• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I've always had a fondness for wheel guns. I have a couple carry semi-autos and I'm thinking about picking up a carry revolver

I've been out of the gun shopping game for a while now so I'm curious to hear recommendations on good carry revolvers.

Looking for compact in size, light weight, concealed or shrouded hammer. Probably 38 but would consider other calibers as well. I just want to avoid 22 or other rounds in that size range. Has to be Maryland approved.

Is the LCR still the way to go or have others entered the market to compete. I'm not really concerned on cost, just want a good quality carry revolver.

Looking forward to your suggestions! :thumbsup:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    New or used? Five rounds or six? How compact?

For lightweight look for an aluminum frame. If weight's not that important a factor the world opens up with possibilities.

S&W J-frames...Charter Arms...Colt D-frames or their new Cobra...Ruger...many to consider. Also remember the lighter the weight the greater the felt recoil. You have to decide what compromises you're willing to accept.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    New or used? Five rounds or six? How compact?

For lightweight look for an aluminum frame. If weight's not that important a factor the world opens up with possibilities.

S&W J-frames...Charter Arms...Colt D-frames or their new Cobra...Ruger...many to consider. Also remember the lighter the weight the greater the felt recoil. You have to decide what compromises you're willing to accept.

I want it primarily as a concealed carry gun. So size and weight are very important. I realize this will not make for an enjoyable range gun, but I have plenty of those already. This will be almost exclusively used as a carry gun.

Small size more important to me than weight, but light weight would sure be nice too for comfort.

I'm pretty familiar with the Rugers. Just curious to see if anything else has entered the market to compete directly with them that I may be overlooking?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I'm not familiar with the Ruger offerings so I can't speak to them. I am much more familiar with some others...I think based simply on my experience the S&W aluminum J-frames...the Charter Arms series (depending on when any particular one was made) and the Colt Cobra or Agent would all do admirably. The Colts have a six-round capacity with a scarcely larger cylinder...something like a 1/10" larger diameter. All are available in .38 Special. You can find many Smiths with an enclosed hammer...I'm not aware of any Charter Arms with an enclosed hammer but there are examples with bobbed hammers. Colt made many with a hammer shroud which was an option.

When I was a LEO and restricted to a revolver my primary off-duty carry was a Colt Cobra...never needed it but it served me well...lightweight and shoots the respectable .38 Special. I still own it and it will be one the last I would ever consider getting rid of.

You have lots to pick from...lots of great choices from numerous gunmakers.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Smith airweight? small and light. and titanium anything is sexy

get the .357 so you can load it with .38 when your wrists aren't feeling strong, and magnums when they are

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    I think the best snubbie is a 3 inch. The LCRx with 3 inch, good adjustable sights and larger grip would be what I would get today. Ruger SP101 3 inch would be good too. An IWB from Andrews Custom Leather will conceal these nicely.

I used to carry a 4 inch S&W M12-3. Lightweight and easy to hit with. A bit difficult to find these days.

JMHO.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Recommending 5 shot for comfort. Carried a 6 shot for a while and hated it when I had to be seated for any length of time.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I'm not familiar with the Ruger offerings so I can't speak to them. I am much more familiar with some others...I think based simply on my experience the S&W aluminum J-frames...the Charter Arms series (depending on when any particular one was made) and the Colt Cobra or Agent would all do admirably. The Colts have a six-round capacity with a scarcely larger cylinder...something like a 1/10" larger diameter. All are available in .38 Special. You can find many Smiths with an enclosed hammer...I'm not aware of any Charter Arms with an enclosed hammer but there are examples with bobbed hammers. Colt made many with a hammer shroud which was an option.

When I was a LEO and restricted to a revolver my primary off-duty carry was a Colt Cobra...never needed it but it served me well...lightweight and shoots the respectable .38 Special. I still own it and it will be one the last I would ever consider getting rid of.

You have lots to pick from...lots of great choices from numerous gunmakers.

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely check out the Colt. Colt is one wheel gun I have always wanted to own. I'll have to compare the specs on size and especially width and weight but I will look at it for sure.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I think the best snubbie is a 3 inch. The LCRx with 3 inch, good adjustable sights and larger grip would be what I would get today. Ruger SP101 3 inch would be good too. An IWB from Andrews Custom Leather will conceal these nicely.

I used to carry a 4 inch S&W M12-3. Lightweight and easy to hit with. A bit difficult to find these days.

JMHO.

Is the LCRx essentially the same gun with an exposed hammer?

I have a GP100 .357 6" that I have had forever. Great gun. If it's similar to that might be worth a look

But again weight and overall size/width are primary considerations here.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    One of my EDCs is a S&W 642. It works for me. With the current hysteria might be tough to find a nice used one, but that's how I got mine. In an upside down (think Steve McQueen in Bullitt) shoulder holster under a suit or sports jacket it carries very comfortably all day.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have a steel frame square butt 36 no dash 3” barrel and an LCR 2”. Both are chambered in 38 Special. I have Pachmyers on the Smith so hand filling is similar. Using same loads the LCR pushes back hard into the palm of your hand without alot of muzzle flip. It is fast to shoot. The 3” M36 has more muzzle flip and its push into the hand not as severe as LCR.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I have a Mod 37 S&W that is so light you forget you have it on. Newer stuff is lighter an has rust free finishes. Go to your local fun store an see what fits.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Personally I don't see much point in using a .357 in a gun with a 2" barrel...excessive flash and blast and too much lost velocity. In a snubby I think two quick hits with a good .38 Special works better than one loud blast from a .357 you have to pull out of recoil, blinded if in low light and that's if you don't drop the piece to hold your ears from the blast. A snubby that's chambered for a .357 is certainly nice and strong but probably not better for the immediate job.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Maybe find ye a used old Colt .38 Special Police Positive. Like that Old Time Religion, it was good enough for our fathers, and it's good enough for me (thee). :innocent0

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I have a Mod 37 S&W that is so light you forget you have it on. Newer stuff is lighter an has rust free finishes. Go to your local fun store an see what fits.

I'm going up to Cabelas next week. I know I can't buy there but hopefully they have a couple of the models listed in this thread to look at. The S&W airweight, Ruger LCR, and the Colt Night Cobra all have my attention at the moment.

I've had a lot of issues with Taurus/Rossi over the years and at this point I would just rather avoid them completely. The crap I'm going through right now involves a recalled Rossi. :mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom