• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Type 14. Looks pretty nice just need to clean it up a little bit. Bore looks nice too! Don't see any import markings either. So Far I learned that it was made at the Toriimatsu Branch of the Nagoya Arsenal in July of 1942. Patiently waiting for some ammo to arrive. It has a fantastic trigger pull, can't wait to shoot it. The mag release is a little tricky to operate, doesn't protrude beyond the surface of the grip at all, not sure if that's the way it's supposed to be or not?

Whoah....you may have something very special here...it’s going to need some further digging for sure. That “00” above your serial number is known as a “double zero” Toriimatsu Nambu in the Japanese collecting world. Typically found on the very early production pistols from Toriimatsu and is believed to denote a factory experimental run of a certain firing pin design which differs from normal production. They are very rare and extremely desirable. An immediate discrepancy, however, is that the double zeros typically fall into the date range of 16.10-17.2. I don’t know enough about these to know what that means for yours, but certainly worth some additional research! It’s estimated that only about 185 or so were marked that way from what I’ve read, so if you have a legit double zero Nambu you hit the jackpot.

http://www.nambuworld.com/2011-2 Double Zero.pdf

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Whoah....you may have something very special here...it’s going to need some further digging for sure. That “00” above your serial number is known as a “double zero” Toriimatsu Nambu in the Japanese collecting world. Typically found on the very early production pistols from Toriimatsu and is believed to denote a factory experimental run of a certain firing pin design which differs from normal production. They are very rare and extremely desirable. An immediate discrepancy, however, is that the double zeros typically fall into the date range of 16.10-17.2. I don’t know enough about these to know what that means for yours, but certainly worth some additional research! It’s estimated that only about 185 or so were marked that way from what I’ve read, so if you have a legit double zero Nambu you hit the jackpot.

http://www.nambuworld.com/2011-2 Double Zero.pdf
    Thanks for that info. Very interesting I'll have to look into that

Jul 1, 2012
    Derby and Brown p. 148 lists the known S/N's for the 00's.
    It then goes on to say that some fake 00's have shown up, one is 17.7 s/n 52626
    If it was me I'd post it over on the Japanese section of Gunboards ("Firearms of the Rising Sun" forum) and one of the experts like Dan Larkin will tell you all about it :)
    He also maintains a database of S/N's so would be interested in seeing this one, whichever way it falls.

doh, just looked at the PDF at the link KH195 provided and guess who wrote that...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Derby and Brown p. 148 lists the known S/N's for the 00's.
    It then goes on to say that some fake 00's have shown up, one is 17.7 s/n 52626
    If it was me I'd post it over on the Japanese section of Gunboards ("Firearms of the Rising Sun" forum) and one of the experts like Dan Larkin will tell you all about it :)
    He also maintains a database of S/N's so would be interested in seeing this one, whichever way it falls.

doh, just looked at the PDF at the link KH195 provided and guess who wrote that...

LOL! What a coincidence. Here is the unredacted picture of my serial #

Attachments

• IMG_0551b.jpg
      IMG_0551b.jpg
      64.3 KB · Views: 281
    Jul 1, 2012
    Now you have a documented pistol from THE reference book :)
    The book also says there's a faint mum on the left rear frame, out of curiosity is that present?

2ndatrades

Aug 20, 2020
    Howard County
    Congrats on the first purchase! And what an awesome caliber to shoot. My first C&R was a 32acp as well, got a walther PP manufactured in 1942. Needless to say 32acp is now my favorite handgun caliber.

Athelney878

Jan 9, 2021
    Montgomery County
    Octogenarian Wrestling Society.

I am pleased overall with the condition but, as you can see in the picture, part of the grip has broken off, which was a bit disappointing for their “select” option. We’ll see if it catches my hand when firing. The wood grips Doc. Toxic posted a picture of do look nice.

Jul 1, 2012
    there's some on ebilPay for $25. not sure if repro or NOS. my guess is repro since they had a bunch of them.
    I was able to find some Czech surplus grips but that was several years ago.
    I'd much rather have to replace a grip then deal with pitting, bad bore, etc :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom