• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    how many cert denials is this post-Mcdonald? I think this was 68. Anyone know for sure?

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait for a law to be struck down by the appeals court before the Supremes examine an AWB. Problem is how few states with such proclivities are in pro-gun circuits.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm not at all optimistic in regards to Kolbe, or the NY challenge.

Maybe with luck, none of these will go to SCOTUS until President Trump can make an appointment to Ginsberg's seat.....:cool:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait for a law to be struck down by the appeals court before the Supremes examine an AWB. Problem is how few states with such proclivities are in pro-gun circuits.

I mean, there is some hope I suppose from the 2nd, since they went against the 7 round limit.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I mean, there is some hope I suppose from the 2nd, since they went against the 7 round limit.

I'm not sure that would be a factor for a split, since the laws in Kolbe and Friedman didn't go below the 10 round limit. Hopefully I'm wrong.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    I believe the only way to get a case in front of SCOTUS is to challenge a non-restrictive law like one that would specifically allow semi auto rifles or the like. But then I think there are enough justices who would strike that down to make it a dangerous journey.

jamesriver

Dec 8, 2009
    Aspen Hill
    The concern I have with the last two dissents is that it only got two people signed on. That means Alito was not on board with granting cert.

Not necessarily...only Thomas and Alito dissented from the SCOTUS initial decision last fall to not hear the gay marriage cases (then they basically had to once there was disagreement among appeals courts) and that still wound up with Alito and Roberts siding with them in the end, 5-4.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Well I think it's safe to say KCBrown was right.

I think its safe to say the courts are closed. I wonder how long until they take a case just so they can reverse Heller.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

If you always predict "denied" you will be right 95%+ of the time. The court does not say why it denied, so any reason I give cannot be proven wrong.

If you predict an opinion will be unanimous, you will be right 70% of the time too.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Yeah but when the court denies to hear a case where the judges ruling is based on his "feelings" its hard to rationalize that.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

I think its safe to say the courts are closed. I wonder how long until they take a case just so they can reverse Heller.

Constitutional Convention.

If you think the courts are done..

Start now.

I Don't think there done..

So I wait.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Yeah but when the court denies to hear a case where the judges ruling is based on his "feelings" its hard to rationalize that.

Which is why I go back to the fact that only two signed on to the dissent. Bizarre reasoning alone is not enough for cert. There must be something else that steered them away. Could be a lack of split, or a lot of other things.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    Which is why I go back to the fact that only two signed on to the dissent. Bizarre reasoning alone is not enough for cert. There must be something else that steered them away. Could be a lack of split, or a lot of other things.

The court has had a decent variety of fundamental 2A cases sent up to it. It has denied cert to all of them. None of the variety of factors present in those cases made any difference. Existence of a split, nature of the question, narrowness of the issue, nature of the plaintiff, etc. Nothing.

When you tweak all the variables and always come up empty, then it either means that the selection process is random (disproved by the fact that both Heller and McDonald were granted cert in relatively quick succession), or it means that the reason for denial is independent of any factors in the cases being sent up.

But if the latter is true, then it follows that no case we send up will be granted cert until whatever condition that is preventing cert from being granted changes. I've already posited a reason for the change of behavior of the Court (and yes, it is a change. No other fundamental right has ever been utterly ignored by the Court after initial recognition, such that the end result is the same as if the initial recognition hadn't happened in the first place, the way this one is being ignored), while others are possible, one thing cannot reasonably be denied at this point: 2nd Amendment cases are now being treated differently from other fundamental rights cases by the Court.

As for your claim that all of our cases have been denied cert because the Court denies cert to most cases, the actual probabilities involved once one gets past the first conference belie that claim. Most of the cases we've sent up (well, the ones we have been discussing on this forum, at least) have made it past the first conference. Some, like this one, went way past that. But regardless, the vast majority of denials happen during the first conference, and that has not been true of our cases. And yet, every single one of our cases has been denied cert anyway. At first glance, that flies in the face of the probabilities. Cases that are rescheduled during the first conference have a 58.5% chance that they will eventually be granted cert. And yet, we have had NONE granted. So no, it is quite clear that this cannot be explained through the normal workings of the Court.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom