• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • david0715

Sep 14, 2020
    What is the process to by a handgun online through an FFL and FFL's in St. Mary's are good to deal with?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Buy the gun, pay for it and pay for shipping to the FFL of your choice. The FFL then sends a copy of their license to the seller. Seller ships it to said FFL. FFL in st Mary’s receives, you pay the transfer fee. You fill out paperwork along with your HQL then wait 7 days. Pick up gun unless there is an issue with your paperwork or you are a prohibited person.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    You'll notice that some online sellers (Bud's, Guns.com etc) have a pretty substantial list of MD FFLs that are already known to them and have said they're willing to receive such shipments essentially out of the blue, because the seller will provide all of your contact info, and the local FFL can get hold of you once they've got the shipment in hand. Did one of these recently through United in Rockville, and it was a totally zero-fuss well oiled machine of a process.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    You'll notice that some online sellers (Bud's, Guns.com etc) have a pretty substantial list of MD FFLs that are already known to them and have said they're willing to receive such shipments essentially out of the blue, because the seller will provide all of your contact info, and the local FFL can get hold of you once they've got the shipment in hand. Did one of these recently through United in Rockville, and it was a totally zero-fuss well oiled machine of a process.

I'd still call. You never know if that situation has changed. There are a few ratz out there.

david0715

Sep 14, 2020
    Ok, thank you all for the advice. That clears things up a lot.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    I recently had a smooth transfer done at JMJ from an internet purchase. I called them before having it sent as mentioned above so they didn't receive a gun that they weren't expecting. I kept them in the loop with the tracking information as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I too always like to call my FFL of choice and confirm that (a) the firearm I plan to purchase is legal in MD (the HBAR rules can be confusing), and (b) available to handle the transfer. Only then do I give the seller the FFL's name and contact information.

Cal68

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    I will pile on with:

Speak with your FFL first to be sure they will accept the gun you want (some won't do that with a gun they sell).

Speak with the online retailer to be sure all is okay with what you want.

I will also say unless you're saving a lot of money, or your local FFL can't get what you want, consider buying locally. Easier to deal with if there's a problem, and helps a local dealer.

Welcome aboard!

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Don't forget the md roster game! Is it on the roster?

Working with the FFL goes a long ways to making it smooth.
    Also, may want to give them a chance to get said item in first if it is a new off the shelf item. Getting a "deal" to save $20 isn't a "deal" after the transfer few. They may be able to get the std capacity magazines as an FFL, all sorts of little nuances to address. Also, if you order it in and have an issue it is YOUR issue.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Don't forget the md roster game! Is it on the roster?

Working with the FFL goes a long ways to making it smooth.
    Also, may want to give them a chance to get said item in first if it is a new off the shelf item. Getting a "deal" to save $20 isn't a "deal" after the transfer few. They may be able to get the std capacity magazines as an FFL, all sorts of little nuances to address. Also, if you order it in and have an issue it is YOUR issue.

This! Have you checked the IP listing in the top header? It’s always better to support a local IP. Mention you’re a MDS member and sometimes they’ll give you a break.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I second the roster check. I have a friend that has a gun in limbo. It is at the MD FFL, that model is NOT on the roster and the FFL rightfully will not do the transfer. The model number is different from the model number on the roster. The out of state seller will not accept returns.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Factor in the transfer cost and all the extra MD bs before buying, for a handgun in particular the savings is usually non existent.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Factor in the transfer cost and all the extra MD bs before buying, for a handgun in particular the savings is usually non existent.

Sometimes it's not about the thirty or forty bucks one way or another, it's about availability. My preferred LGS won't act as an inbound transfer agent for something they normally sell. For better or worse, that includes items that they sell BUT NOBODY CAN GET (because the supply chain is totally cleaned out), including them. But since I found a dealer that had the normally easy to find, but currently hen's teeth and no inventory coming any time soon from the factory pistol I wanted, I bypassed the LGS and bought remotely. Not my normal way of being.

But, now I'll have that .45 at least several months sooner than I otherwise would.

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020
    I second the roster check. I have a friend that has a gun in limbo. It is at the MD FFL, that model is NOT on the roster and the FFL rightfully will not do the transfer. The model number is different from the model number on the roster. The out of state seller will not accept returns.

If it is not on the roster, but is already at the local FFL, why not just have them submit it to be added to the roster. At least they can get it a few months down the road, especially since the seller won't take it back.

This is something they should speak to the FFL about - some will gladly submit the paperwork and hold it for you, while others may start charging a storage fee after a set amount of time.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Sometimes it's not about the thirty or forty bucks one way or another, it's about availability. My preferred LGS won't act as an inbound transfer agent for something they normally sell. For better or worse, that includes items that they sell BUT NOBODY CAN GET (because the supply chain is totally cleaned out), including them. But since I found a dealer that had the normally easy to find, but currently hen's teeth and no inventory coming any time soon from the factory pistol I wanted, I bypassed the LGS and bought remotely. Not my normal way of being.

But, now I'll have that .45 at least several months sooner than I otherwise would.

Agreed, and under the current storm clouds of uncertainty you jump on something if it works for you. Given the op's innocent enough question regarding purchasing online they (making a huge assumption here) are not fully versed in the extra added BS that this state adds onto handgun purchases to make us all safer :rolleyes: Down this way most of the stores have a fair selection of pistols because we are a bit further away from the 'big cities' and that pistol purchase tax license card is working as intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom