10+ magazines as a present for my brother in NC and have them shipped to him in NC. The intent of the law was to prohibit sales and transfers from occurring within the State's border.

No one is coming after anyone for placing an internet order for 10+ magazines in Maryland when the magazines are shipped to an address outside the state. No one is coming after anyone for buying a CZ82 and asking the seller to ship the magazines to an address outside the state.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    The law is confined to activities that are completed within the state. I most certainly can order 10+ magazines as a present for my brother in NC and have them shipped to him in NC. The intent of the law was to prohibit sales and transfers from occurring within the State's border.

No one is coming after anyone for placing an internet order for 10+ magazines in Maryland when the magazines are shipped to an address outside the state. No one is coming after anyone for buying a CZ82 and asking the seller to ship the magazines to an address outside the state.

I'm sure you're right about the second part, and I hope you are about the first part too - I'm just very hesitant about the possibility of becoming a SAF test case. I've got a bad case of BGOS, I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom