• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    While I know this is a controversial topic, I wanted to disburse some information that I was able to gather with a good discussion with my local police Captain and Lieutenant at AACo. Southern District.

I had emailed the southern district requesting information regarding the legalities of open carrying a rifle while handing out literature (I already knew the answer but wanted to get a feel of the PD). Two days later, I received an email from the Lieutenant requesting a meeting with himself and the Captain. I met with them about a week later and here is how things went.

The meeting started off with them asking questions as to why I wanted to do this. I informed them that the 2A community is fed up with the elected officials of our state that keep restricting us bit by bit, little by little. I informed them that I have been involved with the political process and spoke out against many of our laws but my words have fallen on deaf ears as we keep getting pushed to the side. I then told them that the next step (for me, and maybe others) would be to begin carrying my rifle around and hand out literature to people to educate them on what their elected officials are doing and that now is the time to do it as it is election time.

They then informed me that they had been in contact with the AG and confirmed that it is perfectly legal to do so (subject to location restrictions) but had some concerns. The first was that they would receive a flood of calls of a "Man with a gun" and it would cause wasted resources and could potentially have the drastic consequence of an officer drawing their firearm. I asked for advice from them about the most non threatening way to do this as I'm not one to try and start conflict, but I am ready to stand up for my rights. They asked that I notify them well in advance so they could get the word out to multiple agencies to reduce the number of officers being dispatched. They also asked me if I would be carrying loaded, and I told them that while I can legally do so, I would be unloaded. They brought out one aspect of something that I hadn't thought of which I don't want to reveal in an open forum, but will be more than happy to share it privately. It reinforced the idea that you would want to have yourself on video for the entire time.

I have not decided to do this, but I am very close. I am at the point of trying to come up with a one page educational handout and would love some help with that as I would want it to be factual and laid out nicely.

We parted on very good terms and they understand why I feel the way I do but asked me to proceed cautiously.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    While I know this is a controversial topic, I wanted to disburse some information that I was able to gather with a good discussion with my local police Captain and Lieutenant at AACo. Southern District.

I had emailed the southern district requesting information regarding the legalities of open carrying a rifle while handing out literature (I already knew the answer but wanted to get a feel of the PD). Two days later, I received an email from the Lieutenant requesting a meeting with himself and the Captain. I met with them about a week later and here is how things went.

The meeting started off with them asking questions as to why I wanted to do this. I informed them that the 2A community is fed up with the elected officials of our state that keep restricting us bit by bit, little by little. I informed them that I have been involved with the political process and spoke out against many of our laws but my words have fallen on deaf ears as we keep getting pushed to the side. I then told them that the next step (for me, and maybe others) would be to begin carrying my rifle around and hand out literature to people to educate them on what their elected officials are doing and that now is the time to do it as it is election time.

They then informed me that they had been in contact with the AG and confirmed that it is perfectly legal to do so (subject to location restrictions) but had some concerns. The first was that they would receive a flood of calls of a "Man with a gun" and it would cause wasted resources and could potentially have the drastic consequence of an officer drawing their firearm. I asked for advice from them about the most non threatening way to do this as I'm not one to try and start conflict, but I am ready to stand up for my rights. They asked that I notify them well in advance so they could get the word out to multiple agencies to reduce the number of officers being dispatched. They also asked me if I would be carrying loaded, and I told them that while I can legally do so, I would be unloaded. They brought out one aspect of something that I hadn't thought of which I don't want to reveal in an open forum, but will be more than happy to share it privately. It reinforced the idea that you would want to have yourself on video for the entire time.

I have not decided to do this, but I am very close. I am at the point of trying to come up with a one page educational handout and would love some help with that as I would want it to be factual and laid out nicely.

We parted on very good terms and they understand why I feel the way I do but asked me to proceed cautiously.

Can you PM me the one aspect?

BTW, are you shooting with us on 6/14/14?

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Very interesting and good for you talking it out first to avoid problems. One thing I would make sure is on your one-pager is a quote or two from Gansler in the Woolard brief saying it's perfectly legal.

I'd be curious if they might consider keeping an officer close to you. That would both reduce the man with a gun calls and help avoid the potential hero taking you out thinking you must be just pre-spree.

Good luck to you.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    What the police need to do when they get a call is tell the caller that the person Open Carrying is not breaking the law by simply walking around. That's how you educate people.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    What the police need to do when they get a call is tell the caller that the person Open Carrying is not breaking the law by simply walking around. That's how you educate people.

I asked about that and they basically laughed at that concept. Paraphrasing here:

"In this day and age of active shooters, when we get a call of a man with a gun we dispatch immediately"

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    There is a "part 2" to that.

Educate the officers, so that the whole department actually understands--and will correctly apply--the law.

This is actually part of my plan as by giving notice to the local station, they will be informing the officers on duty of what is going on and they in turn will learn that it is legal to do.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    "In this day and age of active shooters, when we get a call of a man with a gun we dispatch immediately"

That's fine but by asking the caller exactly what is the guy/person doing, i.e. running down the street shooting at people or just walking minding his own business.

Preanouncing is also a good idea. the Starbucks and Chipotle stunts hurt more than help the cause IMHO.

juan_galto

This is my user title
    Oct 23, 2011
    This will be to the detriment of 2A efforts. You're going to terrify soccer moms and milquetoast dads who have long ago agreed that this sort of thing is wrong. Worse, you're going to associate gun owners with the fear that "oh no, this time the shooting is on my block!!" Worse, when the largely ignorant public sees that this is a right, they're going to see that pretty negatively. How will the headline read? How will this be addressed legislatively?

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks for your initiative MXIDER! I am not sure that the PD were being genuine, but as always I will give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Sourkraut115

Jul 6, 2013
    the Westside
    This will be to the detriment of 2A efforts. You're going to terrify soccer moms and milquetoast dads who have long ago agreed that this sort of thing is wrong. Worse, you're going to associate gun owners with the fear that "oh no, this time the shooting is on my block!!" Worse, when the largely ignorant public sees that this is a right, they're going to see that pretty negatively. How will the headline read? How will this be addressed legislatively?

Concur. Barring actual emergency circumstances, this is a bad, bad idea.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks for taking the initiative in a well thought out way mxrider

Concur. Barring actual emergency circumstances, this is a bad, bad idea.
    While on its face it may seem like a bad idea (the two mutants at Chipotle), when done in a respectfull, intelligent manner, I think it can have positive outcomes.

Especially if it's made known the Maryland Attorney General has stated LGOC is legal.

PM sent to you in re the one aspect.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom