• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I (and I'm sure many others) expected something of the sort.

On the bright side, if DJT is re-elected in the Fall, RGB may finally retire/die and thus open a seat on the court for a "friendlier" new justice. After the inevitable year-long D bloodbath, of course.

“If” being the operative word, yet again.

xKtF

Nov 5, 2018
    Is a relist just other words for distributed for conference? Clicked on the link and it says distributed for conference 5/1

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    They have officially relisted all of the held 2A cases for conference on Fri

Another thought: what about granting all carry cases and combining them to a single case for argument?

Too big of a step forward for Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, and Kavanaugh to drag Roberts in one opinion?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If we can get a favorable ruling on Malpasso v. Pallozzi or another case that could instate constitutional carry instead of only getting a ruling that states reasonable transport of unloaded firearms is completely protected, Kavanaugh may be a push towards an even bigger win.

This was my greatest concern with the NYSRP case if it won the merits. We could have ended up with the court establishing that we have the constitutional right to transport our unloaded weapons in a locked box, with lots of room for "and no, you can stop for a donut but not for gas AND a donut" or the like. Next 2A case needs to be about a challenge on some of the stuff we're actually being starved for - not a likely narrow, ultimately highly limiting mess. I hate to wait, but I'm glad we didn't just get a shallow, pointless victory.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    This was my greatest concern with the NYSRP case if it won the merits. We could have ended up with the court establishing that we have the constitutional right to transport our unloaded weapons in a locked box, with lots of room for "and no, you can stop for a donut but not for gas AND a donut" or the like. Next 2A case needs to be about a challenge on some of the stuff we're actually being starved for - not a likely narrow, ultimately highly limiting mess. I hate to wait, but I'm glad we didn't just get a shallow, pointless victory.

It isn't the holding itself that matters, it's the legal wrangling used to reach the result, and the direction for all other cases to be sent back to the appeals courts and reconsidered in light of that direction. If they adopted Ginsberg's "wear or carry about the person in case of confrontation" definition as "bearing arms" and transportation as a subset of that behavior, lower courts would be hard pressed to defend may-issue schemes.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Alright thanks :thumbsup:, isn't it also sort of a good sign that they are relisted for conference so fast?

Normal, they'll either deny cert, relist again for further review, or grant cert. At this point, I would hope the four dissenters have a case in mind to push through. They've known the per curiam was happening, their clerks could have researched the heck out of the chosen case to be 100% sure.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Normal, they'll either deny cert, relist again for further review, or grant cert. At this point, I would hope the four dissenters have a case in mind to push through. They've known the per curiam was happening, their clerks could have researched the heck out of the chosen case to be 100% sure.

For this reason, I did not expect them all to be relisted.

:party29::party29::party29:

JC92

Aug 1, 2012
    MD
    I admit that I was part of the optimistic crowd for NYSRPA. However, I am now bracing for a denial across the board on Friday. If SCOTUS can't issue a decision defining the contours of 2A rights in a case where the defendant (NY State) has "given up", why should I expect a Grant of Cert in the next case where the defendant will argue in support of his case?

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I must admit, I didn't see this strategy from the states coming, but wow... it's seems genius. We get to pay for both our prosecution and defense. The prosecution money seems endless and deep. I suspect if this strategy is used more and more the defense money is going to run very thin..

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I admit that I was part of the optimistic crowd for NYSRPA. However, I am now bracing for a denial across the board on Friday. If SCOTUS can't issue a decision defining the contours of 2A rights in a case where the defendant (NY State) has "given up", why should I expect a Grant of Cert in the next case where the defendant will argue in support of his case?

They weren't being asked to "define the contours" ... they were being asked to address a law that no longer exists, and in a case where nobody sought damages. Though NY were clearly being d-bags about it, moot is moot. Unless you know they won't address any of the other cases, we should be glad they'd rather have a go at a case with better broad-2A underpinnings.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

No. There were 5 votes for the underlying 2A case, thats the reason that NY went out of its way to moot the case.

NYSRPA was not a win for gun prohibitionists. They lost. They chose a short term gambit. They decided to lose on their own terms. A loss is a loss.

A lot of people have said about Roberts is that he looks for "acceptance" before a broad ruling. He likes to move the chains slowly. Here, this was outlier law (NYC) with the opportunity for a narrow ruling. Then NYC decided to moot the case and basically accept/allow everything the plaintiffs wanted.

Now, the court will take another case and move the goalposts.

win296

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore
    My expectations for this case were low, but I’m still surprised by how easily SCOTUS got played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom