• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    all you need is a good vise and an ar armorer's wrench.

If you are not installing a free float tube and have to deal with a delta ring, then a... shit, I can not remember what the damn thing is called, but Chad will probably tell you shortly- it's basically a bar that interfaces with the lugs in your receiver extension to keep it from moving. You need THAT, and it is very helpful for installing the barrel nut with a delta ring wanting to push out your wrench

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

If you are not installing a free float tube and have to deal with a delta ring, then a... shit, I can not remember what the damn thing is called, but Chad will probably tell you shortly- it's basically a bar that interfaces with the lugs in your receiver extension to keep it from moving. You need THAT, and it is very helpful for installing the barrel nut with a delta ring wanting to push out your wrench

Reaction rod

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere

How necessary is the Receiver block? I am also looking at rebarreling an uppper. I read that you can easily cause damage by not using one. It doesnt seem expensive but if its not needed then I won't worry about it.

Doug33w

Aug 22, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    How necessary is the Receiver block? I am also looking at rebarreling an uppper. I read that you can easily cause damage by not using one. It doesnt seem expensive but if its not needed then I won't worry about it.

You'll definitely need a reaction rod or a receiver block. I did my first barrel swap a couple of weeks ago using a reaction rod and it took a lot of force to break the to barrel nut loose. No doubt I would have damaged something If I did not have the right tools.

But a barrel swap is super easy, I have everything taken apart and swapped in less than an hour & I've been enjoying the increased accuracy at the range.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    The barrel is held onto the upper with a "Collar" Nut. If you hold the upper WRONG you could break the upper when taking off or putting on the nut. It all depends on how you hold the upper still while applying torgue to the nut. The reaction rod mentioned actually locks into the Barrel Extension were the bolt locks in, now no stress on the upper receiver.
    I have done it with clamping the barrel in between two blocks of wood (2 X 4) with a hole drilled through the pair and rubber inside to ride against the barrel. I am too CHEAP to buy a tool if I can hack one.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The reaction rod should only be used when you know the Barrel Nut is installed within the proper torque range. If the Barrel Nut was overtorqued (Its VERY common) and you use a reaction rod, you can destroy the upper and damage the barrel extension index pin. I have seen it, if you dont believe me, then dont.

Upper receiver blocks are work better for over todqued barrel nut assemblies but you can leave very slight marks on the upper, and in some cases bend the upper receiver.

The Magpul Bev Block works VERY well for installs and removals, but is tight, so some uppers wont work with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom