• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I took the MD. firearms safety training course back in 2001 at one of the Silverado shows at the Gaithersburg fairgrounds. Remember that place?

Anyway, I had the card laminated and continue to carry it around with me in my wallet. Over the years the inked-in information (certifier's name and ID number) have become increasingly hard to read, with the ink bleeding into the paper fibers. So much so that most FFLs routinely ask me WTH is the number.

What's a viable solution to this?

Thanks,

Bryan

tailboardtech

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2011
    upperco
    What Dave said, I couldn't find mine after I moved, I just re took it. Of course I found the old one about a week later. Also save the cards on your computer that way if you loose /trash them you can just print out new ones.

I took the course in 2002 and my laminated card is also pretty faded. I asked my FFL dealer about it and showed it to him he said as long as the certificate numbers can be read not to be concerned with it. The numbers on my card are still in good shape much better than anything else on the card.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    With the current backlogs for everything else be patient , but MSP offers duplicates as long as you can provide the number.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    With the current backlogs for everything else be patient , but MSP offers duplicates as long as you can provide the number.

That'd be ideal. Got contact information for that? No need to re-take the course and be in the MSP's log books twice.

Bryan

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    All you really need is the number.

I keep the original in a filing cabinet, and carry an unlaminated xerox.
    But I have never had to show a dealer the card: I just fill in the number on the forms.
    I don't doubt some dealers want to see the card, but you should be able to tell even them, "Hey, just send in the paperwork. I guarantee there won't be a problem with this number. I've done this plenty of times before."

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I laminated a couple of them and have the file saved on my computer. If I ever need another, I can simply print it out.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    only thing you need is the number.. write the number down or put it on your phone.. you be good to go.. nobody really need to see the card. :)

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I took the MD. firearms safety training course back in 2001 at one of the Silverado shows at the Gaithersburg fairgrounds. Remember that place?

Anyway, I had the card laminated and continue to carry it around with me in my wallet. Over the years the inked-in information (certifier's name and ID number) have become increasingly hard to read, with the ink bleeding into the paper fibers. So much so that most FFLs routinely ask me WTH is the number.

What's a viable solution to this?

Thanks,

Bryan

I made a scan of mine when I noticed the same thing happening years ago, now if I need it, I can just print a copy anytime I want it.

You should do the same before it becomes totally illegible

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Forgive my newness... but for which types of firearms does one need to have taken this course?

Handguns and any other regulated purchase. There is never a bad or dumb question to ask. :D Go online to the link above and watch the video and you will be done with it. Then apply for your designated collector which is also free. Then you can buy a regulated firearm everyday of the week if you want. :D:D

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Handguns and any other regulated purchase. There is never a bad or dumb question to ask. :D Go online to the link above and watch the video and you will be done with it. Then apply for your designated collector which is also free. Then you can buy a regulated firearm everyday of the week if you want. :D:D

Awesome. Thanks so much. I went to Free State again today for the 2nd time and bought a membership. It's so much fun, I feel a new addiction starting.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Forgive my newness... but for which types of firearms does one need to have taken this course?
    Maryland treats all handguns, and some scary-looking longguns as "Regulated".

Must be 21 to possess. Extra paperwork, $10 fee, background checks, and 7 to 10 to 28 day wait (depending on how slow the process goes...).

All ARs are "regulated" except "Colt HBARs and copies of the Colt HBAR". (HBARs were considered "target rifles", not "assault rifles") What that means is up to the individual dealer. Many will sell any HBAR as cash and carry, but not all will.

Here is the actual list

http://www.mdamberplan.com/downloads/assault_weapons.pdf

The list is kind of quirky. It was drawn up back in the late '80s, I think, and it shows. For instance the "Bushmaster rifle" was a prototype that was never produced in quantity- it's not related to the AR. Many other guns on the list are long-forgotten relics of the '80s.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Just took half an hour and watched it. Honestly most of that was covered in my hunter safety course (online) and in more detail. Very basic. I took the advice of all and saved a PDF of the form, which I will print out and mail in. Thanks for the info.

One quick question... did I understand right that you are not allowed to teach anyone under the age of 21 to shoot your handgun, even at a range? Is that true also for .22 long rifles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom