• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maki

Jun 11, 2020
    Odenton
    So, I was under the impression that purchasing a stripped lower qualified you be training exempt;
    ​​Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

But apparently, as you're applying, it says that it has to be owned prior to 2013. When I was at the store getting fingerprinted, they asked me what my training exemption was and I told them that I had purchased the lower a few weeks back, as well as having my Hunter Safety card that I got in 03, and that I was an instructor up until 2012. Got told that the Hunter Safety wouldn't qualify me because it was "too old" and that they wouldn't care if I was a former instructor. Is this accurate? I haven't seen any information on MSP's site regarding a HS Card being "too old" just as I've never been told that I have to renew it to get my hunting license.

Maki

Jun 11, 2020
    Odenton
    Who cares that you were an instructor?

The point of that being brought up is that the DNR pushed a new program that was supposed to be more universal around 09 if I'm remembering correctly, and there was some talk around about people with Hunter Safety certifications from before 2000 being required to take the new class (but ultimately was never pushed through.)

That's only a small point of my post though, the initial was asking if there's some sort of unspoken cut off date for the Hunter Safety Cards.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I never quite bought into the whole "buy a stripped lower and it counts as a regulated for HQL" thing.

Save yourself additional headache and spend the $28 on the Texas Hunter Safety Course, online only version. It's very simple and it's a DNR approved course and therefore approved for the MD HQL.

I submitted mine in with the temp email certificate of completion and it worked no prob.

https://www.hunter-ed.com/texas/

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    So, I was under the impression that purchasing a stripped lower qualified you be training exempt;

​​Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

But apparently, as you're applying, it says that it has to be owned prior to 2013. When I was at the store getting fingerprinted, they asked me what my training exemption was and I told them that I had purchased the lower a few weeks back, as well as having my Hunter Safety card that I got in 03, and that I was an instructor up until 2012. Got told that the Hunter Safety wouldn't qualify me because it was "too old" and that they wouldn't care if I was a former instructor. Is this accurate? I haven't seen any information on MSP's site regarding a HS Card being "too old" just as I've never been told that I have to renew it to get my hunting license.
    Are you positive on the stripped lower not being except part? Sounds like the store you went to lied. I bought a stripped lower recently for this explicit purpose

Maki

Jun 11, 2020
    Odenton
    Are you positive on the stripped lower not being except part? Sounds like the store you went to lied. I bought a stripped lower recently for this explicit purpose

Stripped lower works and the DNR hunter safety course also works regardless of issue date.

I may have just misunderstood it. I can't go back as I've already filled out the initial application, but I could've sworn it was talking about if you owned a regulated firearm Pre-2013. If it works, great, it's just an additional bit if they want more.

It might just be the store trying to sell their own classes tbh. There was the "oh, we've heard stories of people being denied because of xxxx" when they were probably denied for a different reason. I only went to said store because it's the closest one I know that does the fingerprinting.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

But apparently, as you're applying, it says that it has to be owned prior to 2013.

No where is that in state statute, hell it can be a C&R handgun that you purchased (HQL Exempt purchase) last month and it satisfy the exemption.

When I was at the store getting fingerprinted, they asked me what my training exemption was and I told them that I had purchased the lower a few weeks back, as well as having my Hunter Safety card that I got in 03, and that I was an instructor up until 2012. Got told that the Hunter Safety wouldn't qualify me because it was "too old" and that they wouldn't care if I was a former instructor. Is this accurate?

Hunter safety is fine, no date requirement in state statute. You need to find a new store (and out the one that gave you the ******** info). See my remark above about the regulated firearm issue. And for the instructor exemption you have to be current, not former for it to be used/accepted.

I haven't seen any information on MSP's site regarding a HS Card being "too old" just as I've never been told that I have to renew it to get my hunting license.

Once you get a hunter safety card, it is good for life and in every state.

DustyDave

Jul 1, 2020
    Finksburg, MD
    Yes. I had training from the Maryland police training commission in 2008 — and they said it doesn’t qualify because it’s too old (Not that that matters since I had already owned a regulated firearm many years prior to that and didn’t need the training to satisfy the requirement). You actually have to send them an email and ask them if any training you had is valid. But I’m guessing unless it’s training that you got after they passed this law it’s probably not valid. Unfortunately this is Maryland.....And Democrats rule

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yes. I had training from the Maryland police training commission in 2008 — and they said it doesn’t qualify because it’s too old (Not that that matters since I had already owned a regulated firearm many years prior to that and didn’t need the training to satisfy the requirement). You actually have to send them an email and ask them if any training you had is valid. But I’m guessing unless it’s training that you got after they passed this law it’s probably not valid. Unfortunately this is Maryland.....And Democrats rule

Training timelines and exemptions are spelled out in state statute quite clearly. Any trainer and most folks here could have told you that the PTC training from 2008 would not qualify because it was over three years old.

aresdtr

Sep 25, 2013
    Laurel, MD
    Not necessarily the store trying to sell their training class. I have been told by MDSP: Training must be in last three years. Also been told: I got my HQL with a DNR Safety card older than 3 years. Figure it's always worth a try.

The regulated firearm to exempt individual from training would have to have been purchased before October 1, 2013, when the law went into effect because after that you couldn't buy a regulated firearm without an HQL. Other training exemptions are military (active, retired, reserve, or with DD214), law enforcement, and of course training acceptable to the MDSP. Some of these (e.g., active duty and fully retired military) are exempt from the HQL altogether.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Not necessarily the store trying to sell their training class. I have been told by MDSP: Training must be in last three years. Also been told: I got my HQL with a DNR Safety card older than 3 years. Figure it's always worth a try.

If you read the state statute, these are two completely different things. The direct training for the HQL has to be taken three years prior to application.

The hunter safety is an exemption to that training, and is in accordance with DNR requirements (Not applicable to the three year requirement)

The regulated firearm to exempt individual from training would have to have been purchased before October 1, 2013, when the law went into effect because after that you couldn't buy a regulated firearm without an HQL.

Incorrect since a C&R handgun requires no HQL, but does require a 7 day wait since Maryland considers it a regulated firearm. It can then be used as the "regulated firearm" exemption.

Other training exemptions are military (active, retired, reserve, or with DD214), law enforcement, and of course training acceptable to the MDSP. Some of these (e.g., active duty and fully retired military) are exempt from the HQL altogether.

Not all LE are exempt from the HQL or the training per state statute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom