• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Not really a range report. Just my first impresions on 2 new guns shot for the first time by one whom has never shot an AR or Hi powered rifle.
    Even know I bought these guns 4 weeks ago.
    This past week finally had the chance to ring it out a bit. All shooting was done in WV at our cabin and "private range".
    Rifle is a new Bushmaster 20"HBAR in 223 caliber. Came with carry handle iron sights. I also bought a mini red dot scope from Primary Arms to try out too.

Target was 100 yards verified with my range finder. Iron sights first. After 10 rounds with only 1 "click out/up on the front sight post. Groups were
    within 2".
    This probally due to my old 50+ eye sight:) I did use a inexpenisive clip on bi pod shooting from my picnic table/bench rest. Next replaced the irons for the Red dot sight.The mini Red dot from Primary Arms functioned perfectlly.
    I would recomend it to anyone looking for an inexpensive red dot sight for AR's. At 100 yards the red dot covers pretty much all of the bulls eye on a 14" target. However holding the dot on the center. With 20 shots fired. All were within 1-1/2". Rifle was very repeatable at this range. Probally more accurate then my capabilitys.
    I was shooting 55 grain fmj, along with soft tip bullets and at no time did I have any failure to feed,fire or eject. Gun performed pefectllly. I did clean the barrel after the first 10 shots. After that fired 300 rounds without cleaning. Very happy with this rifle.

Next was the new to me Remington 700 in 30-06 caliber. Tasco 3x9x39 scope.
    Took about 10-15 shots to 0 in the scope. Once dialed in this rifle would shoot groups at 1" or less. Of course after 60 rounds,my skinny lack of padding shoulder just could'nt go any more. What a fun,accurate rifle to shoot. Next trip plan to go ut to 200 or more yards.

Shooting impressions with the Remigton are first. It kicks a bit more then I'm used to. It was unusually warm so I only had on a flannel shirt. I need more padding before shooting this gun for extended times again.
    Second is the trigger. It has no creep or takeup. Pull the trigger and it goes bang like a switch. Not a hair trigger but a very definate and crisp break.

The AR was just plan fun to shoot. No real kick/recoil. Almost like shooting my 22 magnum. So easy to shoot,my wife fell in love with it. Hmm,maybe another AR in my future?

I've already decided the AR needs a regular optic scope.
    The Red dot to me seemed, well lets say different to line up.
    There is no real reference to align the dot. No cross hairs like a conventional scope. Just hold the dot in the center of the tube,on target and shoot.
    Took a bit of getting used to but after that. It is kind of neat to use.
    I still pan on getting a conventional scope for it. Once your at or beyond 100 yards the dot just takes up to much of the target for precision shooting.
    The red dot will definetlly get you on target. Just not something I would use if trying to stay within 1-2"MOA. The dot covered about 4" of the target. Some red dot sights may be smaller,just have no experience with them.
    They will definetlly put you on target quick,easily and accuratelly in a hurry compared to conventional optics.

So anyhow these are my first impressions shooting an AR for the first time.
    Also shooting a hi powered bolt action rifle first time ever.
    I can see now why AR's are so popular. Easy to shoot along with inexpensive ammo wise.

The Remington although expensive to feed along with becomeing uncomforatble to my body after a limited amount of shooting. Is still a damn fun gun to shoot:)

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Nice report. Others will chime in on fundamentals that will help you become more accurate and comfortable with both rounds and rifle platforms.

I agree AR's are pure fun to shoot. Both of mine are more accurate than I am a shooter.

While I don't have a Remington 700, I can say BA rifles are among my favorite shooters. Enfields, K31's and Mausers (all with power similar to a 30-06 round) can kick like mules. But if you shoulder a BA correctly, they won't beat you up too badly. Add a scope? That's where real accurate fun begins for me.

Good luck and have fun.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    sounds like you had a good time. Can't wait until my post like this is ready :)
    just need a range trip to make it come true

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    What a BLAST you must have had: on "Your Homestead" in WVa, sitting at a "Picnic Bench", shooting both awesome guns and hitting the target at will. Everyone here, especially me, is jealous of what you have done with your life and the choices you have made.

Cobra, continue to make us jealous ! :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom