• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    If you could have your choice of battle sidearm, what would it be?

I'm more interested in everyone's take on make and model here as opposed to caliber.

Pros and cons?

I haven't got to handle any of the Euro pistols much, such as the HK's, Sigs, and CZ's, just Glocks and the American mainstays so far. I know it's an outdated platform, but so far at least, nothing has been able to top the way a 1911 feels in my hand and points for me.

What say you all?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    G34

-Reliable
    -Plenty of magazines around for them
    -Great muzzle velocity
    -Not heavy
    -EASY to shoot

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    If you could have your choice of battle sidearm, what would it be?

I'm more interested in everyone's take on make and model here as opposed to caliber.

Pros and cons?

I haven't got to handle any of the Euro pistols much, such as the HK's, Sigs, and CZ's, just Glocks and the American mainstays so far. I know it's an outdated platform, but so far at least, nothing has been able to top the way a 1911 feels in my hand and points for me.
    What say you all?

I've deployed with the Beretta M9, SIG M11 and later on a Glock 19. I'd take any of them again. They'll do their job if you do yours in terms of effective employment and judicious shot placement. The handgun is pretty much an in extremis weapon downrange, and hopefully you have a long gun (or crew served) to sort out any problems before having to use your sidearm.

Rumor has it HK's customer service is absolute crap. Apparently they're more interested in military and LE sales.

My brother dealt with the customer service in 2014 (broken USP 45) and it was absolutely stellar. One email and it was fixed in 5 days.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    My HK USP .45, or my M&P .45

I'd lean HK simply because it's a tried and true sidearm, but I have more time and confidence in my abilities with the M&P .45 - either would suit me just fine though.

Feb 28, 2013
    I've deployed with the Beretta M9, SIG M11 and later on a Glock 19. I'd take any of them again. They'll do their job if you do yours in terms of effective employment and judicious shot placement. The handgun is pretty much an in extremis weapon downrange, and hopefully you have a long gun (or crew served) to sort out any problems before having to use your sidearm.

I have no doubt you're correct.

But I had a few different variables in mind. Comfort, accuracy, ease of maintenance, how well it performs, etc.

Theoretically this would be a tool you would have to trust with your life sooner or later should God forbid the SHTF.

My brother dealt with the customer service in 2014 (broken USP 45) and it was absolutely stellar. One email and it was fixed in 5 days.

I reckon that takes care of that one.

I stumbled across a story this morning while looking for reviews on Sig piatols where somebody weren't too happy with HK in that regard.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I would pick my Sig P220 Elite Stainless in 45 ACP.
    It's what I know, it's what I practice with, it's what I'm confident with, it feels good to me, it's accurate, it's reliable as heck and if I connect I suspect, well, ya know.

Feb 28, 2013
    The 220 takes single stack mags, right?

Do they come in 9mm? The misses will soon be in the market for a REAL handgun, instead of that POS Rossi .357 snubnose revolver that neither of us can hit the side of a barn at 10 feet with. She's leanin' toward a G19 so far, but I want to make sure it's somethin' that's the best fit for her small hands.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    The 220 takes single stack mags, right?

Do they come in 9mm? The misses will soon be in the market for a REAL handgun, instead of that POS Rossi .357 snubnose revolver that neither of us can hit the side of a barn at 10 feet with. She's leanin' toward a G19 so far, but I want to make sure it's somethin' that's the best fit for her small hands.
    The P220 is a single stack 45 ACP only. The pair I have came with adjustable rear sights which some of the experts tell me might be a little too delicate for "combat". The sights seem quite hefty to me and would more than suffice for any "combat" I might encounter. I think.

We have two Sig P229's Elite Stainless in 9mm and they are double stack. They are also excellent in all regards, IMHO. But be careful choosing for a woman who may have smaller hands. That double stack on the P229 gives my wife a hard time. Note she has no problem with a Beretta 92FS. I love the Sig P229, however, and it will be my primary concealed carry gun when I move to America.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    If I could pick anything on the market I want, I'd go Hk45 Tactical with some aftermarket +3 extensions for the mags.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    HK P7.

If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand. If you ever shot one, you couldn't help but understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom