Looking for a HD revolver in 45acp, few question inside.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Like someone said gunbroker and even better if Lou has one. Smith and Colt both did Model 1917 45ACP revolvers. The Brazilian contract guns just tend to be the best priced ones out there if you're looking for a functional yet historic weapon. Usual things to look for as far as cylinder timing, flame cutting on the frame, etc. Both are nice but the Colt is going to be more complicated to work on than the Smith if it ever does need attention.

Zoo im looking for another budget Indy gun to chop the barrel on. Do these Brazilian 1917s have a specific name or some kind of common name I would use to search? And did both S&W and Colt make them for Brazil?

After googling some, ive noticed they come with the old smooth grips AND. Lanyard loop. Just need to chop it to 4" and get the front sight put back on. Very interested now.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Unfortunately 45 acp is not a common revolver round. It was designed specifically for the Automatic Colt Pistol. As a rimless round it needs moon clips which is a boon in speed shooting sports as they are like speedloaders and keep everything compact. Maybe you should consider a nice 357 and use the money saved for ammo.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Shooters Discount had an old revolver that shoots .45acp with moon clips when I was in there Thursday. No clue on what it was or price or anything else.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not sure if still in their current catalogue , but until recently Taraus made a Tracker in .45acp . 5 shot , more compact than N frames.

In addition to Ruger , several of the SAA clones are available in dual cylnder .45LC , .45acp , but that's back to a SA .

If you want a large high quality gun , there are several current and recent S&W N frames.

For simply a revolver in potent and versatile HD/SD cal , best choice is to diversify to getting a .357 . For a more recreational emphasis , one of the dual cylnder SA's .

NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    So basically 45acp isnt worth it in a revolver? I have an XD already in 45 acp..

realjoecool

MDS Supporter
    Aug 6, 2012
    S&W Governor with CT laser.

162411 - Model GOVERNOR with Crimson Trace®

Yeah, I know ... Taurus Judge wanna-be, but with .45 ACP, mix'n'match caliber with .45LC and .410 home defense rounds, it's pretty versatile, and the laser makes it ideal for darkened hallway and stairs.

Capacity: 6 Rounds
    Action: Single/Double Action
    Barrel Length: 2-3/4”
    Front Sight: Dovetailed Tritium Night Sight
    Rear Sight: Fixed
    Overall Length: 8-1/2”
    Overall Height: 5-1/2”
    Overall Width: 1-3/4”
    Weight: 29.6 oz.

And ... it's on the MSP 'approved list'.

The only drawback ... It's name ... which reminds me of Owe'Malley. :sad20:
    This, for home defense or a survival piece.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Dr. Jones favorite revolver.

aj blackhawk.jpg

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Unfortunately 45 acp is not a common revolver round. It was designed specifically for the Automatic Colt Pistol. As a rimless round it needs moon clips

No moon clips for Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero, if single-action is acceptable to the OP. A well-practiced shooter should easily hit quarters off-hand at 7 yards with a 5.5" or longer Blackhawk. They tend to be spooky accurate.

NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    How much are you looking to spend? Smith's are a lot of dough and probably worse right now with prices getting jacked up.

I dont mind used, but Id say around 800 or so. I already have a 45acp semi as I said before, but Id like a revolver for HD.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    45ACP revolver

I agree with the no single actions for home defense. The usual single action trigger is too light for good control in a high adrenaline situation, and there is no speed load option.
    I haven't seen too many double action 45 ACP revolvers . The S&Ws (325,625 and 1917) and the antique Webleys/Enfields are around. Of these, the 625 is the most available.
    I think the moon clips are an excellent way to carry spare ammo and to reload in a hurry- faster than speed loaders. The half moons and 2 shot clips are too delicate, but the moon clips are robust . I have some moon clips that are >10 years old that I am still using. It does require a little hand strength to load them, but there are tools sold to load and unload them.
    Catch the video of Jerry Miculek shooting 6 reloading and shooting another 6 in 2.99 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8R00hUvXZ0 (sorry, this is the Spanish version)
    DocAitch

Last edited:

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    For home defense the only option in my mind would be the S&W 625. It's smaller than that governor abomination and an extremely well made revolver and the moon clips make it a heck of a lot quicker to reload than most other wheelguns.

Speaking of reloading you do not want single action for home defense. If you have to reload that under stress you are beyond screwed.

If you were going to carry it I'd say look at the 325 as it is a good 10oz lighter but since it's for home defense the extra weight of the 625 is an advantage. In an ideal world you'd have the 625 on the night stand and the 325 as your CCW as I believe it uses the same moon clips.

NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    I've read that the 45acp in a revolver isn't that bad. Done actually say faster to reload. But are we going to need to reload in a HD situation normally? Sure anything possible but as they said 1 well placed shot is better then 10+ misses bad shots right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom