If you could only have one revolver, which one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I've decided that the next gun purchase, is going to be a revolver. There are a few that I am interested in, but, would love some advice. So, my question is, if you could only have one revolver, which one would you pick? I like S&W, Colt and Ruger. I also like classic blue. Not much on stainless or nickel finish. I would love to have a Python, but, it's way out of my budget. I'm leaning towards a model 29, 586 or a GP100. I'd also love to have the "Dirty Harry" gun, but, since I already own a few .38's, a .44 wouldn't be an economically sound decision. ( I have a butt load of .38 rounds) I like the looks of the 586, but, I like the price of the GP100. I don't know, what do you all think? Is there something else out there that I haven't mentioned? Something around $800 or less? This will not be a carry weapon. Target and collection only.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    How they handle from your perspective matters a lot. My favorites by a mile are S&W K frames and Ruger Security/Speed/Service Six. If you go with the GP100, the TALO model is mighty nice: http://ruger.com/products/gp100DE/specSheets/1753.html.

If you want more traditional, I prefer the S&W Model 27 over the 586, http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57903_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y.

If you're willing to take your time and troll the local shops, you're bound to get lucky and find a nice older blued revolver for $500 or less. That's how I scored a 4" blued Ruger Security Six for $450 that appears to be unfired except for one round shot at the factory (one cylinder hole had minor powder residue).

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    If I could only have one revolver:
    4" Ruger GP 100 in .357.

If I could only have two, I'd add a 6" Colt Python, because it's what I really want but can't justify the price.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    163501_01_lg.jpg

Apr 16, 2013
    Westminster
    I love my GP100 it feels great in the hand. Didn't like the feel of my father in laws S&W .357 grip it wasn't very comfortable. You just have to find what you like.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Elmer Keith was asked that very question. His answer? Smith & Wesson Model 29 (.44 Magnum) with a 4" barrel. I realize that Elmer died in the early 1980s, but by the time he wrote that comment, the Model 29 was not a new gun, and it has, IMO, stood up very well to the test of time, and it's hard to go wrong with a S&W.

Other's might opt for the heavier built Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk, but if could only have one revolver, it'd be my S&W .44 Mag, although I might want to update to one a bit newer than one made in 1956. :)

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    586 with 6" barrel would be my pick.

If you want blued finish, I'd stay with S&W over Ruger.
    586 eats 38 and 357 and 6" barrel makes most of them for accuracy and you won't be carrying it anyhow.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    586 if you want blued

I'm also a huge model 19 fan (haven't found one just yet though)

Or colt trooper

(I like the S&W better but my colt is very nice)

I have more revolvers than I know what to do give me a holler if you want to try a few.

IMG_20130902_195935_zpsb3168917.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom