• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I have a CMP M1 Garand rifle that I purchased direct from the CMP and am considering selling. An intereseted party asked if it is "legal in Maryland".

Still feeling like a newcomer in Maryland...what does that even mean? The question makes me nervous. The CMP checked me out and approved my purchase. And I don't think that there are any problems with owning a CMP Rifle in Maryland.

Do I need to get a CMP M1 Garand licensed in Maryland? Do I need to have a license to sell it in Maryland? What about selling it outside of Maryland on a national site like SnipersHide or something like that?

Yes, I'm still kinda spooked about owning firearms in Maryland...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    M1 Garand is indeed legal in Maryland, but why would you sell it?
    Face to face in Md is fine, for now. Out of state will need to go through an FFL or sell to a C&R license holder.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    M1 Garand is indeed legal in Maryland, but why would you sell it?
    Face to face in Md is fine, for now. Out of state will need to go through an FFL or sell to a C&R license holder.

I will be selling because I own more than one. I LOVE M1 Garands...and M1 Carbines even more...but I plan to sell to buy something different...probably a nicer M1 Garand...

So I don't need any sort of license or permission or anything to sell it?

Why would a Maryland resident, ostensibly a C&R himself, even ask a question like that? It kinda spooked me.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

Why would a Maryland resident, ostensibly a C&R himself, even ask a question like that? It kinda spooked me.

Nope no license, permission or anything like that. The reason for that goofy question is due to battered gun-owners syndrome. It's very prevelent in Maryland. Some people imagine the the ******** is worse than it really is.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Nope no license, permission or anything like that. The reason for that goofy question is due to battered gun-owners syndrome. It's very prevelent in Maryland. Some people imagine the the ******** is worse than it really is.

That is a very helpful response and explains a lot. So to another Maryland resident it doesn't need to go through an FFL or anything like that? I imagine I'd be wise to get a bill of sale and an ID but any other thoughts?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    That is a very helpful response and explains a lot. So to another Maryland resident it doesn't need to go through an FFL or anything like that? I imagine I'd be wise to get a bill of sale and an ID but any other thoughts?

As long as you have no reason to think the buyer is prohibited a face to face sale is fine. A bill of sale is a good idea also. Like someone already mentioned take a couple photos and list it right here in the classifieds

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    As long as you have no reason to think the buyer is prohibited a face to face sale is fine. A bill of sale is a good idea also. Like someone already mentioned take a couple photos and list it right here in the classifieds

There’s a lot of Bill of Sale forms out there on the internet to use as a template that spell out that the buyer is not prohibited, good to have a record like that for any future liability issues that could arise IMHO.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I second this. Depending on price, I may be interested.

I sent a PM expressing interest also. Don’t know price but He basically told me he wants top dollar. Not sure why he just doesn’t put out the price and let people on here judge if it’s a fair price or not.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I will be selling because I own more than one. I LOVE M1 Garands...and M1 Carbines even more...but I plan to sell to buy something different...probably a nicer M1 Garand...

Yes you can sell the rifle. As long as you own it.

I would throw some pictures up or even a description. It may already be a "nice one" and you don't realize it.
    C&r doesn't mean he knows anything to me, or you for that matter.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For anyone reading this thread at a later date , this thread is correct as of July 2020 . Subject to change January 2021 if/ when the MGA overrides Hogan's veto, the new answer will be. " Must go thru FFL " .

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    M1A's (762x51) were a casualty of the 2013 FSA and therefore not legal to transfer to a MD resident if I am not mistaken.

You are correct. A M1A Precision Loaded was one of my first post 2013 FSA purchases made ... after moving to DE.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    So I haven’t wanted to annoy or offend anyone because I really, really appreciate the folks on MDShooters. But I have obviously failed in my desire not to annoy or offend.

I know exactly what I have in the rifle. I’ve been thinking about this for months and learning all I can. I picked it up at the CMP North store with the help of one of the armorers. It is a CMP Special which they have been doing more recently. The receiver is a Springfield that the CMP has refinished...it looks great! It has a new Criterion barrel (so the muzzle and throat both measure a perfect “0”) and a new American Walnut stock with the CMP cartouche on it. It is NOT a prize for a collection. It is an “authentic” CMP Garand that is extremely tight (new stock) and should be an excellent shooter. It is fully gone through by the CMP and, other than the barrel and stock, is your normal CMP mish-mash of parts. It looks great because it looks almost new but most folks want something with more character and history to the barrel and stock. This doesn’t have that.

In this CRAZY M1 Garand-happy environment, online they are selling for anywhere from $1300 at the very low end to $2000 or more...depending on how crazy a buyer might be on a given day. I’ve been studying it for three weeks trying to decide what to do. I plan to make a profit on it to help pay for the two other M1 Garands I’m keeping...and planning to shoot.

THAT’S why I didn’t want to post it on MDShooters.com. I expect many will be annoyed that I plan to get that much out of it. And I didn’t want to do annoy anyone. I tried to politely decline and then I tried to just be quiet. That didn’t seem to work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom