A few questions about MD’s infinitely confusing and misleading firearms laws....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cms81586

Feb 8, 2018
    Hello all. Just joined and I’ll be moving to MD shortly. Have a few questions about what hardware I can bring along.

From what I’ve read my SBR and suppressors won’t be an issue. However, I have a Colt 6920 and 6720 that I’ve purchased since 2013. Main question is...

Being military on PCS orders, do I technically establish residency? If not, am I required to register.

Next...regardless of whether I have to register ...my two post 2013 rifles are not kosher. Can I leave the uppers in PA with my father in law and bring the complete lowers to build cheap HBAR uppers on at a later date?

Any issues with a 7.62 LMT MWS with either a brake or flash hider?

Appreciate the help. Going to rent for 12 months and then purchase a chunk of land and a house in the WV/VA area, but want to get to know the area and confirm commute times. I’ll be in the Meade/BWI area.

Thanks!

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    The Colts? No. Only regulated long guns bought in MD prior to 2013 were registered (77r).

There is voluntary registration offered by MSP, but why in Gods name anyone would do that is beyond me.

cms81586

Feb 8, 2018
    I don’t plan on registering anything unless it’s required by law. Unfortunately I’ve lived on enough military installations that the .gov has a comprehensive list of everything I own, and many I no longer own...

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Hello all. Just joined and I’ll be moving to MD shortly. Have a few questions about what hardware I can bring along.

From what I’ve read my SBR and suppressors won’t be an issue. However, I have a Colt 6920 and 6720 that I’ve purchased since 2013. Main question is...

Thanks!

Hold on just a quick second. Do you know about the >29 inches law when it comes to SBRs? Just because you have a SBR, I'm not sure you can bring it into the state if it doesn't meet the greater than 29 inches law.

cms81586

Feb 8, 2018
    Hold on just a quick second. Do you know about the >29 inches law when it comes to SBRs? Just because you have a SBR, I'm not sure you can bring it into the state if it doesn't meet the greater than 29 inches law.

Yes I am aware. Luckily it’s 29.5”...and annotated as such on the Form 1.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Leave your uppers out of state, bring the lowers, no need to register them. Any handguns would need to be registered within 90 days.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OK, active duty military on PCS orders you do NOT have to establish residency. And why would you want to do so? And pay MD taxes? Most AD military establish residency in a state without state income tax, and keep that their entire career.

Post 2013 non-HBAR ARs (or any other firearm on the banned list) may NOT be brought into the state. SBRs shorter than 29" may not be brought into the state (BATF will not approve the Form 20).

For your ARs, to bring them, get some cheap HBAR uppers, put them on, bring them along. If you go shooting outside the state, take your standard upper, shoot it, but make sure when you are within MD the HBAR uppers are on.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The Colts? No. Only regulated long guns bought in MD prior to 2013 were registered (77r).

There is voluntary registration offered by MSP, but why in Gods name anyone would do that is beyond me.

You are wrong.

Under FSA 2013, anyone moving into MD after 9/30/13, with the intent to establish residency, must register any firearms that were regulated, but now banned within 90 days..

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Being military on PCS orders, do I technically establish residency? If not, am I required to register.

Next...regardless of whether I have to register ...my two post 2013 rifles are not kosher. Can I leave the uppers in PA with my father in law and bring the complete lowers to build cheap HBAR uppers on at a later date?

Any issues with a 7.62 LMT MWS with either a brake or flash hider?

Appreciate the help. Going to rent for 12 months and then purchase a chunk of land and a house in the WV/VA area, but want to get to know the area and confirm commute times. I’ll be in the Meade/BWI area.

Thanks!

Yeah, leave the uppers and bring the lowers with HBARs for them. For where to live, rent for 12 and buy is a good idea. No, you can’t bring anything banned in to the state if it was purchased after 2013. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t a resident.

Also, there might be a crazy member or two on here, but working at Meade would be one of the few areas of the state I’d tell you that you must live in the state. Most of the state is less than an hour from a “free state”. However, Meade itself isn’t really. Especially during rush hour you are talking 75 minutes, roughly, from the nearest border and bad traffic can make it over 90 minutes. If you want to live a little rural, NVA rural KSU is closer to 2 hours. WVA is also about 2 hours from there. Southern PA would be the closest for somewhat rural and not in MD, but still about 90 minutes away.

You are talking roughly 45-50 miles as the crow flies from Meade to VA or PA, but it works out to more like 50 to VA or 65 to PA by major highway. You can guarantee you won’t be doing 65+mph unless you can commute very early in the day (and again, that is just to the border). WVA is more like 80 miles.

Just want to prepare you for that. Unless you don’t mind spending a lot of your life driving, I’d look more at a place in MD and a plot of land to get away from it all in a free state to visit or something. At least if the Meade thing is permanent till mustering out/retirement.

Mine isn’t too bad as I work right at 70 and 695 which is about 40 minutes to the PA border, but that’s with no traffic. I know coworkers who do the drive to the Shrewsberry area where they live. A lot of them either have to do it at the butt crack of dawn and still spend an hour and a half plus in the car every day and 90 miles on their odometer, or they realize they’ll be spending 2 hours in the car every day.

As much as I hate a number of things about MD, I don’t want to waste an extra 2 weeks of my life every year just in commuting time.

cms81586

Feb 8, 2018
    Yeah, leave the uppers and bring the lowers with HBARs for them. For where to live, rent for 12 and buy is a good idea. No, you can’t bring anything banned in to the state if it was purchased after 2013. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t a resident.

Also, there might be a crazy member or two on here, but working at Meade would be one of the few areas of the state I’d tell you that you must live in the state. Most of the state is less than an hour from a “free state”. However, Meade itself isn’t really. Especially during rush hour you are talking 75 minutes, roughly, from the nearest border and bad traffic can make it over 90 minutes. If you want to live a little rural, NVA rural KSU is closer to 2 hours. WVA is also about 2 hours from there. Southern PA would be the closest for somewhat rural and not in MD, but still about 90 minutes away.

You are talking roughly 45-50 miles as the crow flies from Meade to VA or PA, but it works out to more like 50 to VA or 65 to PA by major highway. You can guarantee you won’t be doing 65+mph unless you can commute very early in the day (and again, that is just to the border). WVA is more like 80 miles.

Just want to prepare you for that. Unless you don’t mind spending a lot of your life driving, I’d look more at a place in MD and a plot of land to get away from it all in a free state to visit or something. At least if the Meade thing is permanent till mustering out/retirement.

Mine isn’t too bad as I work right at 70 and 695 which is about 40 minutes to the PA border, but that’s with no traffic. I know coworkers who do the drive to the Shrewsberry area where they live. A lot of them either have to do it at the butt crack of dawn and still spend an hour and a half plus in the car every day and 90 miles on their odometer, or they realize they’ll be spending 2 hours in the car every day.

As much as I hate a number of things about MD, I don’t want to waste an extra 2 weeks of my life every year just in commuting time.

Appreciate the breakdown. Really. I can look at a map but have no frame of reference for realistic drive times. Looks like I’m sucking it up for now and I’ll see what happens in the next year.

With regards to residency, I was asking more for the handguns and if I’m required if MD isn’t technically my state of residency, or if the state views it differently since the firearms are stored in the state. Not too worried about it either way. Just want to keep the king happy. I can go to PA to have fun with the other toys on my father in law’s land. I’ll make something work there.

Thanks again!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Appreciate the breakdown. Really. I can look at a map but have no frame of reference for realistic drive times. Looks like I’m sucking it up for now and I’ll see what happens in the next year.

With regards to residency, I was asking more for the handguns and if I’m required if MD isn’t technically my state of residency, or if the state views it differently since the firearms are stored in the state. Not too worried about it either way. Just want to keep the king happy. I can go to PA to have fun with the other toys on my father in law’s land. I’ll make something work there.

Thanks again!

You’re welcome. I am mostly going in at length more for “the others” :)

A lot of times people will say “don’t live in the commie hell hole if Maryland. Almost everywhere in Md is less than an hour from any free state”. That’s mostly true except for the very center part of MD Around Meade and Annapolis.

But there are perks of living in the state. Most of the state has very good public schools (whether you believe they are indoctrinating your kids with liberal BS is a bit up to the temperament of the beholder), generally good roads, availability of a ton is cuisine you can’t find in most of the rest of the country (again, might not matter to you, but I love being able to drive less than 30 minutes and find great Indian food, Chinese, sushi, American, Texmex, English pub food, Ethiopian, Mexican, etc.), pretty safe neighborhoods (more situation certainly). Good higher education within a reasonable drive (awesome community college system). Good hospitals.

Taxes are high, but a lot of the state there are no locality taxes (mostly just county and state, no city/township in most of MD) and because of the property tax structure most people pay a fair portion, unlike places like PA that NEVER reevaluate a property until it is sold. Which means if is all of the new buyers who get hosed on high property taxes for pay for schools where as the guy who’s owned the property next door hasn’t had their property reevalutated in 30 years.

There are sure a few things I hate about the state like a lot of traffic and terrible gun laws.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Thanks again!

Unless you get a MD Drivers License and change your home residence with DOD, you are NOT a resident of Maryland, nor are you planning on it. You do not need to register your handguns.

cms81586

Feb 8, 2018
    Once again thanks for the help gents!

And as a side note...I certainly don’t and would never expect preferential treatment for being in the armed forces. The gun control laws that exist on the books in MD shouldn’t exist period...for anyone.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Active duty Military ( and Retired) are exempt from HQL for handgun purchases .

We understand you didn't expect or advocate for this . But that's already on the books , we wouldn't expect anyone to voluntarily subject themselves .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom